May be a rumor about firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK all you expert entomologists and foresters. What would you do if you were in charge? Ignore the problem and just go about your business? Make it so only you could haul firewood around? What is your suggestion for a solution?

the EPA is going to be using any and every excuse they can possibly think of to make wood burning more troublesome in the future.

wood burning is fast becoming a target of the environmentalists. i'm throwing in the towel any ways (see my post "been a long time burning")

Both fly and wind carries them a long way. City/County of Milwaukee is systematically removing every ash tree, grinding them up and replacing same with something else. One of my customers has a contract with the city to that end which is how I know about it. There are huge chip piles over on the county grounds off Watertown Plank Rd. Awful lot of board feet being wasted, all that chipped stuff could also be converted to biomass compressed fuel as well. As usual knee jerk reaction with no foresight as to a bit of cost reclaiming.
My neighbors ash tree in front of my rental property in the City of Racine was tagged as inspected and treated with a pesticide. They are only removing the ones that are infested as far as I know.

OK all you expert entomologists and foresters. What would you do if you were in charge? Ignore the problem and just go about your business? Make it so only you could haul firewood around? What is your suggestion for a solution?

I think they are doing a pretty good job from what I've seen here in WI, while being realistic about what they can do within their budget. I know Racine is treating many of their city owned trees. The transportation restrictions are pretty leanyant and don't really affect very many of us currently.

In one sense it doesn't matter. Without cheap (and available) fuel gathering and transporting firewood any significant distance will not be a viable proposition, and so heating with wood will go back to what it was - which means it's only viable if you can gather it and use it in place.

The EAB and ultimately the Asian Long Horned Beetle, along with many other pests, will not be contained indefinitely. The only hope might be the introduction of some natural predator already evolved to prey on it. Otherwise they will run their course, and you can look around the woods and try to imagine what it will be like. In fact, the woods we see is a pale, distant shadow of what once was here before the loss of the chestnuts, elms and others. Still, EAB is not in my area quite yet, and I'd be mighty pissed if some yeeha brought it in any sooner than necessary.

I also haven't seen proof as to what agency is calling the shots. Cite references please.
LOL - like the proverbial ants on a log floating down a river, let's find out which ones think they're steering.

I have a problem with all of the various gov't agencies developing there "own" rules instead of trying to follow a uniform one! Example: I supply firewood to Corps of Eng. run campgrounds, They post signs that no firewood can be brought in. They have bumper stickers on all of there vehicles that read "Don't move firewood-it bug's me", yet they in turn take this firewood out of the county I process it in to other parks. The local Fish & Wildlife guy stopped me one day when I was making a delivery after hours(I have a key to the sale site gate) and he told me I couldn't be transporting the firewood like that. So after all the yacking back and forth we finally got down to the discussion about moving wood and the rules they are following and the rules the Corps are following and a phone call to my Corps buyer, I brought up the moving of saw logs for lumber across state lines. The theory they have is that these logs are going to be kiln dried and it makes it alright. I tried to explain that these piles of logs could remain unprocessed in log form for some time on site thus letting the bugs multiply and spread, but I 'm sure it didn't sink in to any substantial gray matter. I just get to frustrated with the different agencies.

There is no solution, there are varying degrees of mitigation.

Me, I'd have some of those ologists over in asia seeing how the local ecology deals with the bugs. See what eats the bugs, what trees are resistant, etc, get some dang data going beyond "bugs are eatin the trees"! zillion bucks for that observation so far.

zebra mussels, snakeheads, silver carp, dang doodz bringing piranahas in as pets, kudzu, multiflora rose, privet.....dotgov wanted open borders and free trade, well, there ya go. There is no putting the genie back in the bottle.

Oh, and press 18 for a sort of English dialect to proceed....

How a bout some dang revenge!!?// HAHAHAHAH Found out something they ain't got in asia land, that we got, and ship it over there! Why is it their jazz goes nuts here? Let's turn this around a little.....

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Latest posts

Back