Mastermind Meets The MS362C-M

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I do a thread on this topic?

• Total voters
Why is it that OEMs leave all this performance on the table? Surely if there's nearly 40% to be had, they could have made it that way to begin with. EPA?

Big difference between a 40% power increase and a 40% increase in cut times. l think a lot of folks believe a saw that cuts 40% faster has 40% more hp.......far from the case. There are many things that can be tuned to increase cut times and probably the most beneficial being a well filed chain.Todays saws are about chain speed and chains need to be on the money for them to peform. The OEM has to put a product on the shelf that is a comprimise of many factors, regulations and requirements. OEM engineers are producing more power with less fuel/emissions while ever improving functionality of their products. Non OEM AS saw builders have one requirement they need to meet.....more power/faster cut times. l bet if OEM engineers had all the restaints taken away and were told to just worry about power increases 90% the hard work would dissapear. Just my 2cents.....& yes l do love ported saws.

Well said.

It's raining here.......so I'm grinding on a few units.

Jon just peeled out for a cruise.....I'm shorthanded now for sure. He does all the work. :cry:

Randy said once he got a 26 per cent increase just by using square chain on a 261.I may have to try some.The differants in the fastest times of both saw was 3 hundredth of a second.
If you are looking for square chain to run on the 550, it will be hard to find unless you convert it yourself, have someone else file/grind it square, or switch to standard 3/8" chain. I have a loop of .325 Stihl RS that I had Randy/Jon grind square for me and that chain cuts real good as well. Just not quite as fast as the masterpiece Hedgerow sent me. :)

I wish we had had more time Ted, as I would have liked to run my 261 and your 550 with the same/similar chains. What a great weekend that was!

Got the r kit in for my masterminded 362c. It included 3/420140529_120522.jpg 20140529_120224.jpg bar, oversize clutch cover with rubber deflector , dual spike set and roller and all hardware to mount. It will also wear the 18" Sugihara bar. I included the stihl oem stock number for the whole kit

I put square file chain on both saws earlier this year and it is still on both of them. Also gave a loop to MechanicMatt for his 76 cc Husky hybrid and another loop to my brother for his MS 460. That chain has stayed on all 4 saws, it does make a nice difference. Once you try it, it is hard to take it off. Luckily, I seemed to be able to sharpen it right from the start.

If anyone tries it I would recommend studying the sharpening angles on Madsen's website. I'm using PFRED Three Square files (#17082).

I usually try to cut clean wood. I used to use Stihl RS. The Stihl square stays sharp just as long and just cuts faster. When the wood is not clean I usually try to cut the dirty part from the inside out so you don't jam the grit between your chain and the wood.

As always, when the wood is not clean you have to sharpen more often (with any chain), but semi chisel will work better in dirty conditions.

Big difference between a 40% power increase and a 40% increase in cut times. l think a lot of folks believe a saw that cuts 40% faster has 40% more hp.......far from the case. - snip

I'm talking about performance increases due to changes made by the porters that increase the working rpm of the saw or increased power output that allows running a bigger rim. Swapping to a different grind or filing a sharper chain isn't performance left on the table by the oem.

Back