Manual Oiler help (homlite zip)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breezio

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all,

I finally got a chance to put the old zip into alot of wood and the manual oiler isn't putting out near enough oil, even if I'm constantly pumping it.

It occasionally makes this 'slurping' noise and puts out like a drop or two of oil... Anything I can do to fix it?
Pull the whole oiler unit apart and clean and inspect? Or is there something easy and obvious that I could possibly fix? When I pulled what I thought was the drain bolt out to drain out any old oil (hadn't been used in 15 years) it looked like there might be something special about it (little round gasket and holes in the bolt it's self...)
Nothing is leaking out of the oil tank... Is there something special about the drain bolt? Did I put it back in too tight?

I don't want to burn up my chain or bar. I'd appriciate help asap as I need to section out the big willow tree I just fell with it.

Thanks!!

chain oil

i have many of those zip saws.......if it's been sitting for 15 years the pump assembly needs a good cleaning. THE OLD OIL WILL TURN INTO GUM IN THOSE SMALL TUBES. I would remove the filter and hose inside the tank and clean them or try to blow compressed air to ensure there is no blockage. This is done on the back plug access beside the pumper knob which contains a small spring and a ball bearing that could be sticky. These could be gummy too. Other than that left is the oil line to the chain...again try to blow air in it to insure it is not block by old sawdust mixed with oil. There is an air vent beside the filler cap. Make sure that the cutter pin is free inside the hole to ensure proper tank venting otherwise by pumping the oiler will create a reverse vacuum...that's it. Good luck.

there is an air vent next to the filler cap? interesting. I'll try and blow some air through the line and such, it could probably use a good cleaning anyway I suppose.

Alright... I went through the system and re-read your post.. I think I found the problem. The first time I pulled that plug that has the spring and ball bearing in it a few months ago... I think the ball bearing fell out with the spring, but I only saw the spring, as that's all I put back in and now I don't have a ball bearing in there, which would explain the problems.

So now I think I need to either find that ball bearing (not likely) or try and find a replacment at a hardware store..

Thanks.

I have the Zip exploded parts diagram in PDF

part #25527

It has diameter listed, but the scan is rather fuzzy and I can't make out exactly what it is...

Here is a picture of it, Item #61, BALL-check

Check-Ball.jpg

RaisedByWolves said:
Pm me with your address and how many you need.

Thanks, will do. Unless you know the size and I can just grab one real quick at a local hardware store, I think they would carry something like that..

I have the actual Homelite part and its yours for the asking.

If you want to find it localy andy 1/8" size ballbearing will do.

Its up to you.

Thanks a bunch, I'll try and find the part today as I'm out and about working, if I can't, I'll shoot you another PM.

Thanks again!

oil pump

Your very welcome......i have dozens of those homelite saws.....i can take them appart blind folded.....anytime you have a question just ask......Alain,

Alright, got a 1/8" diamter ball from a local autoparts place and put it in. At the moment the problem seems to still exist, as soon as the kids go to bed I'm going to drain the tank and try and tear into it more...

When I unhook the oil line from the pump outlet, it seems to put out a TON of oil.. but as soon as I hook up the line I don't get alot out of the end, and lots of air...
The line does not apear to have any holes in it as there is no oil leaking from anywhere...

Ok, well I pulled the assembly out with the check ball seat, filter and such... the ball bearing I got fits down into the the peice the rubber hose is attached to... is this normal? it actually falls right through the middle of the spring also?!?!

I measured the ball, it is exactly 1/8" an inch... Do I just need to bend the spring a bit so it can actually hold the ball or what? Is the ball every so slightly too small and it's not supposed to fit down into the 'channel'... and it's actually supposed to rest on the top?

Also, I can't figure out how to get the plunger assembly out, I removed the button and exterior nut peice, but the assembly still doesnt' come out...?

Thanks!

Breezio said:
"Also, I can't figure out how to get the plunger assembly out, I removed the button and exterior nut peice, but the assembly still doesnt' come out...?"

This is the simple part, just pull, the "O" ring hangs up in the threded portion of the pump barrel. You may shred the "O"ring, you may not.

If oil comes out around the plunger shaft the ring needs replaced.

As far as the rest of this I would recommend blowing out the lines to remove any woodchips as I had the same trouble and went through all of this until I discovered mucho woodchips in my lines.

The check balls should be in front of the spring twords the oil tank side of the line. there should be one on either side of the oil pump but Im not sure exactly where they are on the zip. If its similar to my 4-20 or 700 I can investigate for you.

Mabye the manual could clear this up? Find yout UT# and look here.....http://odref.com/homelite/chainsaw/index.html

Cool thanks, I already have the exploded parts diagram. And I have no idea how to find the UT# for the zip.. hehe.

In any case... I bent the end of the check ball spring so that it can now hold the check ball, put everything back together... and now the pump works pretty well, yay! :clap:

Thanks for all the help everyone, now I can tackle bucking the big willow tree I took down last weekend.

Thanks again!

And just for fun, here is the ZIP in question on the Willow tree I just took down with it. I love this saw :)

ZIP_onwillow.JPG

RaisedByWolves said:
Nice saw.

The only problem with the old homies is you have to decided who to leave them to in your will.:laugh:

haha, no doubt about that, as far as I know, it was originaly my great grandfather's saw, my dad hadn't used it in 15 years when I got it from him just a few months ago. I'm amazed at how well it runs and how fast it cuts.

hmm...

Well, Still having problems, if I don't pump it at the exact right speed, it stops pumping and I hear a weird noise from the oil tank area. It's almost like a clunking noise or something. But it's not blowing bubbles out the end anymore.
I'm going to drain the tank again and take the plunger assembly out if I can and see what I can do with that..
Any ideas?

Back