Maple Prunning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crm4887

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have to prune the branches that are near my mother's house. But, would i remove too many branches while eliminating the hazard the tree poses to the house? Should the whole tree just be taken down? What are your thoughts?

Attached are the pictures of the tree adjacent to the house.

Thanks
Chris
Miller

What are your reasons for considering this tree to be a hazard, because it is a big tree near a house? If you do decide to prune some of the tree, consider hiring a qualified professional (no offense but I assume you are a homeowner and not a tree professional) to do the work for you. Have a look through the various arborist web forums and check out their respective "fatalities / injuries" threads in regards to homeowners doing their own work and paying dearly for it.

A branch on the opposite side blew down 2 years ago. If a branch went, the house would be severely damaged. I'm looking to prevent this. I have experience climbing and cutting trees, but i'm afraid if i prune to protect the house the tree will go into shock. Eventually dieing, and becoming real problem... Would i be better off to take the entire tree down?

Was two years ago this tree the only one which had broaken-damaged branches, or it was some wery strong wind that caused the damage on many trees on area near it?
If this tree was the single one on yours area and the broaken branch was roted then the tree can have a more serious problem.
If to prune it, IMO, this probably can be done in several stages. At one year some smaller brances or parts of branches. After some years later prune some another branches, etc. At the same time look how tree is reacting. Like are the new sprouts growing out the trunk, etc. Estimate its vitality.

pruning to reduce hazard would best be done in stages most likely. as previously mentioned. I would hesitate to remove more than 20% in one pruning session, do it over a fewyears and the tree will likely be happier. reduce the stems that have potential conflict with house parts and see if the tree can still prosper afterwards. be careful and please dont take on more than you are able.

That one big lower limb that forks and looks to be leaning toward the home.
I'd be real concerned about that one.
Based on the 20% recommendation above, consider having a pro take at least that threat.
One thing you do see in parks where an especially valued tree is being maintained is a steel support structure for lower limbs. Not always attractive though.

smokechase II said:
That one big lower limb that forks and looks to be leaning toward the home.
I'd be real concerned about that one.
Based on the 20% recommendation above, consider having a pro take at least that threat.

??? And then start lining up estimates for the removal of the rest of the tree. Cutting a limb that large on a maple would be a death sentence, maple does not seal over well and a cut that large would surely start decaying and that's the end of the tree. A professional evaluation would be first step, no pics of the other wound from the ripped out limb. If the tree is determined to be sound some tip reduction, cutting back from the house and deadwood pruning would be all it needs. 20% rule applies but be careful making large cuts on maple, they do not handle it well.

Latest posts

Back