McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying to kill a bunch of replies in one post here.
Jethro,there's nothing that makes a saw more bad-ass looking than a felling spike! Nice job!!
Mark,thanks for letting me know about the .354 chain.
2broke,it might help to use some graphite spray for lube on your recoil.I've been told not to use anything like WD40,PB Blaster,or any other petroleum based product because over time it'll dry out & become sticky creating even more problems.Ebay has the spray cans of graphite for around $7.
Does anyone know what rattle can of paint (Mac yellow of course) to use for "touching up" Macs that are somewhat missing their paint?
Ed

On the subject of spikes, here's the one on my SP81. Pretty sure it's adapted from an 045, 056, 051, 075, 076 since it has part of a Stihl part number left at the bottom where I'm pretty sure another spike (or the bottom of the one that's there) was cut/ground off so it would fit. I like it. I have a template of it somewhere if anyone wants it.

Oh my what mighty teeth you have there. Looks good.

Ed I've seen a lot of people recommend rustoleum sunburst yellow I haven't tried it myself as it's hard to get in town here

Good deal. My version of that manual is comprised of several PDF's to make one complete manual for the 1-40, 1-50, and 1-60 series, hence the reason what I attached was limited in what it covered. I may have a consolidated version of it somewhere. I'll post a link if I find it.

Here's complete one for a bunch of 1 series but it's not quite as clear as yours.

https://app.box.com/s/8ciqvph5if5vt2ql543etl9z4r0e15sj

Since we where on the topic of falling dogs, I made this one yesterday for the 1-52. Traced it from a pattern a member on one of the facebook groups sent me. I have a couple of the original dogs on a couple of other saws but I felt they where a little too big for this saw with this size bar.
9e526b9464b1ba5fdf6b51562f0dd22e.jpg
46579ed2269a5bbbb1d581ba6a3c3b09.jpg

Never understood the almost straight Stihl spikes, but I haven’t run one with them either. All of the MAC spikes with their arches pivot the saw nicely in my experience.

Ron

I did wonder about that when looking at poge's saw.

2 broke's has an angle upward.

Poge was that the saw with the ignition trouble?

Since we where on the topic of falling dogs, I made this one yesterday for the 1-52. Traced it from a pattern a member on one of the facebook groups sent me. I have a couple of the original dogs on a couple of other saws but I felt they where a little too big for this saw with this size bar.
9e526b9464b1ba5fdf6b51562f0dd22e.jpg
46579ed2269a5bbbb1d581ba6a3c3b09.jpg

Looks good Kevin! The big spikes were pretty much made for the thick bark trees on the west coast. Not sure about your area but around me the only thing with thick bark would be big willow trees.

Poge was that the saw with the ignition trouble?

Yes. I reset the points and it seemed to help a lot. Still doesn't seem quite right, though. Needs some wood to see if I can dial it in to where I think an SP81 should really be. Seems like 12,000 to 12,500 is realistic. Maybe a little more?

I talked with Bob today about my 380 coil that I'd sent to him to test.In his words NDG - no damn good.Since those coils rarely go bad I'm wondering if when the condenser shorted out due to a bad wire from vibration,if that had somehow sent current back to the coil's secondary & fried it.A new coil is $50,but he has a used one he'll sell me for $30.Bob's a heck of a good guy.
Ed

Yes. I reset the points and it seemed to help a lot. Still doesn't seem quite right, though. Needs some wood to see if I can dial it in to where I think an SP81 should really be. Seems like 12,000 to 12,500 is realistic. Maybe a little more?

When Brian and I had our little 82cc shootout, his 800 was turning 12,900, RandyMac’s bench fresh 850 was 12,500 and my 800 was 12,300. I believe Brian’s was a bit too lean and suffered a meltdown some days later, he can correct me if I recalled that incorrectly. The setup guide posted some pages back said the max no load speed for an 8200 is 12,000 with a max load speed of 9,000.

