McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful saws nice bars too. Have you got some big wood to run them in? I've got some huge cypress trees to drop here and those would be almost enough lol
I did for a while but I no longer have help and I refuse to cut big wood alone so these become gtg saws. Thankfully there were some large old growth logs to cut at our last one.

That's a shame no bugger interested in the big rounds neer you? Is hard yakka though for sure
Nope, and I'm working 11 - 12 hour days so at 55 I'm getting a bit tired to get up early on my days off and go and cut wood for someone else. The volunteer on my dime wore kinda thin. Folks don't truly appreciate the work and money it costs.

Dead right there every minute its running is raking up the till I don't mind cutting for people but usually its because I want to or there good appreciative people who shout a chain or help me with other things.

12 hours a day at your age man far out

I'm 55 also,worked commercial construction full time,part time tree work since I was 17.Last Fall I did some 11-12 hour days for about 3 weeks,I'm done with that crap now.I'll stick to a regular 40 hour week,let the young bucks with wife & kids have that gig. Another year or so I'm done completely,gonna collect my pension,maybe work part time elsewhere much less stressful on the body.

Jethro, you changed your avatar. Looks good.
Awesome gear drive saws. Sawfun.

A change is as good as a holiday they say.

I'm 55 also,worked commercial construction full time,part time tree work since I was 17.Last Fall I did some 11-12 hour days for about 3 weeks,I'm done with that crap now.I'll stick to a regular 40 hour week,let the young bucks with wife & kids have that gig. Another year or so I'm done completely,gonna collect my pension,maybe work part time elsewhere much less stressful on the body.

Good on ya mate let us have all the hours we need them. I'm doing 55 a week all winter building dairy sheds hopeful to be taking it easy at that age too but the way things are going retirement will be age 70 there trying to push the pension up to 67 now

Had my SP81 out for the first time last weekend. 32" bar 3/8 skip. It pulled awesome through maple and cedar. I can see why everyone likes them so much, nice and light, and really angry. Sorry, didn't get any photos.

I have a homelite xl-924 (82ccs) and several pioneer p50's (82ccs) and I can say that its definitely a comparable saw, I haven't used it enough to say definitively if its the best.

Only issue I have is that the fuel cap vent seems to leak. I tried pulling the center aluminum piece out, but I was afraid I'd break the cap. Anyone got some tips for easy removal? I assume that you just put a homelite duckbill valve in there to fix it? Already did the Teflon tape fix on the fuel line.

I think it also wants new crank seals, can they be changed without completely tearing down the saw?

This photo is from right after I bought it:
20171119_120147.jpg

This could also be the source of your air leak.

Is the shroud polished aluminum or chrome? Is the exhaust port flush with the fins or recessed? Just wondering if you have a kart engine. I have seen at least one undetected kart engine MAC sold as a regular 125.

Ron

It looks to be polished aluminum and the exhaust port looks to be flush with the fins. I'm assuming this is indicative of a standard SP125. I wish I had the 101B fitted in there lol.

Seems as though it really needs a jolly good strip down and sort out but cool though will be a nice project

It definitely will! I looked through it with a fine toothed comb this past week and noticed miscellaneous bolts / screws missing from different areas (or in the correct areas but not tightened down completely). One bolt missing from the intake area. Also pulled the oil tank off completely and noticed a pencil led sized hole in the oil tank. Gonna patch that up ASAP. I'm also gonna pull the fuel tank/airbox and install a new intake gasket and new oil tank gasket (where it meets the bottom of the crankcase). Then once I'm done with that, I will replace the PTO crank seal for sh*ts and giggles to see where we stand. - ALSO - I changed the fuel line and it leaks no more... and replaced the impulse line just because. - Still runs as if it has a serious air leak.

