McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also stopped by my favorite scrap yard ,and I've been there so many times the owner will set saws he knows I like to side for me.
He had this really not abused Pro Mac 10-10 ,points ignition. Not really bad to make a runner, broken adjustment screw slot , short pull rope , and bad gas. I'm gonna replace the duckbill in the cap.
Gave it a spin with a 24" and some old #38 Homelite chain. Pulls good noodled up some dry oak rounds.20201102_185807.jpg20201102_185812.jpg20201102_185838.jpg20201102_185909.jpg20201102_142421.jpg
For some unknown reason P.O. poked holes in the muffler?20201102_185848.jpg

I also stopped by my favorite scrap yard ,and I've been there so many times the owner will set saws he knows I like to side for me.
He had this really not abused Pro Mac 10-10 ,points ignition. Not really bad to make a runner, broken adjustment screw slot , short pull rope , and bad gas. I'm gonna replace the duckbill in the cap.
Gave it a spin with a 24" and some old #38 Homelite chain. Pulls good noodled up some dry oak rounds.View attachment 865717View attachment 865718View attachment 865719View attachment 865721View attachment 865720
For some unknown reason P.O. poked holes in the muffler?View attachment 865722

Nice saw man. Love those braked clutch covers. I want 1 on my 850

Well finally catching up on project saws, so gonna tackle some more of my Macs. Yesterday I was able to grab a decent 2-10 for $30. I figured it was worth it for parts for my other 2-10, 1-10, and a 6-10 I have missing a lot of parts. Well when I got it home I realized I think its a bit cleaner than my previous 2-10. Well anyways the goal is to make 3 runners out of the saws below....from left to right, 1-10, 2-10, 2-10, and 6-10.20201102_210429.jpg
The new 2-10 I picked up has a beautiful 20" hard-nosed bar. The 6-10 is locked up from sitting and has some iffy spark plug threads. Also has oil pump blocked off? I wasn't aware they were manual oiler only.

Another thought I have is fixing up another 10-10s carcass I have. Can a lightweight right hand start 10-10s be built with spare parts from these saws?

It's like a disease.

Yellow fever :)

Well finally catching up on project saws, so gonna tackle some more of my Macs. Yesterday I was able to grab a decent 2-10 for $30. I figured it was worth it for parts for my other 2-10, 1-10, and a 6-10 I have missing a lot of parts. Well when I got it home I realized I think its a bit cleaner than my previous 2-10. Well anyways the goal is to make 3 runners out of the saws below....from left to right, 1-10, 2-10, 2-10, and 6-10.View attachment 865758
The new 2-10 I picked up has a beautiful 20" hard-nosed bar. The 6-10 is locked up from sitting and has some iffy spark plug threads. Also has oil pump blocked off? I wasn't aware they were manual oiler only.

Another thought I have is fixing up another 10-10s carcass I have. Can a lightweight right hand start 10-10s be built with spare parts from these saws?

I think the issue is clutch with keyway and different taper. Maybe put the right hand crank under an S cylinder n piston.

Or just go left pull like my S powered lightweight

Yellow fever :)

I think the issue is clutch with keyway and different taper. Maybe put the right hand crank under an S cylinder n piston.

Or just go left pull like my S powered lightweight
Jethro, which lightweight parts did you use specifically? I remember seeing post about that saw but can't remember what you did.

Jethro, which lightweight parts did you use specifically? I remember seeing post about that saw but can't remember what you did.

20200113_100043.jpg
20200113_100346.jpg

Its a lightweight righty tank. A 10-10S block a PM10-10 starter.

It out cuts my mates offbrand 311 and is lighter lol. No brake though

McKid - I have had success with a loose bar stud/bolt by cleaning everything very well and setting the stud in place with JB Weld. I used a piece of pipe with a washer and bar nut to hold it in place while the JB cured. I have a few broken flywheel covers from folks trying to start the 82cc saws without the compression release. You should be able to remove that valve with a thin wall deep well 7/16" socket. You also need to remove the socket head cap screw and use a small drill bit (by hand) to clean the port into the cylinder to allow the DSP to vent properly.

DSC06997.1.jpg

I have had good success dealing with oxidized magnesium using the abrasive blast cabinet and some decent paint. On occasion it may be necessary to use some spot putty to improve the finish on more readily apparent areas. In some cases where the corrosion goes all the way through I've been able repair by blasting, putting some tape over the hole, then adding JB Weld on the other side to fill in the voids.

