May be a rumor about firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwp

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I heard that the EPA is concerned about removing firewood from the forest. They are saying that disease and insects are being spread by transporting firewood.

If you have heard anything along these line please educate me.

Some areas have restrictions, this is true. There's a variety pf fedf/state/local laws. One big one is emerald ash borer or EAB, you can google that and read about it, how far you can transport it from where it is cut, etc. Some campgrounds restrict bringing in your own wood. There's a lot of different regs out there, when and where and what to cut, etc.

Around here you are already limited to not transport firewood more than 50 miles. How they will ever know where you loaded the firewood I don't know? I think it is just kind of a honor system rule. Ya Emerald Ash Borer is the concern. Killing Ash tree's up here in the droves. One good thing I heard this winter was they think this extreme cold is going to kill many of the Ash Borers, there tolerance is only to about minus -15 or something like that.

They have been asking which county you cut your firewood (in Pa state parks) for 3 years now, as long as the park is in the same county, it's OK. They don't want you to bring anything new with you while camping. Could this be what you heard?

Up here it's illegal to transport firewood from another state into Maine. No camp wood no nothing. I spoke to a Forest Ranger recently and the EAB has not been found in Maine, yet. It has been found in Concord NH. and western Mass. which is only 35 miles away. It is estimated that they will be in Maine within about 5 years. The EAB is considered on a scale with the blights that wiped out the American Chestnut and American Elm. Many state restrictions have been imposed in many states. Wouldn't be surprised if the EPA isn't involved also. Probably what you are referring to.

Here there are County wide bans and you can't haul firewood out of a quarantined County due to EAB unless it has been certified kiln dried.

I wish an entomologist would explain to me why the bugs don't heed firewood quarantines. <sarcasm> we can see how effective that was here in PA <sarcasm> But I guess bureaucrats must do something to try to justify their existence (and spend my tax dollars)

Quarantines are not a bad thing. EAB is going to happen. Moving wood just makes it happen a whole lot faster.

This Winter it has been extremely cold here in Wisconsin, that too will significantly slow the spread of EAB but not eliminate it.

What helps keep the EAB at bay over yonder in the orient where it comes from? Must be something, else it would have eaten itself into extinction by now.

I went to the Smokey Mountains 2 summers ago. Had a bed full of firewood and RV in tow. The campgrounds and National Parks had signs everywhere stating no wood was allowed to be transported in from certain states. My state, Oklahoma, was not on the list. If you had wood from a certain state you were instructed to burn it all immediately or leave. I never saw anybody enforcing it though, but that doesn't mean they weren't.

I remember when all the elm trees got dutch elm disease when I was a pup in the 70's. Now all the ash trees in Ohio are dead or gonna be soon. Only positive is all the great firewood.:chainsaw::rolleyes:

I remember when all the elm trees got dutch elm disease when I was a pup in the 70's. Now all the ash trees in Ohio are dead or gonna be soon. Only positive is all the great firewood.:chainsaw::rolleyes:

Exactly, the towns around here were decimated in tree populations by Dutch Elm disease, so they planted a monoculture of Ash. Again a single species and are going through the same thing again.

You can't always do what you want.

Of course you can... although you may not like the consequences.

But that ain't the point or question... the question is whether-or-not the EPA has the Constitutional authority to levy consequences on the act of moving firewood anywhere, at any time. Possibly, if those consequences only apply to the act on Federal land... but first there's the question of whether-or-not the EPA, in and of itself, is authorized under the Constitution. 'Cause if it ain't (and I firmly believe it ain't), any thing it does is also unauthorized.

Nixon never could have believed what it has become. ( in some limited cases they are warranted). Instead of letting a duelly elected congress do there job, the epa does the bidding of a overzealous administration. Most Americans have their heads in the sand, while our god given and constitutional rights are being sh_ _ on.:(

Back