McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has Brian been up to no good?

Made a spike for my 7-10 kinda eye balled Tim's sp81 spike so thanks Tim and yes poge I had that bookmarked lol. Any way it turned out real nice.
20190307_151254.jpg 20190307_151302.jpg 20190307_151311.jpg 20190307_151503.jpg
4mm plate so kinda heavy but we don't run these cos there light lol and welded with an arc welder.

I got a nice 2-10 delivered today that I bought from a guy on FB.Of course it didn't have any spark,so I had to check the whole ignition system out.I filed the points & still couldn't get any spark.I'd checked the condenser,the switch,the coil,& they all checked out good.I finally decided to take the points out of the saw so I could have a closer look.Now I've seen dirty points before,but this set was beyond dirty,they were filthy! They took first place in the filthy points contest.I had to use a piece of emery cloth & work on them for at least 10-15 min.I put them back in the saw & had beautiful spark.I gave the carb a shot of fuel & she fired up,probably the first time in decades.I'll rebuild the carb tomorrow & see if I can get a bar & chain hunted up for it,but I'll bet it has a .354 drum on it.
Ed

Turned out really good jethro. Looks tough! Decomp valve is on its way.

Thanks Vinny really nice of you name your price and I'll sort ya:)

Has a similar appearance to the H&S spike.

View attachment 720801
Mark

That was the look I was going for not quite right but close enough for me. I had to lift the bottom 1 up a bit for the rigid saw to sit nice on the ground

Just poking him for jumping out of airplanes. No doubt he has done crazier things. Ron

Fair enough. Really need to have a go 1 day.

Hey guys, having a minor problem with my 1-52 and looking for some input. Almost every time I start it, the pull cord gets stuck all the way out. If it actually starts and runs, when I shut it down, the kickback will suck the rope back in. If it doesnt start I have to take the cover off and unstick it.
I dont have this with any of my other Macs, I'm thinking the recoil spring is wound too tight and its binding. Is there a spec for how much to wind the spring? What do you guys think?

Is there a spec for how much to wind the spring? What do you guys think?

I just wind mine enough to re-wrap the rope without any sag at the handle. Something binding with the shaft or missing a thrust washer maybe? Seems like you'd be able to see wear marks if there major rubbing somewhere. Rope too thick or the knot binding with the pulley somehow? Bushings worn or not installed correctly?

Here's a section of shop manual that goes into detail about the starter assembly(ies) that may help if you don't already have it. The trouble shooting chart simply states a broken spring of incorrect spring tension as the reasons a rope won't rewind. There are obviously quite a few other variables involved as well.

Out of curiosity, what 'unsticks it' when you take the cover off?

Attachments

• 1-40 1-50 1-60 Workshop Manual 5-7.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 2
To get it unstuck I can just turn the pulley back ever so slightly and it kind of feels like it "unlocks" and winds in beautifully and smooth. I will review the info provided and report back. Thank you.

I just wind mine enough to re-wrap the rope without any sag at the handle. Something binding with the shaft or missing a thrust washer maybe? Seems like you'd be able to see wear marks if there major rubbing somewhere. Rope too thick or the knot binding with the pulley somehow? Bushings worn or not installed correctly?

Here's a section of shop manual that goes into detail about the starter assembly(ies) that may help if you don't already have it. The trouble shooting chart simply states a broken spring of incorrect spring tension as the reasons a rope won't rewind. There are obviously quite a few other variables involved as well.

Out of curiosity, what 'unsticks it' when you take the cover off?
I found the info I was looking for in that shop manual. I will check it tonight and report back. You pull the rope all the way and then grab the end of the spring with pliers and pull it out of the housing. You should be able to pull 8-14 inches if it is tensioned properly.

I found the info I was looking for in that shop manual. I will check it tonight and report back. You pull the rope all the way and then grab the end of the spring with pliers and pull it out of the housing. You should be able to pull 8-14 inches if it is tensioned properly.

Good deal. My version of that manual is comprised of several PDF's to make one complete manual for the 1-40, 1-50, and 1-60 series, hence the reason what I attached was limited in what it covered. I may have a consolidated version of it somewhere. I'll post a link if I find it.

On the subject of spikes, here's the one on my SP81. Pretty sure it's adapted from an 045, 056, 051, 075, 076 since it has part of a Stihl part number left at the bottom where I'm also pretty sure another spike (or the bottom of the one that's there) was cut/ground off so it would fit. I like it. I have a template of it somewhere if anyone wants it.

0307191412_resized.jpg

Back