McCulloch 5-49 original manual and handle grips?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Last weekend I aquired the first saw of my collection, a McCulloch 5-49! What a beauty! This saw runs like a champ. If anyone happens to have some old handle grips or an original manual for it please contact me. Also, I am having a difficult time determining the exact vintage. Can anyone help? It has the separate oil reservoir. The ID plate shows the model as 549, and the serial number starting with 33. Did they all start with 33 or did they make over 33,000 of these bad boys back then. Also there are raised numbers at the bottom of the plate that read 7-48. Help!

Thanks,
George

Hello George:
You have the second model of saw that McCulloch manufactured. The 5-49 ( 5 horsepower, 49 pounds) was built from March 1949 through June 1952 and literally thousands of them were built. The oiler was an accessory item that was supplied by the "Golden Rod" company. I have never seen any reference list as to how the serial number range worked but usually they started the number at a low figure and went sequentially up. The best way to get a set of handle grips is to check out a good bicycle shop as the original grips are long gone from parts supplies. I can supply you with a copy of the original manual, just email me your postal address.
Mike

there is a manual on ebay now and another 549 saw i believe.:yoyo:
George said:
Hello everyone,

Last weekend I aquired the first saw of my collection, a McCulloch 5-49! What a beauty! This saw runs like a champ. If anyone happens to have some old handle grips or an original manual for it please contact me. Also, I am having a difficult time determining the exact vintage. Can anyone help? It has the separate oil reservoir. The ID plate shows the model as 549, and the serial number starting with 33. Did they all start with 33 or did they make over 33,000 of these bad boys back then. Also there are raised numbers at the bottom of the plate that read 7-48. Help!

Thanks,
George

Back