McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surprisingly they do NOT sell splines, but the guy knew what it was instantly. So weird...I bet they have them out back but prefer people come with their saws to get them serviced rather than buying a spline and doing it yourself! I am all for supporting the local economy, but I want to do this myself.
As a point of clarification (and possible assistance in searching for the correct part locally), the 'spline' is the ribbed stub on the clutch drum that accepts the replaceable 'rim drive sprocket' in a rim drive system. A rim sprocket is what you are searching for, not a spline.

What happens to rim sprockets that necessitates their replacement?
The bore for the bearing or the bore for the clutch wears out. Or, in extreme cases, someone never replaces their rim so it wears to the point that the chain pokes through the rim and hits the clutch drum, the bearing, or even the crankshaft.

What happens to rim sprockets that necessitates their replacement?
Oops, if you mean the rims they will get beaten down till the last bit in my previous post happens. Most rims have notches where the chain sits like the one pictured below: When you can no longer see those notches the rim is worn out.
https://forestdepot.com/image/cache/data/222/22270_01-550x414.jpg

I'm not sure what you mean by "slip", but they will keep turning the chain right up until they break in half.
Oops of course the chain won't slip, that's the drive sprocket I'm thinking of.
I only just got up, it's early Sunday morning here. :innocent:

Something to look out for and I'll probably understand it better when it happens on one of my saws.

I finally got to run my newly rebuilt SP81 today.All I can say is "What a saw!" It has unbelievable power even with a 28 in.bar & chain on it.It doesn't take long to go through a tank of fuel either.I made about 8 cuts in a solid cherry limb that was about 24+ in.& a fewe more cuts on a smaller limb & the tank of fuel was gone.
I'm working on getting the DE80 back together again.I've found all the parts for it except the air filter bracket & spacer.I called Bob J.today to order those & a few more like the air filter that wasn't on the saw when I got it & Bob doesn't seem to have the bracket or spacer.I'm not worried too much about the spacer as I can make that,but the bracket is important.I guess I'll have to be more diligent in my searching in my garage.I do have a question about the bolts for the front of the tank,do they screw into the bottom of the tank,or do they get fastened on with nuts?

I have a working 10-10A (model 600002). I saw on FB Marketplace a few minutes ago someone nearby selling a McCulloch PM605 that isn't working.

Will the chain brake from the PM605 work with my older 10-10A? I've looked up the parts diagrams for each chainsaw. The chain brake parts numbers are different for the two models, but I'm still curious if it would work.

If not, is there a good place I CAN get a chain brake for the 10-10A?

Ed, are you referring to the 2 short 1/4" x 20 bolts that are holding the front antivibe to the tank? If so they are into the tank, no nuts.
Yes Vinny,that's what I was referring to,thanks! I had a look earlier,went out to the garage & flipped the tank over & saw where the bolts screw into.

It looks like I'll need about 6 hands to get the oiler rod in place & get the boot on the intake insulator all at the same time.I'm not that patient of a person,so it'll most likely go flying.

I have a working 10-10A (model 600002). I saw on FB Marketplace a few minutes ago someone nearby selling a McCulloch PM605 that isn't working.

Will the chain brake from the PM605 work with my older 10-10A? I've looked up the parts diagrams for each chainsaw. The chain brake parts numbers are different for the two models, but I'm still curious if it would work.

If not, is there a good place I CAN get a chain brake for the 10-10A?
To the best of my knowledge, they DO NOT interchange.

Latest posts

Back