McCulloch 1-50

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
A neighbor came across a McCulloch 1-50 with a 24" bar that appears to be in good shape. Paint looks good and original; looks to be complete; seems to have good compression via the starter rope, etc. Looks like it spent more time in the basement than in wood.

Won't have the opportunity to clean it up and look deeper for a while. Might be able to post some 'dirty photos' of it if anyone is interested. Saw on Mike Acres site that these were only made for a year (May 1959 - May 1960).

I am curious how rare/common this model is, and if parts are available, or if it shares parts with other models.

Thanks.

Philbert

As common as a 1 year model run can be. TONS of parts interchange, no trouble at all getting whatever you need to make it thunder. Well worth fixing, but I have "yellow fever."

Photos

Taken in the basement - a little fuzzy.

Philbert

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I agree that you've got a great score there! It's in great shape. Full wrap handlebar looks good too. Chain looks like it has lots of life in it. Seems to have been replaced at some point. I see 'safety chain' bumper links. Looks like it has the 'snuffer choke' type Tillotson HL carb on it. You can get the RK-88HL carb kit just about anywhere, and for not much money. You should have that saw up and running in short order. Drain whatever 'gas' is left in the tank, refill 1/2 way with good mix, and let it sit for a while. Slosh and drain. Repeat a few more times.

Refill again with good mix, put some mix in a spray bottle, spritz a bit down the carb throat, choke it, and give the rope a few pulls. Should at least pop if you're lucky. Repeat that cycle a half dozen times or so and the saw may well start pulling fuel from the tank and keep running. If not, then clean and rebuild the carb (with the RK-88HL kit) and start that process again.

I'm sure this is different for the Mac veterans here, that that's the first Mac I've seen that has a screw/bolt/plug/whatever in the round boss on the bottom of the block casting. I've only seen saws where that boss was blank. Looks like he only needs a set of bumper spikes to complete the saw.

Aaron says

"I'm sure this is different for the Mac veterans here, that that's the first Mac I've seen that has a screw/bolt/plug/whatever in the round boss on the bottom of the block casting. I've only seen saws where that boss was blank. Looks like he only needs a set of bumper spikes to complete the saw."

That plug is the old crankcase scavenged oiler.

Five point spikes would be good on that.

Wow, that brings back memories....! My old man bought one of those new and it was what I learnt on, falling, bucking, swearing.... A heavy brute for sure and tempermental as h3ll when it didn't want to start, but tons of torque and power for a 24" bar. Here's a shot of me in 1974 bucking some second growth doug fir with it (got about another 10 years of use out of it, then got a Stihl!!) up the sunshine coast. We even used it to mill enough lumber to build a 3 bay shed workshop. PPE?, just a good pair of Dayton high top boots, jeans and a long sleeve shirt, hard hats for falling and rain only... those where the days... :msp_smile:
View attachment 174716

Puppies!
I'm rolling up a newspaper, gonna start smackin' noses.

Do you have a line on the dogs yet?

You did notice that the chain adjuster is on the inside. It's a big honkin' screw that catches a divot in the bar. It can be done without by using a more modern clutch cover.

Puppies!
I'm rolling up a newspaper, gonna start smackin' noses.

Do you have a line on the dogs yet?

You did notice that the chain adjuster is on the inside. It's a big honkin' screw that catches a divot in the bar. It can be done without by using a more modern clutch cover.

That same bar adjuster style was used on the Mac 33/35/39 series of "watering can" saws (for those that didn't know already). Mac application bars continued to be made with that 'divot' on them (along with the adjuster holes for the 'more modern' saws) for a long time. Every large frame Mac bar I have (McCulloch branded, Oregon, and Cannon) has that notch as well as the holes. The only one I had which didn't have said notch (if my memory is correct) is the hardnose that went with the McCulloch 77 I sent to Mark H.

Oh, and I was a whole 1 year old in July of 1974...:D

Latest posts

Back