Mastermind Meets The Stihl MS441CRM

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i can puta big ol chunk in the truck for ya but getting it out is all on you and john. (kuckleboom not included):hmm3grin2orange:

All I can say is WOW,,,,Their sure seems like a lota ports in that jug Randy, you might get sore fingers before ya get that one done ( LOL):bowdown:

i can puta big ol chunk in the truck for ya but getting it out is all on you and john. (kuckleboom not included):hmm3grin2orange:

You just call me when you have a big ass hunk............we can drag her out with a chain. :)

All I can say is WOW,,,,Their sure seems like a lota ports in that jug Randy, you might get sore fingers before ya get that one done ( LOL):bowdown:

The exhaust port and upper transfers get the most of the attention in this saw. The intake and strato ports just get a good smoothing out.

I used a Dremel flex shaft for a long while.....it has about a 1/2" diameter handpiece. When I got a Foredom the larger handpiece felt awkward and it took a while to get used to it. Now when I have to use the smaller handpiece it makes my hand cramp and ache....

Picks please.:biggrinbounce2:

LOL.......I'm still drinking coffee. It's 7:30 am here.

I'll have more pics after work. I've not started the port work yet....just got the machine work all complete....

Cutting the squish band seems to be the ticket on a lot of saws. I've gotten used to doing it now, and with a handheld cutter it only takes a few minutes.

I just built a 660 for one of our members with the squish cut and the jug lowered enough to drop the exhaust to 98 degrees. That made the 660 come alive. I ran four tanks thru it yesterday and was very impressed. It's a different saw now.

LOL.......I'm still drinking coffee. It's 7:30 am here.

I'll have more pics after work. I've not started the port work yet....just got the machine work all complete....

Cutting the squish band seems to be the ticket on a lot of saws. I've gotten used to doing it now, and with a handheld cutter it only takes a few minutes.

I just built a 660 for one of our members with the squish cut and the jug lowered enough to drop the exhaust to 98 degrees. That made the 660 come alive. I ran four tanks thru it yesterday and was very impressed. It's a different saw now.

Sorry mate,a bit early for ya, its 1 am here just got home from work.

pizza.gif

Sup Greg????????????

I was just hoping to find you. Call me.........lets talk about this muffler.

I need to know if a screen is a necessity for you. There's a lot of ways I can do this thing, but none of them work well with a screen.

Well the 441 is back together and it sounds freaking great!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I opened and slicked up the lowers a little bit.

stihlms441crm026.jpg

Raised the transfers and leveled them up.

stihlms441crm027.jpg

I widened the exhaust and raised it quite a bit, never did anything to the floor but slick it up. The ring end is beside the exhaust port but 68% of the bore is still possible. It doesn't look like much has been done here but a lot of material came out.

stihlms441crm028.jpg

This was a mistake. I took it apart this way but couldn't get the intake boot back through without pulling it back down and fitting the boots and carb housing to the jug then installing that all as a unit. This saw is a gold plated pain in the ass to R&R the jug on. :laugh:

stihlms441crm029.jpg

stihlms441crm030.jpg

stihlms441crm031.jpg

Interesting, I have never seen a ported strato cylinder look like that, but my experience is very limited.

Let me ask you, did you ever take the fuel tank off when you disassembled this saw? If you didn't then I can feel your frustration as re-assembly, and you must have saint like patience. While it does take a couple of minutes longer its makes certain aspects of it much easier and controlled, from my experience with others dis-assembly of the 441, I find that taking the tank off, provides a reassembly process almost completely void of curse words, LOL.

The 441 does take a little longer, but after a certain point it can be almost completely taken down with a screwdriver and your fingers. So yes there are more parts, but it takes seconds to get them all out. Again not making like it isn't more complicated, because it is, but I don't think its the wild nightmare that some have made it out to be.

Hey, what is the #2 stamped in the exhaust port for? I have most of my saws with that 2 stamped in it, I would have thought that if there was another number like a 1 or 3 or 4, I would have seen it by now, but I have only seen a 2 ........... what does it mean?

Sam

Interesting, I have never seen a ported strato cylinder look like that, but my experience is very limited.

Let me ask you, did you ever take the fuel tank off when you disassembled this saw? If you didn't then I can feel your frustration as re-assembly, and you must have saint like patience. While it does take a couple of minutes longer its makes certain aspects of it much easier and controlled, from my experience with others dis-assembly of the 441, I find that taking the tank off, provides a reassembly process almost completely void of curse words, LOL.

The 441 does take a little longer, but after a certain point it can be almost completely taken down with a screwdriver and your fingers. So yes there are more parts, but it takes seconds to get them all out. Again not making like it isn't more complicated, because it is, but I don't think its the wild nightmare that some have made it out to be.

Hey, what is the #2 stamped in the exhaust port for? I have most of my saws with that 2 stamped in it, I would have thought that if there was another number like a 1 or 3 or 4, I would have seen it by now, but I have only seen a 2 ........... what does it mean?

Sam

I did not take the tank off........and I do have the patience of Job. :laugh:

I don't see anything out of the ordinary in the porting??? What area are you referring to Sam?

I do agree that, though this is a bit more work to disassemble but I could get used to it, and no it's not a "wild nightmare" :)

The 2 is a mystery to me as well Sam.

I'll be putting it in wood tomorrow.........wish me luck. :D

Back