Maples 60'-80' 5 of them, Would like to know how much it usally cost to trim trees up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bases and roots

treeseer said:
I spent 1.5 hours in a fairly big red maple today; not as tall but with lower limbs largely intact. it had mild-moderate damage from the ice storm 2 years ago. Nowhere near the tip work needed on some in the pics, if I'm seeing right.

'Negative benefit' :laugh: , we'll have to start calling you Diplomatic Dan.

Timber, post a pic of the trunks, especially if you see any areas with black streaks. I'm seeing a lot of Phytophthora on older maples lately; today's tree had it and woodborers too. :angry:

Also please post a pic of the scar tissue growing around those pruning wounds from 9 years ago. If the wounds are closed, maybe these critics will ease up on you.

O and those other tree guys who haven't come by to give a free estimate--maybe they're too busy, or maybe they think you're a price-shopper who doesn't care about quality. :alien:
People get crazy ideas, you never know from where.

Got 6 pits of bases and roots.will put 5 on this one 5 on next post of tops. only found one with black stuff on base. took 2 pits of it.

Tree tops and black on 1 base.

2nd pit of black stuff on 1 base and tree tops.

Cleaned up 2 smaller maples

NickfromWI said:
Wait, if you had to pay for it, and one doc said $643,359.00, I might be inclinded to ask for a second opinion!

Let's get back on topic.

How're those trees coming along?

love
nick

Cleaned up 2 of the smaller maples today myself. Still 5 big ones to go. Glad I didnt get it done yet. We had high winds mixed with ice and snow and brought down more limbs. Posted 10 pits earlier.

OK good, only one trunk shows disease. But all your trees have mower damage; please mulch.

Re scarring around old wounds, if those limbs were cut 9+ years ago, that looks like a poor effort to seal over. Your trees are in poor vigor; test the soil, fertilize and mulch.

Mulch! Is 3 times a charm?

black stff info?

treeseer said:
OK good, only one trunk shows disease. But all your trees have mower damage; please mulch.

So what is this black stuff on the one tree base? What does it do? How do I keep it from spreading to others? How do I get rid of it on the one it is on?

you'll need to send some very clear closeups for us to try a diagnosis.

Search Phytophthora for some background.

There's also the possibility that could be sooty mold growing on sapflow from a wound. I see it quite commonly on maple with sapsucker damage. But like guy says, we would need much closer up pictures to hazard a diagnosis. Oh, and like he said.... Mulch!

black stuff

alanarbor said:
There's also the possibility that could be sooty mold growing on sapflow from a wound. I see it quite commonly on maple with sapsucker damage. But like guy says, we would need much closer up pictures to hazard a diagnosis. Oh, and like he said.... Mulch!

There is scars above each black area I found on the one trees trunks area. Here is the best 3 pits I could get of it.

Treeseer and Alanabor does the pits help out with the black stuff?

Back