Mastermind Meets The MS880

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I know absolutely nothing about porting, but I do know that Randy(Mastermind) has two woods port buildoff competition wins (Stihl 046/460&066/660) under his belt and ports saws for a livin'. thats enough for me not to question anything he does, just to watch and admire. ;)

Agree...
Rogue60- look at my sig. I know what you were trying to say, but you said it wrong. Should have just asked the question instead of what appears to be "calling Randy out" on his work- reposting his pics. You best believe if Randy does it, it's done right. Best to read more- post less.

Last edited:
Very cool thread, I have been waiting for the details since I started seeing the videos posted to your youtube page. Thank you for sharing. I really like the before and after pictures of the porting. The final video looked and sounded great.

Last edited:
Agree...
Rogue60- look at my sig. I know what you were trying to say, but you said it wrong. Should have just asked the question instead of what appears to be "calling Randy out" on his work- reposting his pics. You best believe if Randy does it, it's done right. Best to read more- post less.

I didn't take it that way Steven. One thing that polishing does is highlight the good and the bad. It is what it is. :msp_thumbup:

hey randy,
i just checked and i have another chain (rsc) for that bar that's not a skip chain .... it's not brand new. but i could toss it on the grinder and send it out if ya think it would make a difference .. (it looks like it's been sharpened 1 or 2 times)
is the one i sent full or semiskip ??
i'm not sure if it's the chain itself or the pitch yer not likin ??
thanks, chuck
p.s.
please don't tell anyone that this is my wifes saw........the guys might tease me !!

hey randy,
i just checked and i have another chain (rsc) for that bar that's not a skip chain .... it's not brand new. but i could toss it on the grinder and send it out if ya think it would make a difference .. (it looks like it's been sharpened 1 or 2 times)
is the one i sent full or semiskip ??
i'm not sure if it's the chain itself or the pitch yer not likin ??
thanks, chuck
p.s.
please don't tell anyone that this is my wifes saw........the guys might tease me !!

Don't worry about the chain Chuck. When I'm done the saw will love that big ass chain. :rock:

The port work after some slicking up.....

Stuff042.jpg

Stuff043.jpg

Stuff045.jpg

Stuff046.jpg

Here's the saw after the port work. It's strong enough that it's pulling a 41 bar with a .404 8 pin. That's almost as big a gear as a 9 pin in 3/8. I do think a 3/8 chain and a 9 pin would be a better combo though.

[video=youtube;Odf3ZqkNx3A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Odf3ZqkNx3A&list=UUg2yelCeKwB12xIohZfmf1g&index=1&feature=plcp[/video]

hey randy,
i was thinkin..
all this talk about degrees, duration, exhaust, blowdown, and such.. got me to thinkin..
so i went and got me a degree wheel and checked out my saw..
sure enough, saw troll was right...
you did'nt do it right..
should i send it back so you can fix it ??
or do you think it'll run okay the way it is ??

hey randy,
i was thinkin..
all this talk about degrees, duration, exhaust, blowdown, and such.. got me to thinkin..
so i went and got me a degree wheel and checked out my saw..
sure enough, saw troll was right...
you did'nt do it right..
should i send it back so you can fix it ??
or do you think it'll run okay the way it is ??

Sure I'll be happy to fix any issue you have with It Chuck.

Hey Randy. Was that video one of those, "If this saw is going to smoke, I want it to do it right here and right now while it's still in my hands!" kind of deals, lol? Been there done that!

Yep.

I have an 880 that needs some love. Carb, coil, muffler, port.... Is there anyone that does this that I can maybe send it to? And does anyone know what it might cost? Thanks sean

Well I can tell you that Randy and Sling'r build one Hell of an 088. If you have the cast muffler then get an 088 coil. If you have a newer version with a steel muffler then its a bit more difficult. After porting both will pull a 50" bar running 3/8 8 pin with authority and as much torque as a big Mac. These saws really need to be ported as they are a dog when stock.

Thanks saw fun, it is a brand new saw so I'm sure it is a steel muffler. Where do you get these parts? Or will randy supply them? An if randy could email me it would be great. Need this saw going so the soon I get it running right the better!! Email is [email protected]. Thanks

Back