Maple with red leaves in N.E.?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonBull

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What kind of maple trees in the new england area ould have red leaves in the summer? Would this be a Jap? or a red? or something different altogether?

Thanks

Large leaves, shallow sinuses, samaras almost 180 degrees, Follow me? If not google the tree.

Japs are red too but if you cant id that find a new line of work

WOW thanks for the fats reply!!
And for my first flame on my FIRST post :blob2:

Norway OK......Bark kind of like a red though..right?

I have only been doing this for a month so I wont be looking for a new line of work quite yet...still a lot to learn and I like the work so..........

Didn't mean to rip you, Jap maples are pretty obvious ya know. The one you refer to looks like Norways with large crimson almost purple leaves, they almost always look like they are in a spot where a human would have planted them?

Keep on Keepin on! It is an awsome life and way to make a livin!

The reason I ask is I was doing a red maple for a customer this weekend and she said it wasnt a red that the one over there was a red b/c it had red leaves..it was in her neighbors backyard and couldnt have been more than 20 feet tall thats why the jap came to mind....

Could have been, they(customers) also call the crimsons reds, they aren't, they also call every evergreen a pine.Its kind of funny but sometimes it gets frustrating,grin and bear it I guess, right?
Couple weeks ago I removed a Large sugar maple in extreme decline at my folks house. My neighbor comes out and says he's got a "silver oak" too he wanted me to look at, it was an ash tree. He had a "walnut" he wanted out, it was a mulberry. There were others but after the second time I hinted he was wronge you would think he would stop trying talk like he knew what he was talking about. He didn't. :)

Yeah after teling her twice that red maples have green leaves I just started my saw real quick in between sentences...... ;) and she dissapeared.

Do you climb?

Ya, I started holding a bull rope one sat 2 years ago as a favor. I love it and I am far from that now. I've been running a saw since I was a young'n. A few years ago my buddy was in UNH's forestry associates program and tought me how to propelry fell trees. Getting paid to slay giants and play in trees, every boy's dream, I can't imagine anything else now. :)

Yeah same here. I grew up in central Massachusetts farm country. I always had a good rough idea and then the classes the utilities I worked for offered helped. Now I am trying to get the "Professional" way of trimming/felling down. If your ever up in this area maybe we could hook up for a few beers and some climbing tricks of the trade!!

You in Bos or western Mass? I am smack dab in the middle of Ct. Arbormaster training and literature helps to when you have no one responsible to turn to.

I live in Lynn about 15 minutes north of Boston on the ocean. Used to live out by west of Worcester though 1 town from the CT border

Cool my bro lives in somerville, probably should be on diff thread or keep talkin maple trees. Anyway, next time I'm up that way we'll hang. That would be wicked awsome! Or just go up there, or if you find youself down here. Any way, let stay in touch.

A good chance. They can grow pretty tall for an ornemntal, especially around here where people have been planting for hundreds of years. I would say an old japanese maple could easily reach 20-30 feet. Once you know what they are you will always be able to ID one.

While your at your computer, google it. Deep sinuses(can look like a red pot leaf) and smooth bark are two dead give aways. If it is an eastern tree field guide it will most likley not have a japanese maple in it.

Latest posts

Back