Maple scale

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkurzend

Reaction score
We live in southern Indiana and have several well-established (~40 ft) red maples which are suffering in varying degrees from scale on the twigs and also cottony maple scale on the leaves. Two of these are in pretty bad shape - they've been dropping leaves all season and 1 has lost the entire crown of the tree. This just became apparent this year.

What types of treatment are recommended for this problem? Are there good systemic-type fungicides/pesticides we can use to treat the trees ourselves (there are about 12 that need treatment). Are the 2 really sick ones worth saving, or will they probably die anyway (about 30 - 50% of tree defoliated).

Thanks.

With as much damage as you discribe these trees sound like they are really stressed. I would recommend having someone licensed (here in Virginia you must have a special license to spray) to evaluate and recommend an aggressive approach to reduce the scale has much as possible.

Then look into a follow-up this coming spring to get a jump on the problem.

Also, you need to try an restore some vigor back to the trees, water, fertilize, prune dead wood and mulch.

all scales are best controlled during the crawler stage. cottony maple scales crawlers come out in late june and july (one generation) I spray horticultural oil at 2gal/100 or 5Tbl/gal mixed with Tempo at 1.5oz/100. as for the other scale , it would be a good idea to identify it and treat accordingly. Merit is effective on some scales , and is a systemic soil drench or injection , but i dont have my reference book with me at the moment. do not overfertilize your trees because that could increase scale problems. john

Back