McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was the first one I believe,summer 1968 thereabouts.I have a couple of those as parts donors,dont recall ever seeing one where that ''master grip'' handle stayed tight with age & use.More prone to breakage from being dropped,didnt take the abuse that these little saws were often getting.Soon after they switched to the more reliable & rigid tubular handle you see more often.Everything else about the engine etc was the same though.

I like that handle better than the later versions. Just the early version without the chain brake. Plenty sturdy. Adds a little weight but that's a wash by the lack of a chain brake. Hafta remove the newer style handles to pull the recoil/tank which can become a pain if you're in and out of the carb (or anything else underneath the recoil assembly for that matter) doing any repetitive trouble shooting where you need to pull it over to test the results of your efforts.

anyone have direct contact info for scs?

[email protected] (attn: Joe Salva)

Bryce has diaphragm kits, but pricey. Sort of a toss up between paying a little more from him (not much) or waiting a lot longer for Joe. Chainsawr says 10~12 days for processing if you go thru them for SC stuff. More like 10~12 weeks from my last experience with them. Bryce's are repops too, but he says delivery in 4 days. I'd check with him before ordering. May be getting his from Joe also..., and/or with any luck has a stash of em from him or maybe somewhere else.

Getting ready to get started on my 125/101 project. Does anybody have a line hone I could borrow to hone over my 101 block? Something like an Ammco hone to true up the bore . . . I have been looking on Ebay and just cant justify spending the money on one when I know it will rarely get used.

may need flatback diaphragms.
anyone have direct contact info for scs? all I'm getting in searches is amazon & fb links.
got cc scammed on amazon, so lil leery...
tia

I just replaced the flatback in mine with a Tilly HL out of a 250. Made some new linkage with SS tig rod.
was the 790 you got on craigslist with no picture in Deep Cove?

There were issues with the longevity of the banana handle on the PM6 saws, McCulloch later offered a kit to secure the end of that handle to the bottom of the saw. Later models had a more conventional 1/2 wrap handle. There are plenty of parts saws out there so if you happen to damage your banana handle it would be a simple matter to replace it with the later style. I personally like to look of that style saw, and as long as you are a bit careful and not dropping it from a bucket 30' up you should be just fine. Since it is an earlier saw, it probably does not have an automatic oiler so you will be using your thumb quite a bit.

IMG_1178 (640x480).jpg

DSC00608.JPG

Mark

Well i got a bar coming from a guy on Facebook. He says its a 32 but based on the numbers I think its gonna be the same 34 that I have on my 380 which is fine with me.
The bar showed up yesterday and low and behold it is actually a 32". The guy told me 105DL of 3/8" can anyone verify that for me before I order a chain that I cant use? Here are some pics with the bar numbers.
247c4325b3927da2a3adeb268950455d.jpg
cfa812e17466980817b88eed0938c423.jpg

I have three recent acquisitions that won't thrill everyone but I am happy to add them to my collection. I don't have any photos of the EM16 (ElectraMac, 16" bar) but it was cheap and came with a yellow bar cover. This one has a broken brake handle (233522) but I don't really plan on using it much so I can live with it that way if needs be. This saw was really used a lot so I took it all apart to give it a good cleaning and found the safety/release for the trigger was broken. Since I have a small lathe I thought why not make a replacement? This is a long way from any wires so I used steel since I had material on hand.

20180731_200359.jpg

Next up is a Pro Mac 165, which is an iteration of the Mini Mac but with a real rear handle. You may have seen this one listed on e-Bay, I did a little negotiating to get it more reasonably priced. I knew it was missing a few parts from the e-Bay photos but I had the needed bits on hand.

20180802_130115.jpg

20180802_130123.jpg

20180802_140220.jpg

I saw this clutch cover on e-Bay several years ago and knew that that one day it would come in handy, price was reasonable as well. As you can see from the muffler above, this model requires a very special clutch cover. I also like the more conventional brake flag on this one compared to the usual wrap around brake handle found on most Mini Mac saws.

20180802_140159.jpg

This one will likely never be fueled since I have many other options if I need to run a MM.

The other recent one is one of the later McCulloch models, I think it may have been a product of Husqvarna but I'm not sure about that. Best I can determine is the saw was a 2007 model. You get the impression this was a "McCulloch" response to green and purple Wild Things.

The McCulloch XM40

20180802_181711.jpg

Does anyone have, or know where I might find the decal for the clutch cover? This one came all shriveled up from the clutch/cover being overheated. Note the tool less chain tension system.

20180802_181724.jpg

I am quite certain the bar adjusting screw is not supposed to poke through the brake band.

20180802_170414.jpg

So, I found a piece of key stock that fit the cover nicely and drilled a blind hole to stop the screw. Works nicely now.

20180802_172032.jpg

Mark

Attachments

• 20180802_181724.jpg
    20180802_181724.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 12
I have that same 323960 PN bar with 110 DL of 3/8" pitch chain. I haven't put it on a saw, but it looks to be correct with 7 DL beyond the bar.

Mark
Yes Mark, I was thinking that too, I think it is the same bar I have on my 380 which is 110 links. I need to compare. I have been laid up ill all week and havent been out of bed much less gotten to the garage. It just confused me a bit when I measured it. I was quite certain the var on my 380 measured at 34" but maybe I'm wrong.

That clutch cover does look like a Husky design. I used to have a Husky 235 I think. A small saw but it had the quick adjust that resembled this one. Many people cussed this setup But I put a lot of hours on that saw and never had a problem out of it. Actually liked the ease of chain adjust.

Brian

Back