Maruyama won't start...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

High_Plains_Sis

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Got my MCV51 about a month ago....fired it up, cut some trees, and came back about two weeks later and I can not get it to start....nothing. It sounds like it wants to start at times, but doesn't...I'm pretty frustrated.
Advice?
Help?
Tricks?

It's like my Stihl MS250 before I Modded the muffler - floods easily. In some cases my MCV51 doesn't need to be choked at all. I've sense modded its muffler and retuned the carb - works great!

Found this on another site....this is exactly what mine does:
Choke doesn't seem to matter... won't start at any setting. Pulled the plug out and it's sparking, so I'm assuming its a fuel problem somewhere. There is definitely fuel getting in though, because the plug is wet when I pull it.

Also, it alternates between pulling smoothly when you tug the cord and sorta resisting as if the engine is seized. Can't figure out why it would go back and forth though...

Got my MCV51 about a month ago....fired it up, cut some trees, and came back about two weeks later and I can not get it to start....nothing. It sounds like it wants to start at times, but doesn't...I'm pretty frustrated.
Advice?
Help?
Tricks?

@fordf150 is Dolmar man and he says to stay away from the choke. Use the choke only on first attempt if even then. The MCV51 is a Dolmar 5105 with different colors.

When you pulled the plug and said it's wet, did there seem to be excessive fuel inside, where you using the choke? Flood one bad and it can take awhile to finally get it started.

I'm pretty sure it was flooded. However, when I first tried to start it (about 30 mins worth) I got nothing. What do I need to do now that it is probably flooded?

IMHO, pull the plug, turn the saw upside down to drain excess fuel, wipe saw and plug off, put plug back in and wait until tomorrow. Try starting by pulling choke on then push back off before pulling cord.

Doesn't your MCV51 have the easy start recoil system? Reread starting instructions.

this is the starting procedure i use.

1. flip choke on then flip choke off(this sets the high idle)
2. pull 3-4 times, it should start or "pop" within the first couple pulls.

if it doesnt pop or start in those first 3-4 pulls then flip the choke on and try starting as normal.

that procedure works great for me and generally my 5105 and 7910 start on the first pull even after setting for a week or 2.

the problem arises from the tank vent not venting to the atmosphere(thank you EPA) and it causes pressure to build in the fuel tank that over powers the metering spring pushing fuel into the engine while it sets. Some guys have experimented with stiffer metering springs to cure the problem and from what I have read it has fixed it. Someone posted over on O P E about this and posted the part number for the walbro metering spring and someone reposted the info in a thread here just a couple weeks ago so the info should be fairly easy to dig up

I have not tried any "fixes" on mine or my customers because once you know to not use the choke they start on 1-2 pulls which I have grown to love. Nothing like picking up your saw thats been sitting for 2 weeks and in 1 pull its running.

I followed your guy's advice and got it started, but it won't idle and the carb smokes like crazy when it shuts off....

I followed your guy's advice and got it started, but it won't idle and the carb smokes like crazy when it shuts off....
"Smoking like crazy" my be just when the saw is cleaning out the excessive oil from flooding. Usually it takes a few moments run time to clear up. I usually just do a few cuts in a nice trunk and everything is fine then.

"Smoking like crazy" my be just when the saw is cleaning out the excessive oil from flooding. Usually it takes a few moments run time to clear up. I usually just do a few cuts in a nice trunk and everything is fine then.

I was thinking the same thing, but didn't know for sure....this is my first saw.

The inconsistent resistance from the pull starter is due to the easy start recoil. If you try to drop start an easy start equipped saw it will jerk you around a little.

Back