McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first mac in well into the restoration. I am in need of some parts help. Does anyone have a top airbox cover that will fit a super 55a? I also need a rear handle. Judging from where the broken mag is, I think it was stored hanging by the bar, and fell one day. Landed handle first, than ended up resting upside down.
There is some scoring, and it looks like it sucked some rocks in at one point? It is very minor. It still had strong compression. Felt like over 140. A little lapping film to clean the piston, and a very light honing of the liner, and it should be good to go. Rings even seem good?
I already have my eye on what's either a 1-76 or a 1-86 for my second mac.

Not a bad first mac, eh?

I Think I have those parts, I will have to take a look in my parts pile.:)

797 saws

I been talking to a fella who has been working on saws, buying and selling saws for 30 years or so and he told me the 797 saws were not mass produced like the 125 saws. That's why you don't see as many as the 125 saws. He said it is a very hard saw to find and he lives in Oregon. Does this sound accurate for these saws? I keep an eye on eBay and do see a lot more 125 saws than 797 models. What about regular compard to Super 797... Which are there more of? I would think if a company as large as McCulloch making was making a saw it would be considered mass produced regardless so I don't get the saw not being mass produced as as he says.

And he said people like the 125 saws because of vibration mounts. I hear the 797 is high revving and just raw power and the 125 is more top end or something? I have never run either one so I don't know about the characteristics of either. I myself would take a 797 over
Over a 125 any day. I just find the saw more appealing to me. And some say a super isn't reallysuper since the only difference are thick rings. Now a 250 and a Super 250 are a night and day difference but the Super 797 isn't super?? I will be getting a 797 and am looking forward to running this saw. I just like to know the history about the saws I buy. So it sounds like the 797 is going ôto be a beast of a saw.

Nick

I been talking to a fella who has been working on saws, buying and selling saws for 30 years or so and he told me the 797 saws were not mass produced like the 125 saws. That's why you don't see as many as the 125 saws. He said it is a very hard saw to find and he lives in Oregon. Does this sound accurate for these saws? I keep an eye on eBay and do see a lot more 125 saws than 797 models. What about regular compard to Super 797... Which are there more of? I would think if a company as large as McCulloch making was making a saw it would be considered mass produced regardless so I don't get the saw not being mass produced as as he says.

And he said people like the 125 saws because of vibration mounts. I hear the 797 is high revving and just raw power and the 125 is more top end or something? I have never run either one so I don't know about the characteristics of either. I myself would take a 797 over
Over a 125 any day. I just find the saw more appealing to me. And some say a super isn't reallysuper since the only difference are thick rings. Now a 250 and a Super 250 are a night and day difference but the Super 797 isn't super?? I will be getting a 797 and am looking forward to running this saw. I just like to know the history about the saws I buy. So it sounds like the 797 is going ôto be a beast of a saw.

Nick

The 797's are great saws from yesteryear. I have quite a few of them my self.
I would say that the reason for less 797's over the 125's is the years of which
each model was manufactured. 797's started in 67 and went till late 69 when
the CP125 came out. They were both manufactured at the same time for a short
time. Then in 1971 the first SP125 came out and they were made untill 1977
as the SP125C. So you actually have 7 years of manufacture for the SP125 and
only 3 for the 797's. The 797's are definatly rarer but i believe they were still
mass produced in the time of manufacture.

Lee

Super 797s definitely aren't (still bad-ass, but not a "Super" like the 250s were). It was a stopgap model to bridge from the 797 to the CP125. It has a less finnicky carb than the 797 did, thick rings vs. thin. Early ones still had boost ports like the 797, later ones didn't like the CP. They came back (along with different porting) in the SPs. Somewhere around here I have port maps showing a 797, non-boost port Super 797, and a 101b. Somehwere out there someone made them for SP125s. I have yet to see a CP map.

I have asked a few people through pm, but I figured I will ask here. My mac is getting worse and worse for my walet. It turns out it will need a new piston. I am looking for a 10 or 20 thou over piston for a super 55a. I am goingnto get it re bored. No point doing as good a restoration I am doing, and running it scores.

Yes, I know this whole project will cost more than a nice clean one would... I just cant give up on my first mac. Plus 5 cube gear drives are my favourite saws. After pitching a scored homelite felling saw when I was younger because it was missing a few parts, that I could easily fix now, I will not give up on this saw.

