McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10-10 cupped filter pics

Someone please post a photo or two of the unavailable air filters, I will let you know how many I have and how much I want for them.

I don't believe that any 10 Series parts are truly unobtabium except for the original duck bill valve used in the 10 Series flat back/bullfrog carburetors...and I have 5 or 6 of those...

Mark

Filter pics:

View attachment 295650View attachment 295651View attachment 295652

The white marks on top are where the flocking was missing so I filled those holes with rubber cement. It is also a bit bent up.

Thanks, Tom

I am still wrestling with the air filter issue on my 10-10. (Calzone, good luck with yours, you will have the same issue; be gentle with your air filter if it is still intact. See my posts starting at #20266.)

Mine is currently resting in some hot water with Lysol degreaser/cleaner, but I still don't like having an unavailable consumable item. I was curious of Machinisttx suggestion #2. After looking at some IPL's I was wondering if any of the fuel tank covers that extend over the airbox would fit my handle assembly. I assume that is the design that uses the commonly available flat filters. I would go that far, to buy the new fuel tank and air box covers, but replacing the whole handle assembly is more money and time than I want to put into this right now. At that point, I might as well just spring for an epay NOS filter.

Hit your local scrapyards. I paid thirty five cents a pound for junked saws last weekend, one of which ran with fresh gas, and a second needs a recoil spring/carb kit/fuel lines to run. There were a couple of others, but the point is it doesn't necessarily have to cost a lot of money. I have a junked PM10-10A that I'm debating robbing the tank/handle and air filter cover off of to replace the old style version on my running 10-10A.

I just watch ebay and once a month or so I find the 10-10 filter for less than 25 dollars shipped. you would need to replace the whole top handle assembly to upgrade to the flat filter because the 10-10's do not have the screw bosses in the airbox to keep the larger tank top secure. you also need the different filter cover stud plate on the carb swapped out.

Hit your local scrapyards. I paid thirty five cents a pound for junked saws last weekend, one of which ran with fresh gas, and a second needs a recoil spring/carb kit/fuel lines to run. There were a couple of others, but the point is it doesn't necessarily have to cost a lot of money. I have a junked PM10-10A that I'm debating robbing the tank/handle and air filter cover off of to replace the old style version on my running 10-10A.

Looking at the model year 1972 6-10A IPL, it looks like those newer covers will just bolt to my handle assembly. My handle assembly does have the two rear screw bosses in it. Possibly because of the saws history; my friend did tell me he remembered an old broken handle hanging in the shed. That explains my missing Ser/Model number tag.

Scavenger hunts at scrapyards would be fun and eventually fruitful, but I just don't have time. Even at expensive epay prices I could get both the "extended" fuel tank cover and air box cover for less than a NOS air filter.

And even easier would be just to buy one or two of the cupped filters from Mark...:) Then I could bide my time to stumble across the newer covers for the flat filters, maybe on a dead CL saw.

Mark - Thanks for checking your inventory.

I needed a good shirt for my upcoming get together. Being too cheap to pay 17.95 plus shipping, I created my own by scanning a page in a model 47 repair manual, edited with photoshop, and used iron on ink jet transfers. Fairly happy with the result, we'll see how it holds up after repeated washings.
Jim
McCTshirt_zps04498d09.jpg

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/234023.htm

ezuje3ut.jpg

Here is what happens if you use a battery powered impact driver to tighten the nut

I wouldn't have guessed that would happen. I use a 3/8 snap on air-impact and thankfully have not seen this happen yet and you did it with an electric one no less:(

Picked up another 10-10A after work today. Stopping in at the scrapyard that's close to work to pick up something I should have gotten yesterday and the fellow says "I put one back for you". I'm kinda jazzed, wondering what it might be. He comes back with this.

View attachment 295961

I paid 'em $5 for it and stuck it in the jeep. Got it home, fiddled with it a little and got it to run, sorta. Thankfully, whoever brought it in had given up since the tank was full of straight gas(I looked at the cylinder through the plug hole and didn't see any signs of scoring, plus compression feels really good). It's got an intermittent spark issue that I'll look into more tomorrow. I think the coil gap may be too much. My micrometer eyeball said it had .030" or so gap, if not a little more. It's got a brand new oregon 72??? full chisel chain on it. Just my luck, it uses the same cupped air filter as we were discussing on the previous page, and this filter has a hole in it.

Does a standard 10-10a bar and chain work on a 250? I'm 3,000 miles away from both right now (on an island off Belize) so can't tell you what gauge/pitch either are but know both are original equipment.

Garage Sale

I went to a super garage sale this morning at the local fairgrounds.

attachment.php

This 1-43 fallowed me home for $14.00. B/C are like new, accept for age, and the saw pulls over with plenty of compression. Someone painted it with an odd light yellow color.

Should be running in a couple days.

attachment.php

Notice the odd rolernose bar.:msp_rolleyes:

View attachment 296017View attachment 296018

ODW:msp_biggrin:

ODW - I have a 1-72 with that type of roller nose bar, pretty neat stuff.

attachment.php

7oaks - the 10 Series use 5/16" studs and the large frame saws use 3/8". It is possible to modify a 10 Series bar to fit the larger saws, and there are two types of adapters to go the other way as well, one is a small spring that fits over the 5/16" stud making it 3/8" diameter in the area of the bar, the other is an "S" shaped adapter from the appropriate thickness material to take up the space.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The oiler and adjuster holes should all work without any modifications provided you have the needed adapter.

Mark

Here is another 24hr picture.

5y7uzute.jpg

3a4e9ahu.jpg

A friend wanted to buy a good running 10-10 from me so I pulled this from the pile. It was so dirty, I didn't know that it was a PM700 until I got the piston in my hand and thought it was a little big.

Latest posts

Back