Manswers proves Jomoco wrong

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too Much safety equipment breeds complacency, and some safety features beg to be disabled when they hamper production.

Honestly they should be scary, very scary in fact. because no safety equipment or procedure will be followed when it is thought to be ridiculous, or if Danger isn't Obvious.
Like Spike says maybe if your this stupid you deserve to die.
http://www.veoh.com/collection/1000-Ways-to-Die/watch/v18457504wa8Xyj8S

It ruined the kid's whole day too.

This whole discussion seems to boil down to this:

Will we take responsibility for our own actions, or do we need a nursemaid?

Morbark, vermeer and bandit are going to answer that question sooner or later.

You'd think they have more incentive to reduce these fatalities involving their equipment than anyone else?

If you can make a safer chipper that reduces operator fatalities/injuries, why not do it?

These MFR's and TCIA should be leading the charge to establish WTC two man minimum mandates to limit their own liabilities so they have a leg to stand on in court.

jomoco

The same reason automobile MFR's now put seatbelts, airbags and crumple zones in their cars.

They save lives!

jomoco

These are all passive safety devices. Apples and oranges.
I like you and support the majority of what you say about treework Jo, but not on this chipper deal.
I have chipped more loads than I remember, no problem, except for once getting whacked in the head from a branch I fed into an old Whisper. And I was walking away at the time. You just can't fix stupid, the people that get chipped, if properly trained, only have themselves to blame. Maybe harsh, but true. I have been cut with chainsaws, once really bad, all my fault.

Anyways, Merry Christmas

Morbark, vermeer and bandit are going to answer that question sooner or later.

You'd think they have more incentive to reduce these fatalities involving their equipment than anyone else?

If you can make a safer chipper that reduces operator fatalities/injuries, why not do it?

These MFR's and TCIA should be leading the charge to establish WTC two man minimum mandates to limit their own liabilities so they have a leg to stand on in court.

jomoco

I think mandates are on the way from what I hear in some cities north of me.
Jeff

The same reason automobile MFR's now put seatbelts, airbags and crumple zones in their cars.

They save lives!

jomoco
Those don't impede efficiant operation, and they are effective, just how effective can safety be on a chipper without impeding function.

of course every device should have basic emergency shut downs, but the primary safety factor is diligent obidence of procedure, and respect for what can happen.

Perhaps the most effective would be to slow down the feed rate and all of us becoming a bit more patient.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/n.../teen_killed_in_wood_chipper_accident/307449/

Now you go ask the owner of that WTC whether he thinks a two man rule isn't a damn good idea?

jomoco

Poquoson Police Chief Cliff Bowen says the 14-year-old was part of a three-person crew working Sunday to remove tree limbs and debris from a home.

Now I have answered YOUR question, have you got the guts to answer mine?

What does draw my eye is this statement.

Jomoco
The fact that I have witnessed 3 separate close calls on my own jobs where a second WTC operator got to the reverse bar quick enough to save a trapped/incapacitated operator from sure death
If I had 1 near fatal accident on my site I would have called off the job. Shut down the gear. Gone home and worked out a better way and then retrained my guys. You claim to have had 3. This indicates a distinct lack of training and an embarrasing lack of care on the part of the business owner.

Exactly how are you training your guys that allows you to have 3 near fatal accidents?

Last edited:
Hey Jomoco - you are RIGHT!

Two men is best if they are doing it correctly. Only, should it be a rule/law? Do we need the BO, TCIA, OSHA, ANSI, etc...

Oh, BTW - just for laughs - what safety features would you mandate for firetrucks to prevent this type of accident...

2009-Evergreen+Fire+Rescue-FIREBIRD-1.JPG

:laugh:

Sweet 1969 Pontiac Firebird versus 48,000-pound Water Tender

Here's my only complaint. In Michigan they just passed a no smoking law. While I don't smoke, and am totally against smoking in certain areas, I must say I was a little disappointed. I figure if you're at a diner, and someone is smoking, and you don't like it, leave. I understand hospitals, gov't buildings, and public places like that, but not food establishments and bars. Let the social problems work themselves out on their own. If they say problems, the the masses must not be working hard enough.

As far as chippers, it's been my experience that training can't fix stupid. And according to the Good Book, it rains on the just as well as the unjust. I don't think we will ever solve all accidents in such a dangerous industry. However, think of the hundreds of thousands of hours chippers are being run world wide over the course of a year. Honestly, 20-30, or even 200-300, isn't doing too bad. You have to account for the people who are in a rush, and hot, and fatigued, and everything else. Numbers to me don't seem all that bad.

Just my two cents.

God Bless
Jeff

Hey, if you gonna get hit by a lateral limb that projects behind your body when the butt engages in the feed rollers....cut the damn thang off! There are no surprises here....the piece isn't gonna flip completely over and do a 360 and grab you. Clean the stem of the piece far enough from the butt to allow a safe escape.

If the piece is crooked....plan on getting outta the way in a hurry if the crook is behind you.

If the piece is not engaging get behind it and lift and push it rather than headlocking it or use a forked pusher stick.

Here's my only complaint. In Michigan they just passed a no smoking law. While I don't smoke, and am totally against smoking in certain areas, I must say I was a little disappointed. I figure if you're at a diner, and someone is smoking, and you don't like it, leave. I understand hospitals, gov't buildings, and public places like that, but not food establishments and bars. Let the social problems work themselves out on their own. If they say problems, the the masses must not be working hard enough.

As far as chippers, it's been my experience that training can't fix stupid. And according to the Good Book, it rains on the just as well as the unjust. I don't think we will ever solve all accidents in such a dangerous industry. However, think of the hundreds of thousands of hours chippers are being run world wide over the course of a year. Honestly, 20-30, or even 200-300, isn't doing too bad. You have to account for the people who are in a rush, and hot, and fatigued, and everything else. Numbers to me don't seem all that bad.

Just my two cents.

God Bless
Jeff
My name is Jeff and I smoke.
Jeff

My name is Jeff and I smoke.
Jeff

I got no problem with smoking or smokers. The smoke-aholic thing was funny.

I have a problem with the gov't assuming we're all too stupid to figure out this kinda stuff.

I'm with TV, little common sense saves your life, and limb, cut the laterals off/down before. I love when someone gets a hat or something "sucked" in the chipper by the brush. I'm always amazed at how they can be amazed.

God Bless

I got no problem with smoking or smokers. The smoke-aholic thing was funny.

I have a problem with the gov't assuming we're all too stupid to figure out this kinda stuff.

I'm with TV, little common sense saves your life, and limb, cut the laterals off/down before. I love when someone gets a hat or something "sucked" in the chipper by the brush. I'm always amazed at how they can be amazed.

God Bless

You sound amazed!
Jeff

Back