Mastermind Meets The MS880

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:dizzy: You're kidding............right?

Steve

Yeah I'm kidding Steve. That jug is for my Partner 4 cube. I'm building it for the GTG at Terry's in June. :)

Here's a few more pics.

Partnerandstuff007.jpg

Partnerandstuff010.jpg

Partnerandstuff009.jpg

Partnerandstuff008.jpg

Randy in the big leagues I like it. As always you out did yourself. That thing when you were done with it literally leaps into the wood. Very noticeable, big difference.:clap:

No. 65cc Partner closed port jugs are getting hard to find.

Wiggs was trying to hit me up for one of those too. Apparently you two have a lot of similar ideas about saw building...

Closed-port Partner jugs would be more easily found back east. There weren't many dealers for those saws here
in the west and even the few dealers here didn't sell but only a handful of units. The mid-sized Macs, Homies, Stihls,
and Huskies ruled the roost at that time...

Wiggs was trying to hit me up for one of those too. Apparently you two have a lot of similar ideas about saw building...

Closed-port Partner jugs would be more easily found back east. There weren't many dealers for those saws here
in the west and even the few dealers here didn't sell but only a handful of units. The mid-sized Macs, Homies, Stihls,
and Huskies ruled the roost at that time...

We do compare notes. :D

Jacob is right, there seem to be a few around here that pop-up on KIJIJI every so often. As a matter of fact I have one (powerhead), that is going to a new home this afternoon :hmm3grin2orange:

Steve

Im only new to porting and man im way to neat by the looks of it lol..i stuff about tryng to get it perfect i can see humps and bumps and not a straight line as such in any of the lips of any port and left to right does not look the same does this not matter? do you just free hand it all, i think i take to much time trying to get it just right..... like i say am only new to porting...:msp_smile: like i say im only new to porting i dont know if thats done or you have more to do yet?...anyways good job thanks for posting so people new to porting like me can take it in and hope to one day get the hang of it.....:msp_smile:

Do more research and post less. If you "straight edge" some port the engine will destroy itself.

is it ok that the curve of the port as such can have humps and bumps? i mean if it dont matter i dont have to try and get the humps and bumps out soooooo sorry dude:msp_unsure: time is money and what works works.......

Well I know absolutely nothing about porting, but I do know that Randy(Mastermind) has two woods port buildoff competition wins (Stihl 046/460&066/660) under his belt and ports saws for a livin'. thats enough for me not to question anything he does, just to watch and admire. ;)

have you checked rpms in the cut with your tach ? sounds pretty happy for a 880 ,does it rev like a 660 after it was modded ?

great work randy,
as brad said, i too was less than impressed with this (my) saw in stock form, although it had gobs of torque, the lack of rpm/chain speed was a big let down for me...
i think i'm probably somewhat spoiled by my ported ms460 and ms360......
it looks like this saw will actually be "fun to run" now !!!!
what do you figure the final gains are randy ??
great job... me happy...

opps sorry just for you i will post more :msp_tongue: lol anyways i think most get what i was saying i did not mean a true straight edge i was trying to say is it ok that the curve of the port as such can have humps and bumps? i mean if it dont matter i dont have to try and get the humps and bumps out soooooo sorry dude:msp_unsure: time is money and what works works.......

No need to apologize for anything. The pics are just 2D and it's hard to envision the depth of those transfer ports......it's tough to get the back of them really flat. I could keep trying till I cut through or hog them out.......but they will run great on this work saw. I probably go much further in the transfers than most builders do anyway........I often wonder if I should do as much as I do. :(

:popcorn::popcorn:

Pass it on Bro. :rock:

have you checked rpms in the cut with your tach ? sounds pretty happy for a 880 ,does it rev like a 660 after it was modded ?

I've misplaced my dang tach......

great work randy,
as brad said, i too was less than impressed with this (my) saw in stock form, although it had gobs of torque, the lack of rpm/chain speed was a big let down for me...
i think i'm probably somewhat spoiled by my ported ms460 and ms360......
it looks like this saw will actually be "fun to run" now !!!!
what do you figure the final gains are randy ??
great job... me happy...

I'm gonna go back in and change a few little things..........more later. I'm convinced that I can wring a little more outta this beast. :)

I'm gonna go back in and change a few little things..........more later. I'm convinced that I can wring a little more outta this beast. (quote mastermind)

sounds great to me !!!
ida allready said to go ahead and change the sprocket on the bar to 3/8ths if i did'nt have so much in 404 chains allready..... as well as my 59" b/c setup that's 404/063 as well............... all my other stuff is .050 guage
i'm in no hurry, do whatcha like !!!!

Latest posts

Back