McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I managed to get the carb rebuilt and the old 1-40 running half decent last night. It seems like it might have an ignition miss at idle. I haven't even had the flywheel cover off so I think I should get a look at the points. Skip to the end if you just want to see it running lol.
I also scored a 450 yesterday. I forgot to take pics. It is rough but it fires on prime and has wicked compression. I will probably swap it to a Tillotson, I have numerous carbs and kits on hand.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Does anybody know of any current bar and chain manufacturers that make bars that will mount on an SP125 or 797 without modification?

I bought an older 10-10 last month fairly cheap on Feebay.I got the saw & found that it didn't have a muffler.A phone call to Bob J.& had one ordered,it only took a month for him to ship it with all the other parts,he's one helluva busy guy! I put the muffler on today & have a little more to do on it - put the FW cover back on,rear handle brace,& tighten up the chain,then it should be ready to go.Including my Super 10-10 this makes #4. (in the 10-10 dept.).

Thats funny Ed ,I just finished this
10-10A 2 weekends ago.
I stitched a uni-foam filter over the wire mesh screen that used to be frocked. I also to my dismay had to chip it with a nova2 ,I've done a bunch of points and this set just did not want to adjust correctly and I don't know if it was the crank lobe or not . She's running like a champ now though. 20200711_062418.jpg

Thats funny Ed ,I just finished this
10-10A 2 weekends ago.
I stitched a uni-foam filter over the wire mesh screen that used to be frocked. I also to my dismay had to chip it with a nova2 ,I've done a bunch of points and this set just did not want to adjust correctly and I don't know if it was the crank lobe or not . She's running like a champ now though. View attachment 856625
That clutch cover looks too new for that saw, do you know if it’s original or not?

I am trying to keep a few saws available for sale in the new building, had a drop in customer a week ago Saturday (12 Sep) looking for a small saw so I sold him an Eager Beaver 2014. This is one of the 32/35/38 cc models engineered by McCulloch in Tucson and assembled in Hermosillo, MX. These are generally reliable little saws and easy to work on, the weak spot is the oil tank where strong arm users overtighten the cap to minimize leakage and strip the threads on the neck of the tank. Replacing the gasket is the correct solution.

20200921_175646.jpg

Anyway, it came back last Friday with the report it would run for a few minutes then die. Check the fuel (empty) fill it up, run it a few minutes, it died and would not restart. I sent them off with another saw so he could carry on with his task and decided to investigate. Pressure check was good, vacuum would not hold so I tore it all the way down to replace the seals, decided the piston looked iffy and since I had one in the attic replaced the piston. Back together and again pressure test good, vacuum failed...now what? I stripped it down to the block and removed the insulator (carburetor mount) and check it again, still would not hold vacuum...kept pumping and suddenly it was holding. Try it again and similar results, wouldn't hold vacuum but if I kept pumping it would hold. Tried it one more time and noticed the crankshaft rotating a bit as I pumped the vacuum, when stopped moving the vacuum held steady, I guess the rings must have been sealing pretty well.

Put it back together and out for a test cut, ran great for a few minutes then it would die at idle and was very hard to restart as in badly flooded. Get it going and it would run very well, make a long cut with no problems, the at idle it would load up and die. Again very hard to restart as in badly flooded. It was getting dark so I quit.

I spent most of Saturday working in the new shop but decided to have a look at the carburetor late in the afternoon. The gaskets & diaphragms looked good, adjustments looked good, put it back together and back to the brush dump for testing and the same results, runs great for several minutes then loads up and idle and dies.

Today I decided I'd pressure test the carburetor and sure enough, there was just a slight leakdown. I had already removed the carburetor from a parts saw in the attic so I installed new gaskets, diaphragms, and the metering needle and spring. Still leaks, check the metering diaphragm and it had the wrong pip so find another metering diaphragm with the correct pip and it still leaks a bit...add a little fuel and check again, sealed up tight.

Assemble the saw, back to the brush dump, run a tank of fuel through it and it runs, cuts, idles, and generally works as well as a 32 cc saw can.

I guess in the future I should try to figure out what the problem is before starting to throw a lot of parts and effort into the task. Did I learn my lesson? We'll see.

Mark

That clutch cover looks too new for that saw, do you know if it’s original or not?
Correct it is not original. Alot of my rescued saws had broken clutch covers so a little bit of swapping is required. I might be one for one at the moment for clutch covers . Stock fluctuations are due to what scrap yards I pass in my ttavels.

Latest posts

Back