McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I saw your dad grab that little stick I knew instantly that he knew his way around a saw. He can probably teach you all you need to know. As he can tell you some trees need to be cut quicker than you cut that one to prevent a barber chair. Speed will come with more experience. Lining up cuts comes only with practice.

Ron

He specifically told me we where gonna go slow and watch what the tree did. We where falling it perpendicular to the predominant lean but it had lean in the direction we wanted it to go and a huge limb on that side so dad was explaining to me how to steer it before we started if I had to.

Kevin,I didn't mean that something went wrong with your felling.I could see it went well.What I meant was from my own experiences.
You're a lucky man to have a dad who'll take the time to teach his son what he knows.My dad is gone now too,like Ron's dad,but my dad never took an interest in his sons.We all had to pretty much learn everything on our own.I'm glad to say that I'll teach my son what I can.
Ed

When I saw your dad grab that little stick I knew instantly that he knew his way around a saw. He can probably teach you all you need to know. As he can tell you some trees need to be cut quicker than you cut that one to prevent a barber chair. Speed will come with more experience. Lining up cuts comes only with practice.

Ron
That saw is also a bit unwieldy for the purpose too. I wasnt planning to use that saw but when I found steel lower in the stump with the new chain on my Husky it dictated otherwise lol.

I posted this on the Tradin' Post earlier but since this particular thread caters to MacNuts like myself... I was wondering if anyone had a rubber intake boot (connector) for a SP125C laying around. I believe the part number is 69889.

I posted this on the Tradin' Post earlier but since this particular thread caters to MacNuts like myself... I was wondering if anyone had a rubber intake boot (connector) for a SP125C laying around. I believe the part number is 69889.
You might try Bob Johnson.He's a big time parts dealer for Macs.607-638-9297

Quick spark plug question, my old Macs call for a champion J8J. That number is superseded by J8C but the J8C is a longer plug overall and a bit of a stretch for the plug wire. Can I use a CJ8 instead? Same heat range, same reach, just a smaller hex and a shorter insulator. Thanks in advance.

Quick spark plug question, my old Macs call for a champion J8J. That number is superseded by J8C but the J8C is a longer plug overall and a bit of a stretch for the plug wire. Can I use a CJ8 instead? Same heat range, same reach, just a smaller hex and a shorter insulator. Thanks in advance.
Kevin,I did a cross reference on the J8J & came up with several alternatives:Chaampion J8C,Bosch W10EC,Bosch 0241225548,NGK 3510,NGK 865,& NGK stk 3510.There are many more,but I picked the best ones to use.I hope this helps.
Ed

I'm no plug but the CJ has a washer to seal rather than the taper. Someone before me ran a CJ in my pm700 and now I'm stuck running them in it as the carbon built up on the threads and I can't get the correct plug to go in far enough to seal up.

Ah I see said the blind man. I shall go n sit down quietly lol.

Anyone here peen there rivets with a hammer? I've just been putting a chain together out of bits n pieces it doesn't run too well as some of the older bits of chain are warn so it gets tight and loose around the hard nose bar it mite be better on a sprocket tip I spose. I also had a couple chains that still have 5 or 6 sharpenings left but had broken a couple cutters off now yeah I know just run them like that but on a riged saw it vibrates a bit so I had a go at replacing the cutters and rather than using 2 presets I just used 1 right on the cutter itself. It's kinda tricky peening the rivets with out beating the cutter but got it done and seems good as so does anyone else do this or am I being a tight ass lol? I like how old chain cuts so like to use them up good.

Another thing has anyone made up a chain catcher on a 10 series? It seems I could use the bottom spike mounting hole. Or am i being paranoid I've never broken a chain yet

Hi guys,I finally got at the 1-50.I had a heck of a time getting the flywheel off.I finally was successful with that earlier today after heating with a heat gun,beating it with a drift pin & ammer,& dowsing it liberally with PB Blaster & letting it set for a couple of days.The nerxt thing of course was to get the screw out for the lever that holds the points cover on.Same thing again,I had to put heat on it with a heat gun,beat it with a chisel & hammer,no Blaster this time as it wouldn't do any good,but finally it came looser.The cover came off without a problem,but the gasket kinda disintegrated.Could I make my own gasket using 1/32 Karropak material?
Next was getting the points out.They were adhered to the points box.I had a hell of a time getting them out.The pivot pin was the culprit that was stuck to the bottom of the points box.This saw must've been stored in a very humid environment for a very long period of time.I finally got them out & noticed that they look exactly like the points for my 380.About 2 weeks ago Ebay had all kinds of points for the 380 & they were cheap.Now there's very little & whatever's there is fairly expensive.
Ed

I believe all of the 80cc and 87cc large frame saws use the same points I know my 380, my 440, and my 1-52 all do. I keep a couple sets in stock, grab them.on Ebay when I see them cheap.

The next MAC generation is coming on strong. Brian's son, Lee, was hard at it today with a PM510. Ron
Those saws aren't the easiest to work on either.I had one all pulled apart back in Feb.I cleaned the points & rebuilt the carb.It ran for about 2 min.,then died.It has no spark,I think the condenser went bad.Now I've got to tear it apart all over again.
Ed

Be careful not to reconfigure the trigger rod. I have an SP40 (same as PM510 except less plastic). I bent the throttle rod while working on it. Tried to straighten it, but only have 80 to 90% throttle now. I have a new rod but haven't torn into the saw to replace it.

Lee at work yesterday.
IMG_4230.JPG

Ron

Mid week Mac update.
Got back to the 1-86 a little. I finished rebuilding the tillotson that came with the saw and swapped it in for the POS Chinese clone I put in there. Re sealed the fuel tank for the third time. This time I used Indian Head on the gasket, it better not leak.
Took it out and pulled it about twenty times but it wouldnt fire. Figured it wasnt pulling fuel so I went back to the garage to get my primer bottle. Primed it, pulled it once and the rope snapped off[emoji35] that was the end of that for tonight.
Grabbed the 1-52 and went to the log pile bucking some firewood. Man that saw rips for an oldie!!!!! I was actually a bit scared of burning it up so I tuned it back a bit!!

Ah I see said the blind man. I shall go n sit down quietly lol.

Anyone here peen there rivets with a hammer? I've just been putting a chain together out of bits n pieces it doesn't run too well as some of the older bits of chain are warn so it gets tight and loose around the hard nose bar it mite be better on a sprocket tip I spose. I also had a couple chains that still have 5 or 6 sharpenings left but had broken a couple cutters off now yeah I know just run them like that but on a riged saw it vibrates a bit so I had a go at replacing the cutters and rather than using 2 presets I just used 1 right on the cutter itself. It's kinda tricky peening the rivets with out beating the cutter but got it done and seems good as so does anyone else do this or am I being a tight ass lol? I like how old chain cuts so like to use them up good.

Another thing has anyone made up a chain catcher on a 10 series? It seems I could use the bottom spike mounting hole. Or am i being paranoid I've never broken a chain yet

I have a breaker and spinner now but was setting the rivets with a hammer and a punch. Just go slow and don't go too far.

Latest posts

Back