Ron

So some of you may remember the 7-10 I rebuilt over last winter. Well, I never could get it to run right and after a lot of cussing and double checking the carb and finally swapping a known good carb from a running 10-10 with the same results I shelved it.
Well I got it back out today and decided to pressure test it.
Found lots of leaks [emoji35] the fuel tank to cylinder gaskets are leaking, base is leaking in a couple of spots where I sealed it (or apparently didn't seal it) with motoseal, and the decomp is leaking.
I was told by Mark, I believe, not to worry too much about the decomp but it looks like I will have to tear it all the way back down to reseal the base. I hope I can save out the crank seals. I'm just glad I didnt run it too much and toast that NOS piston.

In other news, I am pretty sure I have the recoil sorted on the 1-52. It looks like I just had the spring wound too tight so when it would pull all the way out it would get in a bind. I unwound it one turn and all seems well. Will know more when I go to run it again.

So some of you may remember the 7-10 I rebuilt over last winter. Well, I never could get it to run right and after a lot of cussing and double checking the carb and finally swapping a known good carb from a running 10-10 with the same results I shelved it.
Well I got it back out today and decided to pressure test it.
Found lots of leaks [emoji35] the fuel tank to cylinder gaskets are leaking, base is leaking in a couple of spots where I sealed it (or apparently didn't seal it) with motoseal, and the decomp is leaking.
I was told by Mark, I believe, not to worry too much about the decomp but it looks like I will have to tear it all the way back down to reseal the base. I hope I can save out the crank seals. I'm just glad I didnt run it too much and toast that NOS piston.

No reason you can't save the seals as they shouldn't suffer any damage when you pull the oil tank off.

If they do get damaged you can buy direct replacements for them pretty cheap. SKF 6119 or National Timken 253747 for the clutch side and National Timken 471551 fr the FW side. Put a little sealer on the outside of the seal case when you install them.

A 7-10 is well worth the effort.

The only issue I've had with Motoseal is if the saw is cranked over too soon after you seal it up. I go the extra cautious route and give it a couple of days.

Well it will be dry and a bit warmer soon enough to get it in a log and see.

I hope you get that 7-10 running Kevin it definitely is worth it I just went and put half a tank on my new 1 and wow it goes hard even with a few low rakers on the chain it came with. What a cool saw just a real ripper. That tilly fixed jet is absolutely spot on its staying

I do remember that 7-10 and its quite a pretty 1 if I remember rightly

Well it will be dry and a bit warmer soon enough to get it in a log and see.

I hope you get that 7-10 running Kevin it definitely is worth it I just went and put half a tank on my new 1 and wow it goes hard even with a few low rakers on the chain it came with. What a cool saw just a real ripper. That tilly fixed jet is absolutely spot on its staying

I do remember that 7-10 and its quite a pretty 1 if I remember rightly
You may have mine confused with someone elses..... it's not so pretty, but that's ok, it has character lol.

I've got a 10-10 that I've been piecing together.It has a slightly scored piston & I was going to get a new short block for it.Today I put a carry handle on it & a recoil & gave it a compression test.On 4 pulls it had 135 psi & on 6 pulls it had 150 psi.That's on a relatively dry cylinder.I'm thinking of just running it the way it is & see what happens.
Ed

I think those numbers are great. Run it the way it is. If it wouldnt run right or have some issue due to low compression id say fix it. Those are good numbers to me. You do what you like though. Fixing them is half the fun

I think those numbers are great. Run it the way it is. If it wouldnt run right or have some issue due to low compression id say fix it. Those are good numbers to me. You do what you like though. Fixing them is half the fun
That's what I thought Vinny.I've got to put a set of points in it,a condenser,& set the coil air gap.Then I'll give it a shot of fuel & see if it fires up.
You're right,fixing them up is half the fun.The best part is hearing them run again.I think the reason this one was "trashed" was because one of the screw holes for the recoil is stripped out,nothing that a helicoil can't fix.When they decided to scrap the saw they took the muffler off (amongst many other parts) & in doing so they bent the hell out of the shroud on the underside.I found a used one for $5,but who knows if that shroud suffered the same fate.
Ed

Back