may have found a used splitter, NEED INPUT FAST!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerseydevil

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
found used splitter, now an engine question.

Here is the deal. A guy tells me he has a 33 ton vert/horz Yard Machines splitter that needs an engine. He says it is about 4 years old, and one of his "employees" tried to start it with Ether, while the kill switch was in the off position. I guess he eventually turned it to on and blew a hole in the block. He did say he "thinks" it is 33 ton and "thinks" it's a yard machine so I won't hold him to either.
I am going to look at it today because the asking price seems right. $250.00
My questions are, how is the engine to pump coupler accessed? Is it outside of the tank or inside? what size engine should this thing have? Any reccemendation on where to get the engine?
I need input by 10 am eastern, saturday the 24th(even if it is from the seller)
Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
buy it

Sort out the details later. For two hundred and fifty clams you get a cylinder, valve, pump, frame with beam, and all the other stuff.

What you don't get is a running engine. Not a clue what engine it has, doesn't matter. You can replace it with a new one and be on your merry way.

Smallenginewarehouse.com is one of the lowest price places I have yet to find on NEW stuff. So far, so good with my Kohler.

I would imagine that the engine is connected to the pump in a standard fashion. Lovejoy coupling. The only thing you have to make sure of is that the shaft is the same size, and length, and the bolt circle is the same.

Nice score, good luck:clap:

-Pat

well, if you are in the market for a splitter, consider this:
you can't buy one for that money
and you can't buy the parts new to build one for that money.

so, imo, you have stumbeled upon one of those great deals, if you want a splitter that is.

If you don't want a splitter, then its just a used hunk of metal with a blown engine.
for engine size, ask the guy who has it how it did, did it run fast enough and split what he wanted it to split? if so, go back with the same brand and size engine and you will have extra parts off the old one if you ever need them.
-Ralph

forgot to mention, it is about 5 years old and has been sitting for about 4 months. no big deal, but should be mentioned.

So what happened. If you passed, please post some info. as I will buy it for a spare.

well????????????????

Did you buy it? I am using a brave 17.5 ton splitter that is 25 years old. It has split about 15 cords a year since new,and it is as strong today as the day Dad brought it home.
If you passed on the deal.. Please share the LOVE and tell someone local where to go pick up this steal of a deal.

I diid buy it. It is acually a whites 33 ton machine. It looks a little more used than I imagined, but it is ok with me. There is a large hole in the engine block and you can see the connecting rod was blown free of the crank.
It is a liitle larger than what I had hoped to park on the old wood pile slab, but what the hey, I can sell it in the future.
Thanks for the input, I will start the search for an engine asap. Feel free to add more input at any time.:bowdown:
Forgot to mention, The fela was nice enough to deliver it to my location. He just lives a few miles away, but I think that was nice of him. I didn't even have to go to his house to look at it. I kinda bought it sight unseen. I am happy.

Last edited:
good to hear,

Before you go to buying a new engine. measure the bolt spacing for the pump mount. and the shaft diameter. write these numbers down and keep em in your wallet.. watch for yardsales, with snowblowers, rototillers and such. Minibikes.. you name it.. Often can buy these cheaper than an engine alone.

good job!!!

digging up a engine with same bolt-up should not be too bad...

I diid buy it. It is acually a whites 33 ton machine. It looks a little more used than I imagined, but it is ok with me. There is a large hole in the engine block and you can see the connecting rod was blown free of the crank.
It is a liitle larger than what I had hoped to park on the old wood pile slab, but what the hey, I can sell it in the future.
Thanks for the input, I will start the search for an engine asap. Feel free to add more input at any time.:bowdown:
Forgot to mention, The fela was nice enough to deliver it to my location. He just lives a few miles away, but I think that was nice of him. I didn't even have to go to his house to look at it. I kinda bought it sight unseen. I am happy.

Before you go to buying a new engine. measure the bolt spacing for the pump mount. and the shaft diameter. write these numbers down and keep em in your wallet.. watch for yardsales, with snowblowers, rototillers and such. Minibikes.. you name it.. Often can buy these cheaper than an engine alone.

This is some great advice!!! Listen to this man!!! Also look for pressure washers that have frozen up. My dad had a splitter motor go bad, cheap Brigs on it, picked up a pressure washer for $30 with a bigger Honda on it, same shaft size. Can't beat that with a stick!!

You should have this splitter in your driveway by now!!
just like others have said look for anything with a gas engine for cheap.
I bought a sears 16 hp tractor that fell off a truck for $25 and sold the motor for $800 the next week .:rock:

Well, maybe I should start a new thread for this but...
I have the splitter. I have removed the pump and the coupler from the blown engine's shaft. I removed the engine from the frame. I found a small crack in the tank, so it leaks oil(not much but enough to warrant a repair).
I have found several possible engine replacements, but I think I will go with one a guy I work with has. I think it will work, but I have I have a question for the splitter pros. It is an 11 hp, gear reduction engine. I understand the gear reduction theory, but I am not sure of how it is set up on these engines. More importantly, can the reduction gear be removed to allow the engine to turn the pump at it's proper rpms? Thank for any input. In the mean time, I'll try to look this up on wikipedia or something like that. :monkey:

This may help...

http://manuals.mtdproducts.com/mtd/public/list.jsp?BrandCode=10301

And if the splitter is less than 12 years old (which the guy told you he thinks it is), MTD had already purchased White (1995), so that link should have your model.

Sweet find BTW, $250 is a steal! How about some pictures???
Yeh! Gotta agree with curdy and others, you can't build the basics for that, great deal (and check the welds lol), throw WHY in for a motor and get ta work m8!

:cheers:

pics

Since some of you wanted them, here are a few pics of the splitter with the used honda gx240 reduction engine, which is working out pretty well. I had to thread the pump bracket holes, make a mounting plate, modify the pump braket and assemble it several times to get it lined up pretty true. It splitts everything I threw at it. There is also a pic of a tree Peco took down for us.Enjoy. Oh by the way, Splitter was $250, engine $100total so far=350. Not bad.

Latest posts

Back