Man that chains sharp!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winchester356

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Was getting firewood the other day around some houses and the guy comes over to me and is talking and he sees some noodles on the ground where I had noodled a big block of wood and says dang you must have that saw sharp. I have had that to happen several times, I usually just go along with them and say yea I filed it good today or something like that. Anyone else ever have someone to ask them something like that?

i just tell them that it's a trade secret and all i can say it a way of sharpening the back side of the tooth and it deceases drag :msp_biggrin:

I just tell them I will show them how to sharpen a chain but then I will have to kill them.:msp_biggrin:

I pulled that trick on my brother many years ago...!!

Told him the classic Southern redneck expression...."It's all in the wrist"..!!..:msp_thumbup:
:cheers:
J2F

I had a guy at work going on that he sharpened his chains until they made "ribbons" I just smiled and went about my day knowing he was full of "ribbons"

I had a guy at work going on that he sharpened his chains until they made "ribbons" I just smiled and went about my day knowing he was full of "ribbons"

The guy was probably telling the truth.

Depending on the species of wood and how green it is, a good sharp chain will pull chips that are like short ribbons when crosscutting. These "ribbons" are not long like the familiar "noodles" that result from cutting with the grain though. They are only somewhere in the neighborhood of an inch long.

Bob

I like to do this really simple, I focus on the cutting edge of the cutters - with just a little focus on the angle - and file the rakers down as the "soft" setting of the Husky raker guides tell me....

You would be surprised how many people think you can't or shouldn't rip cut a log. Most of them think it is bad for the chainsaw or chain.

Yep, happens all the time. Sometimes it's hard to get work done for the people standing around. :laugh:

It's amazing how many people come outside to watch someone cut up wood with a saw. I was at my neighbors house cutting some trees for him, and half the neighborhood was standing on their porch watching me sweat away cutting the thing up. :msp_confused:

It's amazing how many people come outside to watch someone cut up wood with a saw. I was at my neighbors house cutting some trees for him, and half the neighborhood was standing on their porch watching me sweat away cutting the thing up. :msp_confused:

if you where cutting up a tree in my neighborhood with an ax i'd wach but i'd have a lawn chair, 12 pack of long necks and a hibachi grill...

well i'm just starting to smell a skunk under my house that MF, the sweet smell of homeownership

Back