This is a flywheel cover that had a hole knocked through it so I used some wire mesh to help reinforce it.

20180716_084313.jpg

20180716_084527.jpg

20180718_075927.jpg

20180718_075907.jpg

Mark

So, I picked up this Super Pro 81 for $30 this afternoon... I'm not really sure if I did good on this one or not after giving it a quick closer look when I got home.

The Good:
Great compression
Air filter was relatively clean and had no holes in it
???

The Bad:
Light to moderate mag rot, mostly on the handle and bottom plate
Decompression valve appears to be stuck in the closed position, I feel like I'm going to dislocate something if I try to start the saw as-is
One of the bar studs is stripped and spins in place trying to get the nut off
A few odd/missing screws, evidence that someone was trying to muck around inside in the past and did a poor job putting it back together
Literal spider nest. I swear there's spiders coming out of the woodwork everywhere on this thing

Pics:
View attachment 865522
View attachment 865523
View attachment 865524

Is this worth trying to save? I know from searching through old posts on here and other places online that mag rot can be treated successfully with a chromic/sulfuric acid mixture, but I have yet to find any sources for this chromic acid that don't cost an obscene amount of money for a tiny amount. Are there any other alternatives to this process?

A Super Pro 81 for $30... Jeez. I think this should go in the "You Suck" Thread.

But seriously, Well done! I would follow the sand blasting suggestion. I would use JB weld as a kind of bondo for the spots that get blown away. I wouldn't do the chromic acid idea.

To help you get an idea of how the SP 81 goes together, here is an IPL. (if you don't have one already)
It might be handy to have a reference of what goes where, especially if someone else messed with the saw.

edit: ah, heimannm beat me to it with the JB weld thing. (better ideas too!) :)

Attachments

• Super Pro 81 July 1976 - All Prefixes.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
Is the righty pull 10-10 same as the left pull A? I assumed it will be. I could make mine lighter still with a beat old 7-10 starter I have. The 2-10 with S would be a heck of a we saw.

I have the bullfrog 2-10 and its tight but just going to fit a SDC under it with no choke or make up a sliding choke.

Well finally catching up on project saws, so gonna tackle some more of my Macs. Yesterday I was able to grab a decent 2-10 for $30. I figured it was worth it for parts for my other 2-10, 1-10, and a 6-10 I have missing a lot of parts. Well when I got it home I realized I think its a bit cleaner than my previous 2-10. Well anyways the goal is to make 3 runners out of the saws below....from left to right, 1-10, 2-10, 2-10, and 6-10.View attachment 865758

I believe there were 2 different 6-10s.I happen to have a 6-10A.Of course the auto oiler doesn't work,but I hope to get it oiling this winter.There's not much to them really,just pull the allen screws out & the bolts that hold it in place & the pump is out.Then there's nothing to cleaning up the pump - a spring & a diaphragm & put some air to the impuls hole & put it back together.

Pop off the oil tank cover and hold backside of stud from spinning with vice grips or something.
This was the winning move! I couldn't help but laugh at how simple the solution was. It's obvious why it was spinning around... Nice mystery sludge bar oil, huh?
barstud1.jpg
barstud2.jpg
Anyway, there's lots of useful information for me to use here. Thanks everyone! Hopefully I won't run into any more surprises now that I can really dig in and disassemble this.
I really hope this saw still has lots of life left in it despite how beat up it appears to be on the surface.

This was the winning move! I couldn't help but laugh at how simple the solution was. It's obvious why it was spinning around... Nice mystery sludge bar oil, huh?
View attachment 865809
View attachment 865810
Anyway, there's lots of useful information for me to use here. Thanks everyone! Hopefully I won't run into any more surprises now that I can really dig in and disassemble this.
I really hope this saw still has lots of life left in it despite how beat up it appears to be on the surface.

Nice 1 :)

Yeah if has compression like you say it's going to be good as in fact I'd call you a genuine jammy prick lol. You jammy prick.

They often look more beat up than they really are. Just tossed around on the back of a ute for instance or kept in a fish bin with an axe and a chain or other tools thrown in there or whatever.

There are many stunning no paint loss examples people pay 10 times that amount for only to find its cooked.

Back