McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kpSFqbL.jpg

optMYaD.jpg

Thanks guys. This is the one I have and I just figured it was a standard old 250. It has a vented airbox cover, but not like the black one. I hope to go by my old saw source and he has a 250 on the shelf, if it was a Super, I'd get it. It does not have a full wrap or I would have brought it home last trip. If not, there are plenty other saws I'd like. He wants $20 apiece for all of them. He has a 1-40, several big Macs that I couldn't get to, that I'll dig out, and a big Homelite gear drive.

Another confusing thing is Acres site shows a stock pic for the Supers, with a black air box cover, but I can't see holes in it, and neither pic has a full wrap. I know he puts lots of work in his site, but, you just can't do it all.
This is a couple of Super 250’s that I recently acquired. One on the left was locked. Don’t know much about them. Looking forward to making at least one good one out of the two.
EEEB6502-8E8B-4E80-8145-7B82291756F8.jpeg1948A659-AB14-4CC0-AC86-661682D4244B.jpegEEEB6502-8E8B-4E80-8145-7B82291756F8.jpeg1948A659-AB14-4CC0-AC86-661682D4244B.jpeg

6-10 is a fun lightweight saw. Mine has the safety start. It didnt run all that great with the sdc2 carb. I ended up swapoing out the fuel tank with a 10-10 tank and using a fixed jet tillotson carb. Its a joy to operate it now. Runs fantastic, starts easy. It wears an 18" mac bar and .325 .050 chain. Great limber saw. Good luck with that one.

6-10 is a fun lightweight saw. Mine has the safety start. It didnt run all that great with the sdc2 carb. I ended up swapoing out the fuel tank with a 10-10 tank and using a fixed jet tillotson carb. Its a joy to operate it now. Runs fantastic, starts easy. It wears an 18" mac bar and .325 .050 chain. Great limber saw. Good luck with that one.

That's an interesting choice of chain to run Vinny??

I like those carbs I have a 7-10 running a fixed tilly and it runs really well not sure why but seems to have a special little snap off idle compared to any of the sdc 70s (very subtle) Sure it could have a little more up top but really whats that actually going to achieve by the end of the day and its done the most work of all my 70s yet has the best engine. I'm convinced its the fixed tilly that has done that. My other good 7-10 also ran a fixed tilly and also pretty strong. The sdc44 7-10 is missing chrome and some good scores.

Obviously 3 saws isn't going to tell the full story but just an observation. An adjustable carb in the hands of someone who doesn't know and is running lean is death to it especially adding a dull chain to the mix.

Have you tried soaking the cylinder with a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF? I had a C72 locked up, soaked it for two weeks and it broke free.
I was going to try that mix if the standard penetrating fluid didn’t work. It took a few days and about a can of fluid but it finally broke free. Haven’t really done anything with it since then. Just letting the rings soak while I work away in a couple other projects.

That's an interesting choice of chain to run Vinny??

I like those carbs I have a 7-10 running a fixed tilly and it runs really well not sure why but seems to have a special little snap off idle compared to any of the sdc 70s (very subtle) Sure it could have a little more up top but really whats that actually going to achieve by the end of the day and its done the most work of all my 70s yet has the best engine. I'm convinced its the fixed tilly that has done that. My other good 7-10 also ran a fixed tilly and also pretty strong. The sdc44 7-10 is missing chrome and some good scores.

Obviously 3 saws isn't going to tell the full story but just an observation. An adjustable carb in the hands of someone who doesn't know and is running lean is death to it especially adding a dull chain to the mix.
Yea i got the bar one day from a guy at work. I didnt know what to put it on at first. When i git the 6-10 running great i thoyght itd be a good fit. Its very nice actually. Also have a 24" hardnose with the same chain on it. I havent tried it yet. 18 works great.

That rilly carb i got also is rather snappy! I noticed the same things. Hardest part for mr was swapping all the saf t start trigger and stuff into the different tank handle. It fit fine but was tedious work.

Yea i got the bar one day from a guy at work. I didnt know what to put it on at first. When i git the 6-10 running great i thoyght itd be a good fit. Its very nice actually. Also have a 24" hardnose with the same chain on it. I havent tried it yet. 18 works great.

That rilly carb i got also is rather snappy! I noticed the same things. Hardest part for mr was swapping all the saf t start trigger and stuff into the different tank handle. It fit fine but was tedious work.

Can certainly appreciate the short bar when walking amongst a messy old tree.

Is the safety start the push button type kill switch/decompression setup?? Never seen 1 in the flesh yet.

My old saw guy is starting to run out of old saws, especially complete ones. I did see a 7-10 power head sitting on a shelf. It might be in the next load I bring home?

Definitely worth grabbing that 7-10 they are rippers man and sound amazing. The guys cutting around you won't even hear there saws and will just stop and watch with the jaw open lol

Is the safety start the push button type kill switch/decompression setup?? Never seen 1 in the flesh yet.

Definitely worth grabbing that 7-10 they are rippers man and sound amazing. The guys cutting around you won't even hear there saws and will just stop and watch with the jaw open lol
Yep

Is the 7-10 roughly the size of a 10-10" ? I was wondering if he had a 7-10 cover on a smaller saw? But, you have to put it in perspective. the 7-10 on the shelf looked small. But the 4 saws I brought home were all 80CC or bigger with big bars on them. I'm working on my cabin in WV so I'll be going past his shop every other day or so. Next time he's open I plan on getting the 7-10, the 250, and an "Old Homelite EZ" not the little ez's.

Is the 7-10 roughly the size of a 10-10" ? I was wondering if he had a 7-10 cover on a smaller saw? But, you have to put it in perspective. the 7-10 on the shelf looked small. But the 4 saws I brought home were all 80CC or bigger with big bars on them. I'm working on my cabin in WV so I'll be going past his shop every other day or so. Next time he's open I plan on getting the 7-10, the 250, and an "Old Homelite EZ" not the little ez's.

Yup it is basically a 70cc 10-10. Just check for a decompression valve on the block. If yes then its a 57 60 or 70cc all of which are good runners

Latest posts

Back