McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jethro - I have seen several with the phenolic disc (ring-piston; 60263/86182) broken but never seen enough wear that they would not work. Seems reasonable that the disc would wear more than the pump body given the amount of material/surface area in contact. The same disc was used on the large frame saws as well if that helps in your search.

It is odd that the pump works manually but not on the saw, that could be a wear issue but I have never run into the same situation that I recall.

If you can't find a replacement disc at a reasonable cost I will send you a disc if you'd like, it might take a few days in the mail. I figure I can send the disc in a regular mail envelope, sending a pump takes more paperwork... Send a PM if you are interested.

Mark

got 790 today. $25. "ran when the rope broke". we'll see...
900b023891d47df5ea84d8195a13172e.jpg

Jethro - I have seen several with the phenolic disc (ring-piston; 60263/86182) broken but never seen enough wear that they would not work. Seems reasonable that the disc would wear more than the pump body given the amount of material/surface area in contact. The same disc was used on the large frame saws as well if that helps in your search.

It is odd that the pump works manually but not on the saw, that could be a wear issue but I have never run into the same situation that I recall.

If you can't find a replacement disc at a reasonable cost I will send you a disc if you'd like, it might take a few days in the mail. I figure I can send the disc in a regular mail envelope, sending a pump takes more paperwork... Send a PM if you are interested.

Mark

Hi Mark yea there is a gap maybe a millimetre or so on 1 side is that normal? It seems like its suffering a "blowby" of sorts and I have two pumps with the same gap. The sellers on ebay are scared of using cheap postage I guess they have been stung before but 20bux is rather steep for the size and weight. Same cost for a hole pump

Hi Guys,I bought a 610 back a few weeks ago off Feebay.When I got the saw I put some fuel in the carb to see if it'd fire,& it did.I had a lot of little stuff to do to it - helcoils for the recoil,rebuild the carb,etc.I was getting ready to do the helicoils when I found that the saw wouldn't turn over completely anymore.It'd get to about TDC & then lock up.I tore the saw down to almost bare bones,I didn't pull the engine down - it started getting late.Any ideas as to why the engine suddenly won't turn over completely anymore?
Ed

Hi Guys,I bought a 610 back a few weeks ago off Feebay.When I got the saw I put some fuel in the carb to see if it'd fire,& it did.I had a lot of little stuff to do to it - helcoils for the recoil,rebuild the carb,etc.I was getting ready to do the helicoils when I found that the saw wouldn't turn over completely anymore.It'd get to about TDC & then lock up.I tore the saw down to almost bare bones,I didn't pull the engine down - it started getting late.Any ideas as to why the engine suddenly won't turn over completely anymore?
Ed

Im a newb but you gota get it apart to find what is stopping it. It could be a broken ring stuck in a port it could be a lump of carbon or spat a bearing even. Its only a 610 there comman as a rat in a cowshed so buy anouther couple and use the bits n make a runner. It could even be a washer stuck on the flywheel magnet. A few spares is handy if your going to run a 610. very reliable saw but the ignitions can fail with heat and the oilers can give trubble from what I've learnt. I dont own 1 yet just waiting for a nicer one to show up. There not really worth spending much on so if the p/c is munted put it in the corner and find anouther one and call it parts.

Ed

Hi Ed,

Pull the starter cover and turn the crank over until it stops and see where the piston is in the stroke. That might help point to one of the defects that Jethro 21 pointed out.

Pulling the muffler to see if a broken piston ring is the culprit or maybe the module lamination is rubbing on the flywheel etc. Try with the spark plug out as well.

Nice one there.If I remember correctly the 790/890's didn't have compression release lever,the 795 & 895 did.Otherwise same 6.3 cube/103cc engine though,just a few years difference between them.

yep. no decomp. fixed rope & spring to find no fire. guess I be filin points tomorrow...
in pretty nice shape, lotta comp. mc carb.

Latest posts

Back