Mastermind Meets The MS880

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soon likely won't happen as most porters are booked up. The coil mounting is an issue with the newer 880's. A 361 or 441 coil is supposed to work but those are reported to have some tuning issues. If you trim the limiters and add another port to the muffler you will make some gains, but the limited rpm coil is not your friend on these saws. Unlike old big saws, these need rpm to make power. But porting will broaden the torque range a great deal. In fact no comparison. There is a Masterminded 088 in the for sale section right now. And at $1200 its a steal. That would probably a better way to go than working over a new saw.

Soon likely won't happen as most porters are booked up. The coil mounting is an issue with the newer 880's. A 361 or 441 coil is supposed to work but those are reported to have some tuning issues. If you trim the limiters and add another port to the muffler you will make some gains, but the limited rpm coil is not your friend on these saws. Unlike old big saws, these need rpm to make power. But porting will broaden the torque range a great deal. In fact no comparison. There is a Masterminded 088 in the for sale section right now. And at $1200 its a steal. That would probably a better way to go than working over a new saw.
The problem with the tuning issues after the coil swap are directly related to the stock carb ,boot and muffler ,once the muffler is opened up and the carb swapped along with the older style boot it is as easy to tune any other non limited saw

hello, does anyone know the difference in crankcase design of the ms880 pre 2009 and post 2009.
Is there a significant difference between 1124 020 2116 which is flywheel side pre, and the 1124 020 2903 chain side post 2009?

The only differences I know of are the coil mounts and muffler mounting points are changed for the post 09 model

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

The only differences I know of are the coil mounts and muffler mounting points are changed for the post 09 model

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
thank you for replying split post; I am wondering, swapping out the carburetor, what model are you putting in? does anyone have an old carburetor for the ms880 they are not using and would sell?

thank you for replying split post; I am wondering, swapping out the carburetor, what model are you putting in? does anyone have an old carburetor for the ms880 they are not using and would sell?
I have the original carb from the saw this thread was started for/on..
I was under the impression it was somehow limited, it was not, saw had an hour and a half on it when I got it..
Randy installed the coil and carb I sent with it, then sent me the originals back..
It's sitting in a box, in a cabinet, in my garage..............let me know if you're still looking....

I have the original carb from the saw this thread was started for/on..
I was under the impression it was somehow limited, it was not, saw had an hour and a half on it when I got it..
Randy installed the coil and carb I sent with it, then sent me the originals back..
It's sitting in a box, in a cabinet, in my garage..............let me know if you're still looking....
yes, I like to have your carburetor. do you have any other parts for this saw?????

Latest posts

Back