McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Figured I'd throw this out here to you guys before listing cause I'd rather this go to a Mac collector. Gonna sell my 380. This is a fantastic running saw that cuts great. Its in really good shape with just one crack in the clutch cover and little damage to muffler deflector. Also has a really neat old roller nose bar on it. I'm looking for $175 plus shipping from you guys...which seems to be running about $60 nowadays.

20201015_214146.jpg20201015_214202.jpg20201015_214209.jpg20201015_214217.jpg20201015_214231.jpg20200506_174626.jpg

I've burned as much as 27 cord of wood in one season,that was the winter of 2014-2015.That was a mighty cold winter that yr.& it was the last yr.before my house got super insulated.Now I only go through about 15-18 cord of wood.I don't split by hand anymore,those days are in the past.I figure after having 8 spinal surgeries I deserve a log splitter with a lift on it.I still do pretty much all the stacking though & I put all of the wood in the basement with a wheelbarrow after it's initial fill up using a trailer.It takes me a little longer than it did when I was 30,now I'm 62+.I think I can still outwork some of today's youngsters.I don't think the younger generation has the same work ethics as what was instilled in out brains when we were growing up.
For those of you who only burn 5-7 cords of wood per yr.,I kinda envy you guys.I see where you live & can understand why you only burn that amount.You're in a much warmer climate.When it gets downright cold here in W.N.Y.I'll go through a cord of hardwood in a week.I don't have a dinky little stove,I have a 100,000 BTU forced hot air furnace that I had installed in my house right after I bought my house 32 + yrs.ago.I'm sure it's not the most efficient furnace,but I can surely say that my house is as warm as toast even on the coldest winter days.
Real cords or those face things that get talked about?

Sorry Jethro,I couldn't imagine burning 27 full cords.Those were face cords.No one ever refers to a cord of wood as a full cord (4Ft.x4ft.x 8ft.) anymore.My face cords are 18 in.-20 in.long logs though,not 16 in.

Sorry Jethro,I couldn't imagine burning 27 full cords.Those were face cords.No one ever refers to a cord of wood as a full cord (4Ft.x4ft.x 8ft.) anymore.My face cords are 18 in.-20 in.long logs though,not 16 in.

Hahaha I stand corrected lol I thought you were old school.

Why can't you boys just use meters like the rest of the world lol

100m³[emoji15][emoji848]

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

I got a mate who burns 20 to 30 cube a year. He has a disabled son at home who needs to be toasty. Generally 20 is a huge amount we burn 8 to 12 average I guess. Good wood is 70 to 100 per cube here to buy so not cheap for non cutting people. I share alot with my grandparents and others if need be

I gotta confess that of those 27 cord of wood there were about 2-3 that were not hardwood.Those 2-3 cord were poplar that I burned during the day when I got close to running out.It was a damn good thing that I had some wood piled up that I'd gotten in in the fall for the following yr.Some of that was ash that you can burn even if it's green (it wasn't green,it was dead).
I started cutting that yr.early (Feb.) & I couldn't get around back to dump it,so it went on my front lawn,& the pile kept growing & growing.Before I knew it I had 25 cord of hardwood piled up.Then it came time to split it.My son got a bunch of his testosterone buddies to come over & give a hand.I was loading up the trailer & stacking it & couldn't keep up with them.Lol

Well... I said that I hoped there wouldn't be any more surprises, but with this saw that's just not going to happen.
Before I go all in on trying to fix this saw properly, I wanted to see if the saw can at least still run properly. Figured out quickly that there's no spark, so I decided to tackle the mystery meat fasteners and remove the recoil/flywheel cover to investigate the coil and associated things. This is what I found.
sp81_8.jpg
sp81_9.jpg
This poor saws had a rough life. I'm not really sure what the full extent of the damage is here, but some sort of big crack happened in the metal here. This also explains why the holes through the bottom plate aren't aligned.
Edit: Upon examining the IPL it appears to be either shroud #86314A or #88835A that got broken somehow.
This cover is a bit roughed up and is missing a chunk, but otherwise doesn't appear to be too bad.
sp81_10.jpg
sp81_11.jpg
Here's a peek through the spark plug hole... Also, how is this clutch supposed to come off? I've tried gently shocking it with the nut partially on but the thing won't budge. Is it threaded on and meant to be unscrewed?
sp81_sparkplug.jpg
sp81_clutch.jpg

I gotta confess that of those 27 cord of wood there were about 2-3 that were not hardwood.Those 2-3 cord were poplar that I burned during the day when I got close to running out.It was a damn good thing that I had some wood piled up that I'd gotten in in the fall for the following yr.Some of that was ash that you can burn even if it's green (it wasn't green,it was dead).
I started cutting that yr.early (Feb.) & I couldn't get around back to dump it,so it went on my front lawn,& the pile kept growing & growing.Before I knew it I had 25 cord of hardwood piled up.Then it came time to split it.My son got a bunch of his testosterone buddies to come over & give a hand.I was loading up the trailer & stacking it & couldn't keep up with them.Lol

Nice Ed :)

Geo-thermal heat pumps and a wood stove in the basement. Last winter was mild and I was too busy to spend time in the basement so the wood stove just sat. Ron

Well that makes it easy then

How is this clutch supposed to come off? I've tried gently shocking it with the nut partially on but the thing won't budge. Is it threaded on and meant to be unscrewed?
View attachment 866119
I believe so, and it looks like it has provisions for you to use a cold chisel to pop it loose machined into the clutch "spider".

Well... I said that I hoped there wouldn't be any more surprises, but with this saw that's just not going to happen.
Before I go all in on trying to fix this saw properly, I wanted to see if the saw can at least still run properly. Figured out quickly that there's so spark, so I decided to tackle the mystery meat fasteners and remove the recoil/flywheel cover to investigate the coil and associated things. This is what I found.
View attachment 866115
View attachment 866116
This poor saws had a rough life. I'm not really sure what the full extent of the damage is here, but some sort of big crack happened in the metal here. This also explains why the holes through the bottom plate aren't aligned.
This cover is a bit roughed up and is missing a chunk, but otherwise doesn't appear to be too bad.
View attachment 866117
View attachment 866118
Here's a peek through the spark plug hole... Also, how is this clutch supposed to come off? I've tried gently shocking it with the nut partially on but the thing won't budge. Is it threaded on and meant to be unscrewed?
View attachment 866120
View attachment 866119
Don't be so hasty to throw in the towel right away.Not every saw you get is going to be an easy fix like change the plug & put new fuel in it & it's good to go.Everything with this saw is going to be a learning process.Don't let it overwhelm you.

Before I go all in on trying to fix this saw properly, I wanted to see if the saw can at least still run properly. Figured out quickly that there's so spark, so I decided to tackle the mystery meat fasteners and remove the recoil/flywheel cover to investigate the coil and associated things. This is what I found.
View attachment 866115
View attachment 866116
View attachment 866117
View attachment 866118
View attachment 866120
View attachment 866119

Think its time to get that tank off and get it cleaned up properly. Don't rush it good things take time. Your very lucky to have that project. Enjoy every step.

The clutch is a taper fit unscrew the nut until flush with the crank and hold the flywheel in your hand now lift the saw up by the flywheel and crack the nut with a copper hammer if on hand if not be careful with a steel hammer but check for mushrooming and be careful.

Flywheel same again

Latest posts

Back