Maple tree question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Move it 10 feet or so away from the tree!:popcorn:

I Agree. I've been in the post frame business now for about 12 years. I would say either move as Sawyer said, or if you really like your chimney rent a good ole partner saw and cut the concrete around your chimney tear the slab out as well as the rest of your pavillian. You can then build yourself a new pavillian in its place with 6 x 6 Wolmanized posts. If you don't need to park anything in there you can then build a raised deck. Most Equipment rental companys will have tractors or skidsteers (Bobcats) with augers that you can rent for a day and they will bust through 2-3" roots O.k. Your local Lumber yard can help you with design and basic instructions on how to built it. The roots really shouldn't bother the wolmanized posts. You save your pavillion and your tree and your fireplace!

Nofear

Don't you think he could temporarily support the pavilion, drill holes, and replace with treated poles. Seems like a lot of work to tear down and rebuild. I agree with cutting the concrete if the slab goes under the fireplace but I think it is possible the fireplace is already seperate from the slab.

How about plate-tamped stone dust [screenings] for the floor? It makes a surface almost like concrete. If it gets lumpy from the roots just add more stone and plate tamp again.

Removing large limbs is a bad idea. The tree can be shaped the way you want it with small cuts by an experienced climber. The roots can be pruned carefully and be kept away from your building.

If you just get someone to hack away at either branches or roots you will ruin your asset in the tree.

Face it, either the tree goes or the cement goes.

Nofear

Don't you think he could temporarily support the pavilion, drill holes, and replace with treated poles. Seems like a lot of work to tear down and rebuild. I agree with cutting the concrete if the slab goes under the fireplace but I think it is possible the fireplace is already seperate from the slab.

Yes that would work to. Typically on something that small it just easier to rip it out and start over. However, taking another look at the pix it may not be that hard to slip some new post under there. Also it does look like the slab is poured around the fireplace. That much wieght I'd have to imagine that there is a footing down there. Either way, if you are willing to get your hands a little dirty you can save both.

Back