McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put my PM55 to work today to noodle up some large rounds of American Elm. The tree had been dead for a few years and cut down for at least 9 months but it was still quite wet in the center. I cut the "rounds" at about 16" since I was giving most of this firewood to a local family and their wood stove can't handle longer pieces. With a 16" bar and the spikes I could not quite reach all the way through them, perfect since I could just leave the rounds standing in place and cut them down to a size I could manage in the splitter.

Yesterday it looked like this.

View attachment 833414

Two truckloads (Ranger) and two trailer loads later it looks like this.

View attachment 833421

If you are not familiar with American Elm, it really doesn't split well at all so I left a lot of the pieces with knots and crotches for the land owner to deal with. I broke the nose sprocket on the SP125 on this one yesterday.

View attachment 833422

Mark
I like your 3 saw plan.

I'm waiting on a few things to be delivered for a few projects, seals for an 800,tank gasket for a 10-10 and some others...
But I was able to go to my local saw shop and get a fuel line for the PM60, which is actually a stihl 034 line.

Attachments

• 20200605_105608.jpg
    20200605_105608.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • 20200605_121648.jpg
    20200605_121648.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
  • 20200605_121947.jpg
    20200605_121947.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 15
  • 20200605_121959.jpg
    20200605_121959.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 16
Well I have my sp81 torn apart
I'm waiting on a few things to be delivered for a few projects, seals for an 800,tank gasket for a 10-10 and some others...
But I was able to go to my local saw shop and get a fuel line for the PM60, which is actually a stihl 034 line.
How well does it seal? Any modifications needed?

I wanted to revisit my 8 pin rim sprocket with the PM60 because it has lots of usable torque. I had a decent 20" sprocket nose bar I dressed and a new loop of the Exl-j Oregon skip tooth ,72 DL .really the only thing I have laying in the yard is the pecan log thats about 23-24" so its a pretty good example of how it pulls through hard wood.

That last post of mine is messed up....how well does it seal and are any modifications needed?

Ok folks,

I need some expert advice. Today I was up at my Uncles continuing to run though his collection of the 82cc Macs. We went through several more today just seeing what TLC they need for setting for too long. In the process I spied an SP81 in the corner. I said does it run, he said it did but never good. To make a long story short I checked the compression and its not great about 120. He said you want to rebuild it if the blocks good? I said hell yes! I wondered if was a points saw or an E so I pulled the recoil cover and its not an E. I said to my uncle well I have some one piece ignitions, lets covert it like you did Dads SP81 when we rebuilt it. He said we rebuilt your Dad's saw with an 850 block. This block is the old style and the ignition will not bolt up. My question to those that know here is can this saw be coverted to an SP81E. And if so what ignition parts do I need to find to fit it? Thanks guys. Like I always say ya don't know what y don't know, and I don't know lol. BTW I appreciate the knowledge here. its nice to find!

IMG_6140.jpgIMG_6139.jpgIMG_6138.jpg

Ok folks,

I need some expert advice. Today I was up at my Uncles continuing to run though his collection of the 82cc Macs. We went through several more today just seeing what TLC they need for setting for too long. In the process I spied an SP81 in the corner. I said does it run, he said it did but never good. To make a long story short I checked the compression and its not great about 120. He said you want to rebuild it if the blocks good? I said hell yes! I wondered if was a points saw or an E so I pulled the recoil cover and its not an E. I said to my uncle well I have some one piece ignitions, lets covert it like you did Dads SP81 when we rebuilt it. He said we rebuilt your Dad's saw with an 850 block. This block is the old style and the ignition will not bolt up. My question to those that know here is can this saw be coverted to an SP81E. And if so what ignition parts do I need to find to fit it? Thanks guys. Like I always say ya don't know what y don't know, and I don't know lol. BTW I appreciate the knowledge here. its nice to find!

View attachment 833607View attachment 833608View attachment 833609
If you want electric ignition instead of creating a host of parts swaps ,just chip it! Hell leave the points in it and mount the new chip per the instructions and whamo ! Electric ignition.
Most small engine shops carry them.

If you want electric ignition instead of creating a host of parts swaps ,just chip it! Hell leave the points in it and mount the new chip per the instructions and whamo ! Electric ignition.
Most small engine shops carry them.
Ok dumb question..."Chip it"? not familiar with piece of tech. Thanks

Ok thanks! Feel sort of stupid for not knowing what they were lol.
Honestly I had never heard of them before I started fixing old saws, so don't sweat it. I've even converted my old cars over to electronic ignition before and never knew about these.
The first time I saw one I thought it was a gimmicky BS item but they work.

The first time I saw one on a saw I didn't know what it was for quite some time.It was on my first 10-10A that I was working on.I was laying in bed one night thinking about it,then it hit me it was a chip.The person who had the saw previously had the condenser go bad & put a chip in it,but still had a problem of intermittent spark.It took me a while to figure out that the coil wire was grounding out in between the cylinder fins.I put a good condenser in it,rerouted the new coil wire on the outside of the saw & haven't had a problem since.
It's getting to the point that no new condensers are being made anymore because everything is electronic ignition module nowadays.All those condensers on Ebay that are "NOS" you're doing a crap shoot on,they can go bad just sitting on a shelf.As soon as I use up the condensers I have on hand I'll start switching over to chips,I don't see any other choice.
Jethro,I don't see why those chips you have in your lawnmowers won't work on a saw.Nothing to lose as I see it.

Back