McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No reason you can't save the seals as they shouldn't suffer any damage when you pull the oil tank off.

If they do get damaged you can buy direct replacements for them pretty cheap. SKF 6119 or National Timken 253747 for the clutch side and National Timken 471551 fr the FW side. Put a little sealer on the outside of the seal case when you install them.

A 7-10 is well worth the effort.

The only issue I've had with Motoseal is if the saw is cranked over too soon after you seal it up. I go the extra cautious route and give it a couple of days.
I was a little surprised to not find worse leaks but maybe the sum of these little leaks is enough to create my problems. All I know is, air leaks are bad in a 2 stroke.

I was a little surprised to not find worse leaks but maybe the sum of these little leaks is enough to create my problems. All I know is, air leaks are bad in a 2 stroke.

It doesn't take much to hurt fuel delivery.

When you get it running well I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed. They will handle a 24" bar with authority.

What is everyone doing for Rod bolts?

Needing a solution for the 125. Purchased some from the local hardware store and it snapped around 30 ft pounds of torque. I was trying to get to 85-90. Size is 10-32

ThanksIMG_20190308_115016.jpg

What is everyone doing for Rod bolts?

Needing a solution for the 125. Purchased some from the local hardware store and it snapped around 30 ft pounds of torque. I was trying to get to 85-90. Size is 10-32

ThanksView attachment 721273

The spec is inch pounds not foot pounds Spec for a cp is 90 - 95 inch pounds, an sp 1s 105 - 110 inch pounds. That would be about about 9 foot pounds.

The spec calls for the threads to be oiled when torquing.

Tore the 7-10 all the way down tonight. I found the main source of my air leak. I am an idiot and I installed the gasket between the spacer and the fuel tank upside down so it left a portion of the impulse port wide open. So not only did I have an air leak, I was also getting a weak pulse to the carb.
I feel pretty stupid especially since I had the tank back off twice sorting out the compression release and I never noticed.
Photos show how I had it installed, second one shows how it should be installed. Notice the gap at the corner of the impulse port in the photo circles in red.
29c99163a2977ba8fd170b12f67a7ebd.jpg
0716e42de4045cf91de168caf53f7bf3.jpg

Tore the 7-10 all the way down tonight. I found the main source of my air leak. I am an idiot and I installed the gasket between the spacer and the fuel tank upside down so it left a portion of the impulse port wide open. So not only did I have an air leak, I was also getting a weak pulse to the carb.
I feel pretty stupid especially since I had the tank back off twice sorting out the compression release and I never noticed.
Photos show how I had it installed, second one shows how it should be installed. Notice the gap at the corner of the impulse port in the photo circles in red.
29c99163a2977ba8fd170b12f67a7ebd.jpg
0716e42de4045cf91de168caf53f7bf3.jpg

Good catch Kevin.

Don't feel too bad Kevin,this is how we all learn - from our mistakes.Now putting it back together the 2nd time you won't make the same mistake.
I had to pull a 10-10 apart 4 times last week to get it right.So I guess that makes me twice the idiot you think you are.Lol (no offense intended)
Ed

Don't feel too bad Kevin,this is how we all learn - from our mistakes.Now putting it back together the 2nd time you won't make the same mistake.
I had to pull a 10-10 apart 4 times last week to get it right.So I guess that makes me twice the idiot you think you are.Lol (no offense intended)
Ed
No offense taken. It's funny, I'm an auto mechanic and I'm pretty good at it lol. I've definitely installed plenty of gaskets in the last 20 years fixing cars, but it seems there is always a hiccup with these old saws.

NorthEast Tennessee Saturday MAC Report

NE Tennessee menu for the day was soup with a side of pudding. Sprinkled rain on Brian, Lee and me three times. We cut up a decent size Sycamore. Three or four tanks through the 800 for me. I don't know what Brian burned. He had 4 MACs going. He used the PM6A, 1010S and PM800 on this job and his SP125C on our afternoon job. Some issue developed with the PM6A so Lee didn't get to cut any of the Sycamore. We finished it in time to be at the front of the chow line today. We are usually late. After more food than we should have ate, we checked out a new cutting site but the ground was too wet to get to the wood so we made a few cuts to limb and remove the root balls from the only wood at hand - two down Poplars. It seemed over before we started. Took Brian longer to load and unload his 125 than it did for him to sever the two root balls.

Only picture I got: Brian hard at work with his 800.
IMG_4192.JPG

Only excitement of the day was Brian's F150 jumping after I hit the running board at full throttle with the .404.

After a morning of wood being thrown everywhere and heavy pieces coming towards me, I compared notes with Brian on our experiences with .404 semi-chisel. Wasn't too surprised to find our experiences to be the same - though it stays sharp, it tends to grab the wood and throw or draw it towards you. Also skitters across the wood until you put some downward force on it. This Sycamore was particularly bad for these traits to show. Brian said he had already order three full chisel (round file) chains for his saw. Since I have most of a roll of semi-chisel, I will stick with it on the 125s but likely will not make any more chains from it for the 800. Few years back, a chain driven 12" piece of wood to the knee sent me to the ER. I can buy a lot of full chisel chain for the cost of the deductible on an ER visit. However, I am interested to know your experience with semi-chisel.

Ron
This valuable report is provided through the the generous support of MacNuts like you and Blind Squirrel Falling, one of America's greatest imaginary businesses.

My experience with semi-chisel compared to full chisel is exactly as advertised by the chain manufacturers..., semi-chisel is more forgiving in dirtier conditions than full chisel when it comes to holding its edge -- relatively speaking, of course. More meat underneath the semi-chisel working corner to support the edge a little longer than the abrupt angle of full chisel with not nearly as much support of the working corner. Many will debate this and maybe with good reason according to their own experiences with whatever brand of chain, sharpening technique/method, type of wood, etc. Not here to argue with them. Just conveying my own experience with both types of chain.

There's a reason chain manufactures recommend semi-chisel for less than desirable cutting conditions and full chisel for cleaner conditions.

I find that for whatever reason, I cannot get a semi chisel chain to self feed like full chisel.
I do not like it, I stick to full chisel and sharpen as necessary.

When I started using saws in 1981 all they had around here was full chisel,no safety chain to be found,even at farm supply stores.I believe safety chain is best for a casual user/homeowner or the weekend guy for obvious reasons.But its pretty much worthless to those more experienced when you're trying to get something done instead of fighting it. Most of what I'm cutting is old dead snags,on rare occasions live stuff from storm damage or when someone I know needs some emergency stuff done very soon.

The old dead stuff can dull full chisel quicker but that never bothered me,always have 2-3 sharp ones ready to swap out if needed.I'm touching up the teeth 2-3 strokes every couple tanks of mix anyway.

I was intending to go out back and drop a couple of red oaks with the 1-52 and one of my 10-10s but I decided to smash my head into my cellar door jamb instead and split it open. So I'm sitting here with an ice pack instead.

:surprised3: Are you OK? Better make sure that's not a concussion....Seriously,you just don't know.

I put my pictures in the wrong place for some odd reason. Only thing to add is after lunch the place we were cutting was so wet as we have had soo much rain Ron had to pull me out on a level place. After he pulled me out I almost still did not get out of there.

53665513_2324466034464557_9018216700553723904_n.jpg 53788940_2414842228586473_3538378711973756928_n.jpg 53836661_390897158310217_345153660784738304_n.jpg 53908283_384314819072222_3387660303738077184_n.jpg
Second picture is the place we cut after lunch.

54433197_398589617366097_4617020191715360768_n.jpg
Ron playing in the middle of the road.

Brian

Latest posts

Back