Kinetic splitter rack and pinion styles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobbyBobby

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
For any kinetic experts I have a question regarding the way the racking engages the splitting process on these splitters. Most of the machines I have seen are the style where the hand lever physically pushes down on the racking and engages the pinion which starts the forward thrust of the block/racking. I've heard lots of complaints about this style as the pinion is always spinning and grinds a little during engagement and disengagement and has a tendency to pop up before the stroke is done?? which seems like bad engineering as the rack and pinion will fail with some guys saying the machines of this style are only good for 20 or so cords?? The other style I just found was the one where the rack and pinion are always engaged and there's a style of clutch on the spinning pinion shaft that engages when you pull the handle. It seems like a much better setup but I'm fairly new to this and am looking for some input from any of you that have used or seen both styles. I just bought a cabin that uses strictly wood heating and I'll be up there a lot this winter so I'm pretty excited to get get crackin. Here's two links on the different styles that have pretty in depth videos. Let me know what you all think!

http://ytlinternational.com/index.php/9-uncategorised/136-kinetic-log-splitter

http://www.speeco.com/products.aspx?id=95&prod=406

I think you would be hard pressed to find an owner of a Super Split that has worn it out by 20 cords. Ive got that on mine and its still shiny. Ive never had the rack jump out of engagement prior to reaching the end of its stroke.

Perhaps your research is based primarily on early copies of the SS.

I just looked at the YTL unit.... Interesting... But the clutch dawgs will eventually wear out just like the rack and pinion on a typical kinetic splitter.

Thanks Casey that what I figured. I don't have any super split dealers even remotely close here so I can't see one in person. The only option I have for a store pickup is the YTL as it is available at peavey mart (on sale this week for $1299) but it is the first of this "clutch" style that I have seen so I was a little more leery than the other proven style.

Just today, my idler was squalling, and I took it apart. Time to replace and maybe re engineer this thing. This design has the rack engaging the spinning pinion. Actually when lubed up well (impact grease) it engages quite well, and with the stop adjusted correctly it will stall and scream the belts and or stall the engine.
I did manage to split over 40 cords before the idler problem today. a not well thought out design. THe idler is riding on the back side of the rack and is heavily loaded. It turns on a grade 8, half inch bolt. The only way to "lube" it is to take it apart. Cheesy design. I think I caught it before the rack stripped out tho!

Splitter is a DR. Power k34 (Done wRong)

if I could do this over.... it would have been a super split.

It is fast enough, and makes very nice bundle splits which is what I use it for

Just today, my idler was squalling, and I took it apart. Time to replace and maybe re engineer this thing. This design has the rack engaging the spinning pinion. Actually when lubed up well (impact grease) it engages quite well, and with the stop adjusted correctly it will stall and scream the belts and or stall the engine.
I did manage to split over 40 cords before the idler problem today. a not well thought out design. THe idler is riding on the back side of the rack and is heavily loaded. It turns on a grade 8, half inch bolt. The only way to "lube" it is to take it apart. Cheesy design. I think I caught it before the rack stripped out tho!

Splitter is a DR. Power k34 (Done wRong)

It is fast enough, and makes very nice bundle splits which is what I use it for

Isn't DR. Power and Super Split the same design? Rack forced down onto the pinion shaft via manual hand lever?

Another vote for the Super Split. They ironed out the kinks many, many years ago, to the point where they enjoy a well-earned solid reputation. About 400 cord so far, probably more on mine. Am still happy. If it were stolen, I'd buy another before buying anything else.
salignaFirewood.jpg

I wonder if I could find some sucker who'd give me $1000 for the DR splitter?? By the time that I have the machine shop rebuild my idler I will have most of the problems ironed outta this thing...