I was just looking through meteor pistons website, and I noticed something. The stihl 066 piston is the same diameter as the mcculloch super 55a, and 4mm longer. Would it be possible to make one work in the mac? Maybe shave the skirt and do a popup? I don't know the distance from pin to face though. I believe center of pin to top on the mac is 22mm? Any one know on the stihl? Could be another option?

I was just looking through meteor pistons website, and I noticed something. The stihl 066 piston is the same diameter as the mcculloch super 55a, and 4mm longer. Would it be possible to make one work in the mac? Maybe shave the skirt and do a popup? I don't know the distance from pin to face though. I believe center of pin to top on the mac is 22mm? Any one know on the stihl? Could be another option?

The correct Super44A/Super55A pistons are not too terribly hard to find. Discount Marine and Bob Johnson may have 'em. Some kart places have NOS parts. They're on feebay sometimes as well.

The correct Super44A/Super55A pistons are not too terribly hard to find. Discount Marine and Bob Johnson may have 'em. Some kart places have NOS parts. They're on feebay sometimes as well.

I am sure I could find one, but with how much this saw is already costing me, and with how empty my wallet is now (just spent over$600 on welding supplies and used mechanics tools) I am really considering shaving an 066 piston. It would take me about 10 minutes on the lathe. If it is like a $30 savings, it would be worth it to me right now. Depending on how the measurements come out, I would either cut a bit off the top of the piston, or turn a bit off the top of the cylinder to set squish. 180 psi should be hard enough to start... LOL.

Well asking for something like that is like wishful thinking no one who is restoring a saw wants the work but a Hotsaw racesaw reference chart would be very helpful if it gave all the piston details

Especial pin diameter and length plus pin centre to top of crown and shirt length and width

McBob.

Well asking for something like that is like wishful thinking no one who is restoring a saw wants the work but a Hotsaw racesaw reference chart would be very helpful if it gave all the piston details

Especial pin diameter and length plus pin centre to top of crown and shirt length and width

McBob.

Someone has offered to measure a 066 piston they have lying around. If they are close enough, I will pick one up and turn it to fit. Based on the info I have, I think it will work. It might need a bushing for the pin, but that is an easy fix.

My first mac in well into the restoration. I am in need of some parts help. Does anyone have a top airbox cover that will fit a super 55a? I also need a rear handle. Judging from where the broken mag is, I think it was stored hanging by the bar, and fell one day. Landed handle first, than ended up resting upside down.
There is some scoring, and it looks like it sucked some rocks in at one point? It is very minor. It still had strong compression. Felt like over 140. A little lapping film to clean the piston, and a very light honing of the liner, and it should be good to go. Rings even seem good?
I already have my eye on what's either a 1-76 or a 1-86 for my second mac.

Not a bad first mac, eh?

Here is what I have,

attachment.php

attachment.php

The 797's are great saws from yesteryear. I have quite a few of them my self.
I would say that the reason for less 797's over the 125's is the years of which
each model was manufactured. 797's started in 67 and went till late 69 when
the CP125 came out. They were both manufactured at the same time for a short
time. Then in 1971 the first SP125 came out and they were made untill 1977
as the SP125C. So you actually have 7 years of manufacture for the SP125 and
only 3 for the 797's. The 797's are definatly rarer but i believe they were still
mass produced in the time of manufacture.

Lee

That makes sense. I never looked up the 125 for production but did see the 797 was only made three years. I would still say it was mass produced just not as long as others. I recently got a nice clean example the other day and just at idle revving it up I can tell it is a powerful saw. Haven't put it in any wood yet but I will soon. Mine appears to be a 67 model from the serial number. It sure does make a difference having the decompression valve on it. A lot easier starting it without wanting to snap your wrist. This is my first saw with a decompression valve on it and now I see why they have them.

I thought this saw was going to be heavy but its not bad at all. Just like carrying the 440 around so an easy saw to drag around the woods for a few hours. Eventually I think I will rebuild this saw and make it like new. This was the number one saw on my want list so now I need to find a nice clean example of a 73 and 77. I know these are large big saws but I have to get one of each. I'm starting to like the larger saws the power increase is addicting and they have a sweet sound to them too. Anyway it didn't take too long for me to find one of these beasts. Got a good deal on it too so that Mae it even better. I don't think I want a 125 though. Maybe later I'll change my mind. I really want the older saws. Just finding one not beat up used and abused will be the hard part.

Nick

Back