Here is another SP81 I bought recently from eBay (where the prices can be outrageous). Tested at 195 PSI - Stronger than mine or my brother-in-law's SP81s! Super clean cylinder/piston and super blue/white spark. Oils well. Couldn't be happier. Might've paid slightly more than I wanted to but definitely worth it. Fitted it with a 24" Oregon Bar with a Full Comp Oregon chain.

Here's a video of it running:

Attachments

• IMG_6150.JPG
    IMG_6150.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6153.JPG
    IMG_6153.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6157.JPG
    IMG_6157.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
It looks to be polished aluminum and the exhaust port looks to be flush with the fins. I'm assuming this is indicative of a standard SP125. I wish I had the 101B fitted in there lol.

Yes, the signs of a 125. Nothing wrong with that. I enjoy mine. Ron

Had my SP81 out for the first time last weekend. 32" bar 3/8 skip. It pulled awesome through maple and cedar. I can see why everyone likes them so much, nice and light, and really angry. Sorry, didn't get any photos.

I have a homelite xl-924 (82ccs) and several pioneer p50's (82ccs) and I can say that its definitely a comparable saw, I haven't used it enough to say definitively if its the best.

Only issue I have is that the fuel cap vent seems to leak. I tried pulling the center aluminum piece out, but I was afraid I'd break the cap. Anyone got some tips for easy removal? I assume that you just put a homelite duckbill valve in there to fix it? Already did the Teflon tape fix on the fuel line.

I think it also wants new crank seals, can they be changed without completely tearing down the saw?

This photo is from right after I bought it:
View attachment 727085

I use a feeler gauge with the allen key looking things (not the most mechanically inclined to know the technical name for those). But use the smallest allen key to rip the rubber all the way around the seal (PTO side) then use a small, long and narrow flat head (SK White and Green) screwdriver to pop it out. (Inside the rubber, backside of the metal ring)... I stick it where the rubber is ripped and shimmy it out with the screwdriver. I don't damage the bore doing it, but if you do it wrong, it can damage the bore that the crank seal sits in. Has always worked for me. Spraying some PB Blaster on it for a few days prior to removing it may or may not help. Replacing the flywheel crank seal is a different story lol.

Here is another SP81 I bought recently from eBay (where the prices can be outrageous). Tested at 195 PSI - Stronger than mine or my brother-in-law's SP81s! Super clean cylinder/piston and super blue/white spark. Oils well. Couldn't be happier. Might've paid slightly more than I wanted to but definitely worth it. Fitted it with a 24" Oregon Bar with a Full Comp Oregon chain.

Here's a video of it running:

Well impressed mate what a gem well done very very nice:) now go on go n get that saw in some dam wood lol

As promised, pictures and video
62a1ea1d021eaeeb01fa92a50e1d1e56.jpg
63c61459148bfef601058bb1cc93eaa7.jpg
A little more footage from last weekend.
Me falling the oak with dads guidance and some assistance (I'm still green at it, but trying to learn) and a little Mac music, me on the 1-52 and dad on the 10-10
Oh, and excuse my wife's commentary lol.

I can't tell ya how many botched tree fellings I've had in my day.Lol Luckily no one ever got hurt & no property damage.I'm much better now after 45+ yrs.of doing it.
Ed
It turned out fine, went right where we wanted it. This is literally only the 4th tree (of any size) that I've felled. I realized last winter that I never learned, I always buy truck loads of logs and buck on a pile. If I ever needed one dropped I just called dad and he would come do it for me, he grew up logging. I figured dad is 66 now and wont be able to do this stuff forever so I asked him to teach me before he cant. I know the principal, I just seem to be struggling with the mechanics of it, lining cuts up and such.
If anyone has tips, I'm all ears.

2b2r, enjoyed the video and your off camera cheerleader. Nice to have a dad taking the time to teach and a son willing to listen. Though my dad and I butted heads a lot in his later years, I miss him and regret I didn’t pester him to teach me more than he did. Can’t go back, but if I could, I hope I would spend less time trying to prove myself and more trying to improve myself.

Ron

Latest posts

Back