Mcculloch 549

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you mean the 5-49 like this:

Model 5-49 Profile taken from Mike Acres excellent site:
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...3b0b49ef928ebdae88256b0000522317?OpenDocument

If so, then they are desireable for the fellers who run the big 2-man saws. There's a few guys here that would be interested. Not my can of beer...............right now at least...

You really should have posted this in the McCulloch or 2-Man Chainsaws thread. Not to be a jerk, but (since this is your first post here) it kinda looks like you're only here to try and sell a saw (or gather info so you can list it on fleabay and/or craigslist). DO NOT use the Acres site link I posted in any for sale ads, especialy on feebay. That is illegal. My appologies (and a hearty AS Welcome to you) if I have misjudged you...:cheers:

Last edited:
i originally wanted to get it in working condition, but i am not sure of its collectibility and i don't want to potentially ruin something that someone else could get a lot of joy from. i collect knives and guns, not chainsaws and i don't know a lot about these old saws. i'm not trying to sell it, i just need to know more about this model

i originally wanted to get it in working condition, but i am not sure of its collectibility and i don't want to potentially ruin something that someone else could get a lot of joy from. i collect knives and guns, not chainsaws and i don't know a lot about these old saws. i'm not trying to sell it, i just need to know more about this model

My advice is to trade the saw for a Ruger "Bearcat" and be happy as that Mac carb and rotary intake and such will make you crazy.
Igpoe:cheers:

The Mac 5-49 is one of the earliest of McCulloch chainsaws. They made about 45,000 of them and a surprising number of them are still around. Some are valued by collectors... a few are being used as lawn ornaments and perched on top of chainsaw repair shop signs.

Dollar value could be anywhere between $80 and $400, depending on internal and external condition, and what bar, chain and helper handle are on it.

Does the engine turn over when you pull the starter cord? Are any parts broken or missing?

Post 3-4 good photos of the saw and we'll tell you what we think... maybe even make some offers to buy or trade...

My advice is to trade the saw for a Ruger "Bearcat" and be happy as that Mac carb and rotary intake and such will make you crazy.
Igpoe:cheers:

Send me a Ruger Single Six and I will get a 5-49 your way.

Bill

Latest posts

Back