McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have a line on some dogs for a 10-10 could really use them getting into some really hard stuff in the bottom of my wood pile.

Anyone have a line on some dogs for a 10-10 could really use them getting into some really hard stuff in the bottom of my wood pile.

Wow Mark, that is some NICE hardwood you bucked up to firewood chunks. Sure would love to have the butt log off n that tree so's I could make some purty boards out of it! Not so much hardwood out this way. Every now and again is all.

mad - That was a nice sycamore log and if I knew then a little of what I know now I might have tried to save a bit of it for some lumber. Quarter sawn sycamore has a very pretty grain, but the wood is not particularly hard or stable. It could have made some nice jewelry boxes or something along those lines. It would have been impossible to save anything over about 24" long that day due to the ground conditions as it was getting pretty soft underfoot by the time we finished.

Virgil - is your address still 1225? I can put a spike in with the power head but need to know long or short clutch cover. The spike from any 600 Series saw will fit the long clutch covers, the short covers require a different style. customchainsawparts on e-bay has some 4 bolt spike that work on the short clutch cover for $12.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MCCULLOCH-C...444?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519a8336a4

DSC02966.JPG

To make the "long cover" style spike fit on the short cover, you would need to add a little ear to the spike

DSC02967.JPG

Mark

As you can see by the pics this is what I'm up against. I did cut these with my 10-10 but it was letting me know it didn't like it. Figure since it's all I got cut them in quaters and go from there. I did outfit the 10-10 with a skip chain and it is helping. And I have 2 more full trees altest 100ft alil bigger than this to cut yet and don't want to stress the 10-10 that much. Yes it is Mark.

IMG_20140103_152440.jpg IMG_20140103_152453.jpg IMG_20140103_152501.jpg

Looks like you need a lot more saw for that job. How much bar are you running?

I would have thought it would run fine with full comp on a 20" as long as you weren't trying to force it through. What's the compression on that saw?

last i checked about 150 it's strong. i've already cut several big pines with it as well as alot of other trees. it seems to like the skip chain better.

Not as nice a clutch cover as Mark showed with spikes, but here is one that I use with a Stihl spike on it. Maybe another option.
DSC01565.JPG

Unless I want to do the sledge and wedge thing I'm gonna need a bigger saw and then I can just buck with the 10-10. Spikes will come in handy.

I've got a 610 but for tredging in the woods I prefer the 10-10 and usually when nothing else is running the 10-10 is still going. The 610 is waiting for a chain as it broke its last chain. Been having issues with it throwing chains need a new rim as the one on it is wore pretty good. I have one but havn't gotten around to putting it on. I have those 2 and a 160 plus atleast enough parts to put together another 610 minus rings and 2 more 10-10s minus a piston rod bearing and a few pieces of hardware.

I've got a 610 but for tredging in the woods I prefer the 10-10 and usually when nothing else is running the 10-10 is still going. The 610 is waiting for a chain as it broke its last chain. Been having issues with it throwing chains need a new rim as the one on it is wore pretty good. I have one but havn't gotten around to putting it on. I have those 2 and a 160 plus atleast enough parts to put together another 610 minus rings and 2 more 10-10s minus a piston rod bearing and a few pieces of hardware.

Latest posts

Back