Mastermind Meets The Stihl MS440/460 Hybrid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
. I think it sounds awesome ! I think the throtle blipping is a combo of a guy with a nice new hot saw . And basicalling bucking a log clean off that is standing straight over his head . . Plus some guys just like ( gassin er )

That saw sounds real good .

Last edited:
Randy, you and the rest....quit calling them 440/460 hybrids....We always called them 470's......Little more appropriate.....;)

. I think it sounds awesome ! I think the throtle blipping is a combo of a guy with a nice new hot saw . And basicalling bucking a log clean off that is standing straight over his head . . Plus some guys just like ( gassin er )

That saw sounds real good .

Yes, you described it well. The 'blippy' stuff is mostly me being scared. Trying not to get my new saw pinched in an 8000 lb log. Was showing off a little... my old boss was on-site to help with the crane!

Also helps the crane operator know that things are funky up @ 90 feet. Getting that Sugihara bar stuck would have had big consequences.

Yes, you described it well. The 'blippy' stuff is mostly me being scared. Trying not to get my new saw pinched in an 8000 lb log. Was showing off a little... my old boss was on-site to help with the crane!

Also helps the crane operator know that things are funky up @ 90 feet. Getting that Sugihara bar stuck would have had big consequences.

What did you do with the logs Steven? I would imagine they went straight to the mill, but can't help but wonder.

I got a permit from the City to shut the street down.. Set the logs down on the road.
The self loader made 3 trips to the mill that day. Done at 2 pm.
My crew flush cut the big ass stumps, the split and loaded into F350.
I spent next 4 hours grinding the stumps! Threw some grass seed down and gave the man an invoice.

Should be interesting to hear how much money the timber fetched.

p.s. the 288 XP is almost in a box, headed to Tennessee. Will contact you soon.

I got a permit from the City to shut the street down.. Set the logs down on the road.
The self loader made 3 trips to the mill that day. Done at 2 pm.
My crew flush cut the big ass stumps, the split and loaded into F350.
I spent next 4 hours grinding the stumps! Threw some grass seed down and gave the man an invoice.

Should be interesting to hear how much money the timber fetched.

p.s. the 288 XP is almost in a box, headed to Tennessee. Will contact you soon.

Thanks for the rundown on the operation. :msp_thumbup:

We used clear fir for exterior siding and soffits for years.....I guess it ended up getting too expensive because everything switched to pine and/or vinyl....

I'll be heading out Saturday morning for a 10-12 day vacation. The post office will be holding my mail and my sister-in-law will be keeping an eye out for UPS.....

In other words........bring it on. :rock:

The saw pulls the 30 no problem. I thought about getting a 32 but stayed just below.

The log value - almost $2,000 dollars. Minus the $500 for the loaders fee - 2 loads. Peanuts

View attachment 241063

above pic is of the 3 trees we did this week - finished the backyard. 7 trees total - done
Now the man can see the Ocean from his porch.
p.s. - these spars were 'chunked down - too close to wires for any crane.

p.p.s - big trees (last week's job) were 45" DBH. Only 80 years old...

Last edited:
Here's your pic Steven.

241063d1339214417-2012-17th-st-firs-jpg

I appreciate you posting these pics and updates. :msp_thumbup:

Roughing in the intake.

sms440032.jpg

It's not hard to cut through on the 046/460 because of the offset of the port.

sms440033.jpg

That's plenty big enough to get the fuel in.

sms440034.jpg

All done, cleaned up and ready to go back together.

sms440036.jpg

sms440038.jpg

I really like this sealant. It's Loctite 515, it doesn't harden unless it's in an area that's less than .030. That way whatever squeezes inside the engine washes out. It's also easy to clean up on the exterior.

sms440040.jpg

Have to do a bit of clearance work.....especially if you drop the jug.

sms440041.jpg

sms440042.jpg
So after our 660 talk today I started into this 44 with 460 top I got. How did you determine how far to push the transfers without sacraficing velocity? And do you do anything with the piston windows?

So after our 660 talk today I started into this 44 with 460 top I got. How did you determine how far to push the transfers without sacraficing velocity? And do you do anything with the piston windows?

I've quit cutting on the piston in a worksaw. The gains are minimal and not worth weakening the piston IMHO.

I don't enlarge the transfer tunnels at all on the 460.....there's no need to unless you plan on a larger carb. The best thing to do is to get a degree wheel setup and check your port timing....then make a decision on what you want from the engine, that way you know where you are heading.

The 460 is one saw that runs best with less blowdown.

That's true......very true. I think he is asking about enlarging the transfer passages or "tunnels" though.

Ill worded on my part. Was talking about the transfers entering the cylinder top side of the piston. I really appreciate you two (randy and brad) sharing your knowledge

You really need to use a degree wheel to set up the port timing. Widen the uppers too much and you will hang a ring.

Yeah all the mods I want to do always seem to come back to a degree wheel. Guess tell the old lady I'm building my one tommorrow. Get the basics of no flat horizontal edges learned that one before I found this forum lucky it was in my r and d poulan. Rings are 3 bucks from sears lol

Back