Maples 60'-80' 5 of them, Would like to know how much it usally cost to trim trees up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They look like there'd be more climbing then cutting in those trees. Say an average of 2 hrs each at the outside, @ 65/ hr

65 x 2 x 5 = 650

But as Guy said, pom and citrus comparisons. You need to know what each practitioner will be doing beyond "trim tree". Is he tip climbing to reduce wound size, or cutting big limbs to impress you with the amount of brush he can generate?

65 per hour? Man I have a very nice elm in my back yard, I'll drink beer and watch.

They told me here in north central ohio they get $80 hour now. Waiting for the others to return calls for just getting a darn price and look see. Must not be many hungry people in these parts. Just the one I used 9 years ago showed up the day I called. Hmm maybe that should tell me something about the rest. But I would still like to see what the others would tell me. Thanks all for the advice.

I think 2 hours per tree is a bit low. I'd say 2.5 to 3 per tree, especially considering that the climber is doing five tall/skinny maples. Also need a guy on the ground to pull your rope out from all the brush piles and tie on tools.

2 men 12.5 hrs=25 man hours @ $45/mnhr= $2250

Thats my bid. To chip the brush I go to $55/mnhr.

A bucket won't touch what those trees need (crown reduction). They already top heavy.

Those trees look like they already have been trimmed, like Mike says. I was on a big maple topping, removal show today, reminded me why I don't like them. The holding wood on maple should be called the let go wood. Didn't like topping them, didn't mind cutting some of them down, at least I talked the customer out of topping any of his conifers. I say leave them alone. If they really bother you, cut them down.

Mike, you're right that some don't need much, but by the pics a couple had a lot of broken tips, or else maple branches in OH grow at some weird angles.
And don't get too excited about Kentucky saying "reduction"; it looks more like a pole-pruner than a chain-saw job.

JPS you are really low, in time and rate. I've seen climbers take 30+ minutes just setting a line in trees like that. Plus you got to go back to the old extreme raising cuts (good :Eye: Nick in CA) to clean rotten stubs and thin sprouts, no doubts.

They did look bucketable to me but what do I know about buckets, not much. :(

Timber I would not take anyone's casual opinion about the condition of the roots. Have you tested the soil? Is it at least mulched?

http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/mulching.asp

http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/pruning_mature.asp

http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/mature_care.asp

Spent 30 plus minutes setting a line......ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Treehugger, I mean seer, that must be frustrating as hell. I could have already spurred up there hacked away and come down on my tautline in 30 minutes, cheers.

Yeah they were trimmed by the ice storm that knocked out alot of 8' to 14" limbs. Thats the problem the one by the shed hangs close to my power wire and took it out by a falling limb. Being the trees were esimated 80-90 years old I would assume at one time someone thought they would like trees lining the property, who knows what someones thinking was back then. Being that there is 2 other maples farther down from those trees, but no problems of hitting anything, I do them myself.

I spent 1.5 hours in a fairly big red maple today; not as tall but with lower limbs largely intact. it had mild-moderate damage from the ice storm 2 years ago. Nowhere near the tip work needed on some in the pics, if I'm seeing right.

'Negative benefit' :laugh: , we'll have to start calling you Diplomatic Dan.

Timber, post a pic of the trunks, especially if you see any areas with black streaks. I'm seeing a lot of Phytophthora on older maples lately; today's tree had it and woodborers too. :angry:

Also please post a pic of the scar tissue growing around those pruning wounds from 9 years ago. If the wounds are closed, maybe these critics will ease up on you.

O and those other tree guys who haven't come by to give a free estimate--maybe they're too busy, or maybe they think you're a price-shopper who doesn't care about quality. :alien:
People get crazy ideas, you never know from where.

I know that the lower limbs were missing when I bought this place 11 years ago. So I know for a fact they were not cut with the trimming 9 years ago as some think. It was a old run down farm house rental that someone not caring just cut them lower limbs. You know how renters can be. I did have to cut closer on the tree limbs so it could get growth to the wound area. They have grown over nicely I'd say, considering they had foot stumps sticking out. You want pits of the trunks and wounds treeseer?

It would be nice. And yes I agree that all you need is the ice damage repaired,and not very much pruning. The trees are already elevated a little much.

treeseer said:
I've seen climbers take 30+ minutes just setting a line in trees like that.

Now now, I think I set 3 lines in those (2) 75-90 ft willow oaks that day ;) You came back when i got the last one stuck for maybe 10 min. Ox was working when I started up and went right out over the house to start working.

Selective memories from 3 years ago :rolleyes:

That was the property where Mikey Oxman was hitting on a chick and she said "well I'm only 16!"

:laugh:

Timbermaster, first I commend you for coming here and asking. Most people would just take the first affordable bid and said, "Do it!" Kudos to you for wondering what the best way is. (Actually, you started out asking what the right PRICE would be! But you're sticking with us on this!)

Don't let anyone like Clearance do those trees. Yes, he and anyone else here could spike up those trees in a few minutes. Quality of treework is not determined by how soon your feet leave the ground an how big of a pile you make.

Do those trees shade your house?

love
nick

John Paul Sanborn said:
Now now, I think I set 3 lines in those (2) 75-90 ft willow oaks that day ;)
Hey JPS gypsy, I wasn't even thinking of that day. I have seen far slower efforts to set a line from other guys, with and without a bs. (Besides, all that changes depending on your perspective. It's like when I ride with my wife sometimes, yeegads :Eye: ! But being in the passenger seat makes you react more.)

You wouldn't be feelin defensive about anything now wouldja? :eek: The memories are all good.

What about climbing out of the bucket, all this talk about a bucket not reaching high enough and the laughable picture of a guy taking 1/2 hour to get a rope up it, never mind humping up the rope to actually do anything. I climb out of the Hi-Ranger a lot (with my spurs of course), you guys could put your climbing line up there from the bucket as well. Use a pole pruner with a couple of extensions, tie in and get your groundman to cradle the boom. On multiple removals you can get moved from tree to tree with the bucket, could do it here, guess for you guys you would have to keep the pruner handy. Couldn't see that taking very long.

attachment_21668.php

Clearance, I don't think you're quite getting it. We're talking about how to properly care for the tree. You're talking about how to quickly make some money.

love
nick

Treeco-Thanks for telling me I can pick up my final cheque, mail it to me. If any of you spur hating tree huggers came to work for my boss, other tree services or Asplundh Canada here you wouldn't even last the day. I could just see a G.F. watching you trying to set your throwline "get up that feking tree, what is the holdup". Gone before lunch. Nick- quit giving me a hard time, and climb however you want. I just said to climb out of the bucket to make it easier.

I would say $600 is a good deal, I know I would charge at least $200 per tree if not more. The way I see it is your trees health is an investment and something that should not always go to the lowest bidder. Would you shop around for the lowest price on heat surgery if you needed it? highly doubtful...so don't just subject your trees to hacks that are only out to make a quick buck.

Lumberjacked said:
Would you shop around for the lowest price on heart surgery if you needed it? highly doubtful...

Wait, if you had to pay for it, and one doc said $643,359.00, I might be inclinded to ask for a second opinion!

Let's get back on topic.

How're those trees coming along?

love
nick

Latest posts

Back