I want a Super Split so badd.... :rock:

For any kinetic experts I have a question regarding the way the racking engages the splitting process on these splitters. Most of the machines I have seen are the style where the hand lever physically pushes down on the racking and engages the pinion which starts the forward thrust of the block/racking. I've heard lots of complaints about this style as the pinion is always spinning and grinds a little during engagement and disengagement and has a tendency to pop up before the stroke is done?? which seems like bad engineering as the rack and pinion will fail with some guys saying the machines of this style are only good for 20 or so cords?? The other style I just found was the one where the rack and pinion are always engaged and there's a style of clutch on the spinning pinion shaft that engages when you pull the handle. It seems like a much better setup but I'm fairly new to this and am looking for some input from any of you that have used or seen both styles. I just bought a cabin that uses strictly wood heating and I'll be up there a lot this winter so I'm pretty excited to get get crackin. Here's two links on the different styles that have pretty in depth videos. Let me know what you all think!

http://ytlinternational.com/index.php/9-uncategorised/136-kinetic-log-splitter

http://www.speeco.com/products.aspx?id=95&prod=406
Rack and pinion engagement style.....Here in uk, super split is mega dear, so I started looking around. Having just broken my ankle I had plenty of time. 8 yrs ago I constructed my own hyd splitter for tractor mounting , vertical. Near faultless operation 2 or 4 way, brisk. A mate purchased a Chinese kinetic splitter, I had to go and see. Well, it worked fine, with a hell of a bang on engagement of rack, and advanced too fast for my liking (being now very familiar with pain !) Clearly, it will have a limited life.
Rather got the bug for a kinetic and ended up purchasing a Jansen FS 35 speed. Austria I believe. It is built like a tank, and has a permanently engaged rack and a sensible rate of advance, motor is low to ground, towable on the road. All round it has well exceeded my high expectations, and looked after will no doubt have several owners after me. The only bit I am not happy with is its briggs motor. I specified Kohler, but that's life.
My view is rack needs to be permanently engaged, the engage clutch on this is built for business.
Youtube or google will show it if you wish to look, how it gets from Austria to Canada, who knows.....but it's well worth a careful look.

I ended up going with the YTL unit even though I HATE the fact it's made in china but it's the only option for me up here. Unit is built a lot more solid than I thought it would be and after a few cords so far it has been absolutely awesome!! We don't have any fancy hardwood up here in the frozen north so i'm stuck with softer woods like white spruce, tamarack and birch. lots of it too. Only 20 inch green as can be spruce with a few knots has taken more than one whack to punch through so the splitting power seems to be more than good enough for me. My only gripe with the unit is that there isn't any teflon slides for the pusher assembly, it's metal on metal. After a few cords the paint isn't even worn off the I beam but I imagine a few years down the road that metal on metal contact is going to cause some issues no doubt. I'm a welder/fabricator by trade so it would only be an afternoon for me to fab up some teflon slides. Overall super happy with the unit and it always brings over a crowd of guys when I split up a years supply of wood in a few hours!!

I just tried to find the splitter on YTL's web site and said no products available... Maybe they are out of the splitter business already?

A go worker of mine just bought a wood Maxx kinetic splitter. I plan to visit him and check it out soon. Good luck with your splitter.

I just tried to find the splitter on YTL's web site and said no products available... Maybe they are out of the splitter business already?

A go worker of mine just bought a wood Maxx kinetic splitter. I plan to visit him and check it out soon. Good luck with your splitter.
Great. Please take your camera. :)

The YTL video is here:

Regarding the lack of teflon slides, i too will be keen to see how well it wears. Can the two-handed safety BS be circumvented? Would be losing the log cradles also.

Yeah YTL is just the parent company. There's lots of names that the unit goes under like Black Diamond, Super Power, Cobra etc... They're new units so there's not a lot of info on them. Peavy Mart in Canada just started selling them and they're a pretty big franchise up here

Uesh
The YTL video is here:

Regarding the lack of teflon slides, i too will be keen to see how well it wears. Can the two-handed safety BS be circumvented? Would be losing the log cradles also.

The safety handle can be deleted easy. The log cradle is awesome, some people don't like it but now that I've used it I love it. Strong too I can jump on the thing no problem

Thanks. I guess with the size of wood you see there aren't many re-splits needed.

I have the early DR and the happy wears off at times. I just bought the heavy duty linkage kit hoping that the problems get alleviated. Since I have no expectations concerning warranty issues there are a few other modification I plan on to make it more useful for ME. Personally, I would prefer replacing a clutch mechanism as compared to the pinion, which I replaced last year. I have not seen a SS, but assume that they are of similar design with the issues ironed out already.

Shea

Back