Maples 60'-80' 5 of them, Would like to know how much it usally cost to trim trees up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cut4fun

Faster is Better
Reaction score
Maples 60'-80' 5 of them, So what is the black stuff in the last pits?

I have 5 big maples in front of my house, about 30' away from the front deck. 1 is 10' to a power wire and 5' from a shed. The other 4 are wide open area. Just was wondering what the usual cost is to trim up and open up all 5. This is really needed this year do the the ice strom. All I want is the limbs cut and dropped. I will do all the clean up work. A bucket truck would be needed I think. I do trim all my own trees, but these are just to far up for me. I already fell once from 20' and dont plan on doing that again. If you have ideas on prices either way clean up and not, would like to know. Thanks.

Last edited:
Given even approximate prices is tough to do over the internet. To get a better idea open the yellow pages. Call as many tree services as you want and listen to what they each have to say. Dont hire the first guy. Hourly rates for tree services may seem high to some, but a good tree guy can do a LOT of work in an hour. Good luck and let us know how you do!

The only one I have talked to so far gave the prices of $800 with clean up and $600 without. He stated he gets $80 a hour. Sound close to you?

The reason I am wondering this, is 9 years ago the same tree service was done without cleanup to 6 big maples trees for $240. Has it really went up that much? 5 of the big maples is what they quoted me for.

Even different areas have drastically different rates. Where in Ohio are you?
-Ralph

60 to 80 foot maples are big trees. Without standing there looking at them discussing with you exactly what you want its tough to tell. To me his price does not sound too far off the mark. Is he the only tree service in your area? If he is I will be movin there soon! lol

North central Ohio, near Mansfield in open country. I counted 2 in the phone book for my town. Was the only one 9 years ago in this town. There is alot more 20 mins east and 25 mins west. But figure the drive here from that far drives up the price too.

Dont be afraid to call for another estimate from a few of them "far away" companies. Most estimates are free, and most tree companies are slow this time of year.

25 min, for a no cleanup, I'd throw the gear and a groundman in a pickup. For cleanup, I'd have to bring a truck and chipper, and yep, that'd raise the rates.
There are options, but whoever does it still has to make a living.
-Ralph

Timbermaster said:
9 years ago the same tree service was done without cleanup to 6 big maples trees for $240.
Man, you are talking about apples and grapefruit when you are comparing routine cleaning and raising pruning vs. restoration pruning after ice damage.

It takes a lot more time and effort to get your trees right after damage, plus they have grown a bit in 9 years have they not? The trees are delivering a far greater benefit now; should be no shock that maintaining that benefit costs more, and well worth it. :angel:

Post a picture if you want more informed opinions.

How do you post a pit on this site? I got pits of trees stored on puter, But cant seem to post them on this site. Ideas?

Here is the 2nd pit. Have not figured out how to put more then one pit to a post. Thanks for help.

Tall trees. Are you getting quotes from companies wiht bucket trucks?

And, what are you maintaining the invisible but equally important part of the trees, their roots?

The guy that did the trees 9 years ago is who looked at them last week. He said roots and all look healthy and fine. Yes one bucket truck, with NO CLEAN UP needed. I cut the wood up and use it in my bonfire. I just couldnt beleive that the price went from $240 9 years ago to $600 now without clean up. He said if clean up wanted it would be $800. I just thought this was a heck of a jump in price and wanted others opinons. Thanks.

That price here would be a bargin, in this area we would be charging around 600 a tree for the crown restoration. 9 years is a long time, all costs have gone way up. Every time I place an order now I am notified that there has been an increase in the products price.

Regarding the price increase:

Consider that the trees are now 9 years taller/bigger.

Also consider that the tree guy you hired had 9 years less experience then the one who just looked at your trees. Same name, yes, but hopefully NOT the same insurance.

What do you want done to the trees? It looks like some of the precious lower limbs have already been cut...the tree has been "raised." Unless needed, please refrain from doing this any further.

I think the rate he quoted you is great. But I know everyone here wants you to call like 10 companies and report back to us what each of them say. The advice to NOT take the first bid was very sound advice. You could bring 10 tree guys over there and they'll all tell you 10 different things. But you should see some themes in what they are all saying. Combine that with the (hopefully) sound advice you get here and you should come up with something that is good for you, the trees, and the tree guys that do the work.

love
nick

NickfromWI said:
Regarding the price increase:

What do you want done to the trees? It looks like some of the precious lower limbs have already been cut...the tree has been "raised." Unless needed, please refrain from doing this any further.
I think most of the trimming needed on your treess is above the reach of a bucket truck. The tendancy is to over-prune the first 65' or so the bucket reaches and nothing above that. Your trees need a good climber who'll climb out to the hard to get places. Climbers are always looking for side work in my experience. Forget hiring a whole tree service, you need one climber and one ground helper. That said the prices don't seem too out of the ballpark to me. Good luck! Your climber could be swimming around this post trying to decide whether or not to bite as I type. Could be a 2-day deal depending on the climber.

Latest posts

Back