McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently, it's Belgian.

I'm not familiar with the "heat stove assembly". The muffler on it looks like a muffler I've seen before on some 10-series saw.

It's a sheet metal box contraption that covers the muffler on the right side of the cylinder. Has an adjustable 'shutter' in it. Feeds heated air to the 'overhang' on the right side of that wide AF cover. Ted and Mark have both recently posted pics of their cold weather SP-70 (and SP-80) saws recently, but I can't find any working links in a google search. The pics are either lost, or at least buried a number of pages back in this thread.

Bryan - If you don't get it, please let me know what it would take to get it shipped to 50624. I would love to have a Belgian model that the Belgian does not have.

I do have an SP60 that I've added the cold weather bit but still lags far behind the beauty that Ted has with both hand guards and nice original paint.

DSC02930.JPG

Just when you think you have a handle on all of McCulloch's twists and variations something completely different comes up, again.

Mark

Bryan - If you don't get it, please let me know what it would take to get it shipped to 50624. I would love to have a Belgian model that The Belgian does not have.

I do have an SP60 that I've added the cold weather bit but still lags far behind the beauty that Ted has with both hand guards and nice original paint.

Just when you think you have a handle on all of McCulloch's twists and variations something completely different comes up, again.

Mark

I just knew you'd be along Mark.:D

Don't forget that Ted's sweet SP-60 with the cold weather gear also has the rubber grip sleeve.

Didja see Roland's 'new' 1-63L (over on CSCC), complete with the correct cast RH side starter block-off plate? That machined plate you've got on one of your saws sure does look cool though. Somebody with some skills made that one...

Edit:

Just remembered that Jim posted a pic of Roland's 1-63L here a couple pages back....

Look what Santa Saws left on my front deck last Thursday morning - another future restoration project,barn find from Platteville,WI. McCulloch 740,6.04 cubic inch/99cc torque monster made from May 1963 to June 1964.Will pull up to a 42" bar/chain.Right-hand starter - most large saws of this vintage with RH were gear-drive,instead of direct- drive like this one.They also had the 840,with same engine as this,but gear-drive.Sold from July 1963 to June 1964.

Excellent compression (I'm barely 170lbs but had to practically kneel on the air filter cover to hold this down while pulling that rope),little to no spark,cover has a chunk missing from corner & top of fuel tank had a couple pinholes repaired sometime back with epoxy - but it don't leak & that will be eventually sanded & repainted.Just some minor fixes & should be a strong runner when finished.It was cheap enough the way it was so no complaints. ********************************/phpbb3/images/smiles/XXsunsmile.gif

Also grabbed this for $9 from different Seller - This is an original 16 page booklet with complete parts schematic & factory numbers.Not a reprint,which are usually a buck or two less when available.I'm no purist,if its complete & legible,I want it.Its easier for me to buy a cheap original or reprint manual to have next to the saw as I'm working on it.Plus it don't save anything when you buy a manual on CD,then burn up all that expensive ink printing the damn thing out IMO....I'd rather spend what little free time I have tinkering on the saws than printing paper...;)

I do have 1 question for the knowledgeable Mac gurus out there - Will a air filter cover from a 790,795,890 or 895 fit this? I know that all 4 of them were 103cc,vs 99 for the 740/840 models.

Thanks & have a Happy New Year!!

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 9
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
question , what models will the electronic ign work on a sp80/81. if any . thanks a head of time.

Those two have the coil mount for the old coil. You can use an ignition chip.

The 850 and up use the electric coil mount
thanks joey. was hoping for some kinda oe swap. he will just need to stay points or af module . no big thing ether way.

I do have 1 question for the knowledgeable Mac gurus out there - Will a air filter cover from a 790,795,890 or 895 fit this? I know that all 4 of them were 103cc,vs 99 for the 740/840 models.

Yes the AF covers will interchange between all the 7/8-series saws you've listed. The decal indentations may or may not not line up perfectly (cover and tank top) between the earlier 740/840/790/890 and later 795/797/895 saws, but the cover will swap on and function fine.

Those two have the coil mount for the old coil. You can use an ignition chip.

The 850 and up use the electric coil mount

So a PM600 series ignition cannot be used on the SP-80/81? Looks like it's points or a Nova module for my SP-81's then. No big deal.

Got this ugly hunk o' junk in the mail today. Sorry for the awful pictures, I gotta get something better than a single 4' fluorescent strip in my shop...

Anyone got a 24" bar kicking around that they'd be willing to trade for? Ideally, something real purdy to accompany this saw in style, but really anything decent will do.

BryanP1090541.JPGP1090542.JPGP1090543.JPGP1090544.JPG

Here are the two 82cc coil types....

y7aturuv.jpg

Look what Santa Saws left on my front deck last Thursday morning - another future restoration project,barn find from Platteville,WI. McCulloch 740,6.04 cubic inch/99cc torque monster made from May 1963 to June 1964.Will pull up to a 42" bar/chain.Right-hand starter - most large saws of this vintage with RH were gear-drive,instead of direct- drive like this one.They also had the 840,with same engine as this,but gear-drive.Sold from July 1963 to June 1964.

Excellent compression (I'm barely 170lbs but had to practically kneel on the air filter cover to hold this down while pulling that rope),little to no spark,cover has a chunk missing from corner & top of fuel tank had a couple pinholes repaired sometime back with epoxy - but it don't leak & that will be eventually sanded & repainted.Just some minor fixes & should be a strong runner when finished.It was cheap enough the way it was so no complaints. ********************************/phpbb3/images/smiles/XXsunsmile.gif

Also grabbed this for $9 from different Seller - This is an original 16 page booklet with complete parts schematic & factory numbers.Not a reprint,which are usually a buck or two less when available.I'm no purist,if its complete & legible,I want it.Its easier for me to buy a cheap original or reprint manual to have next to the saw as I'm working on it.Plus it don't save anything when you buy a manual on CD,then burn up all that expensive ink printing the damn thing out IMO....I'd rather spend what little free time I have tinkering on the saws than printing paper...;)

Is the 840 for sale? I been hunting for one of those with no luck yet.

Nick

Back