McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The DE80 is on the back burner indefinitely now.I had to take the bolt out on the choke side again because the choke linkage got stuck up under the AV mount.I had a helluiva time getting the choke linkage out,but finally did.I then tried putting the f^%#*g bolt back in & after wasting over 2 hrs.on it I finally admitted to defeat.
Not defeated, just developing a better attack!

The DE80 is on the back burner indefinitely now.I had to take the bolt out on the choke side again because the choke linkage got stuck up under the AV mount.I had a helluiva time getting the choke linkage out,but finally did.I then tried putting the f^%#*g bolt back in & after wasting over 2 hrs.on it I finally admitted to defeat.
Ed ,when I rebuilt the sp81 it was alot easier for me to get the av back in with the bits out of the way, I drove tje roll pins out of the choke and oiler knobs and then reassembled it with the AV in place . It was still a basssturd but not the worst , you might get farther ahead by going backwards with the handle.

I loosened up the front tank bolts thinking that might help the other day.The front tank bolts were biotches too.I talked with Bob J.the other day & he said it sounded like something was mucked up.Ya gotta remember that the rear & front handles were broken from a mishap by the PO.I figured that his saw (the DE80) was unsecured on a load of wood & he was flying down the road doing about 50-60mph when the McCulloch flying goose took over & the saw was airborne,only thing was it didn't land like a graceful goose.Even the DSP got slightly bent.So,I'm wondering if there was damage done to the rear AV mount,like it might've gotten twisted?

Hi Mcculloch folks. I recently acquired a 1-72. Great shape and complete. It has what I assume is the original hard nose bar & chain. What bar mount can I cross reference to find a sprocket nose? What other Mcculloch saws shared this mount? Any help or advice is appreciated!

That would be the large frame mcculloch mount. Any large frame mac bar will fit. Sp125, cp125, 250, 300 etc. They oil thru the adjuster hole up into the rail. There arent extra oil holes. With a good file and patience nearly any bar will work.

The more modern large frame bar will have an elongated slot that doubles as the bar adjust and oiler hole like the 10 Series bars.

DSC04753.JPG

Some bars however will have a simple bar adjust hole and an oiler hole.

DSCN0009.jpg

Really old bars will may have multiple bar adjust holes and slots in the rail to allow the oil to the groove.

20210210_171348.jpg

Any of those will work on your 1-72 but there are very few available with a sprocket nose. If you can find one of the wider 10 Series bars (D276 mount) it takes about 15 minutes with a couple of good files to make it fit the large frame saws.

Mark

I should also point out there were some "universal mount" bar produced that would fit a variety of saws including the large frame McCulloch. These usually came with special bar plates that were used with some saws to insure the oiler would function as intended. The "S" type spacer was used to allow the larger 3/8" slot bars to be used on the 10 Series saws with 5/16" bar studs.

IMAG0432.jpg

Older Homelite bars will also work on the large frame McCulloch saws but again, sprocket nose bars are few and far between.

Mark

I have to thank Joe (rarefish) for some inspiration.Yes,the DE80 has been biting me in my hind quarters,but I have the tendency to bite back.It won't be on the back burner for long.I had to call Bob J.today to place a parts order & I got to talking with him about the problem I;'m having with the AV mount for the DE80 & I mentioned the fact of how the saw met it's demise some yrs.ago.He did agree that the AV mount couldv'e gotten knocked out of alignment & I ended up buying a new rear AV mount.This is a last ditch effort on my part to try to save this saw.

just run the hardnose?
my 044 sees regular use, has cannon hn on it
was on 038s before that
Yeah. I think I probably will just keep the Original bar. Keep it as it was intended. I don’t plan to use it much anyway. Was just curious what options were out there.
I’m going to fire it for my first time today. Just pulled the carb to take a peek. Put a new needle seat and diaphragm in it. Weird sintered stone in the top of the carb. First time I’ve seen that before. Usually it’s a mesh screen?

That’s carburetor us a bit of a puzzle to get out and back in if your not used to this set up.
Wick has been soaking for about a day now so hopefully it will draw fuel.
I think the saw has an oiler issue. Does not seem to be priming the line.
Going to have to beg for a manual!

Here we go...
Thanks! I didn’t have any luck getting this beast to run. Doesn’t seem to be pulling fuel. Fired up on a prime through the carb but dies out. Possibly the wick isn’t ready to let fuel flow? Let it sit for another day.

This thing kicked my butt! What a terrible saw to pull over and over.....

An ideas for the best place to source a clutch cover for a LH start 10-10 (without a brake). I am in Australia so I need someone who will ship. I was given the saw as parts, but it didn't take any time to get going so I hate seeing it missing parts.

An ideas for the best place to source a clutch cover for a LH start 10-10 (without a brake). I am in Australia so I need someone who will ship. I was given the saw as parts, but it didn't take any time to get going so I hate seeing it missing parts.
I had a quick look on ebay and anything close seems to all be in the US.
There must something local? Or within Australia at least.
We have TradeMe here, you must have a similar auction website? Here's a listing that's always on it:
1617418827002.png

I had a quick look on ebay and anything close seems to all be in the US.
There must something local? Or within Australia at least.
We have TradeMe here, you must have a similar auction website? Here's a listing that's always on it:
View attachment 898868

Shoosh don't tell your mates but he's awesome and have had some awesome deals from him. Shoosh though lol Terry he is and a bloody good chap

Back