McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow I guess Mac 7-10 are going up in value. This one just a fetched good money on ebay.View attachment 897681
Well if you guys stop bragging about them! Haha just kidding.
But compared to the cost of a pro level 70cc saw new thats a decent price it the insides are as nice as the outside.

Make sure the saw oils in milling posture (on its side). Pickup lines tend to harden over time and the oil filter may not be able to follow the oil (gravity) when the saw is on its side.
That's a good point, I will make sure to check.

As a point of clarification (and possible assistance in searching for the correct part locally), the 'spline' is the ribbed stub on the clutch drum that accepts the replaceable 'rim drive sprocket' in a rim drive system. A rim sprocket is what you are searching for, not a spline.
Thanks for helping me (and others) with the terminology, maybe that is why I haven't been able to find the right sprocket locally at all!

old Macks

Have my uncles pride and joy,2 old macs,a Mac 15 and 250. Both like new never abused and lightly used. He was a Mac man through and through. Pioneerguy600
I was just given a MAC15 by my grandson. It will pull over but I have never seen one before. I found a owners manual and want to try to get it running. I also have a Mall 2MG that is stuck but looks complete. Want to hear both of them run!

Just as I figured,the DE80 is quite the PITA to work on.I got the tank handle on the engine & put the 2 front tank screws in & then proceeded to try to do the rear screws.One would think the rear screws would be easier to put in,but not the case for me.After cussing at it briefly,I took a good look at what was holding it up from going together.The throttle linkage needs to be unhooked (it's a 2 piece linkage).Once that's unhooked I SHOULD be able to put the rear screws in.I'll have to rework the boot for the intake insulator & then put the ring on.Getting the oiler rod in place wasn't as tough as I thought it'd be.Before I went any further I put oil in the tank & pumped the manual oiler quite a bit before it primed & started pumping oil to the bar pad.I found that a saw that's been sitting for quite some time can have difficulty in getting the oiler to prime,& I get good results by tipping the saw on it's side.Once I get the tank handle on the rest of the saw should go together fairly easy.

Well so much for the DE80,it can sit for another yr.as far as I'm concerned.I tried to get one screw in on the rear of the tank handle for about 2 1/2 hrs.The screw on the oil pump side goes in easy as can be,but the screw on the choke side fights me tooth & nail.I don't need the aggravation,I have other saws that are more deserving to be worked on.I can't find the air filter bracket or spacer & I've torn the garage apart looking for it.If Bob J.doesn't have what I need I might as well part it out.

Well so much for the DE80,it can sit for another yr.as far as I'm concerned.I tried to get one screw in on the rear of the tank handle for about 2 1/2 hrs.The screw on the oil pump side goes in easy as can be,but the screw on the choke side fights me tooth & nail.I don't need the aggravation,I have other saws that are more deserving to be worked on.I can't find the air filter bracket or spacer & I've torn the garage apart looking for it.If Bob J.doesn't have what I need I might as well part it out.

Dibs on the engine lol

I had a friend stop by today with yet another saws he's picked up recently.

View attachment 895101

View attachment 895102

No model number stamped on the block, and no automatic oil pump but it does have the adapter and SDC carburetor and compression release so I am guessing a Super 797 that someone managed to damage the oil tank/bar studs and replaced it with one from a 1-70 type saw.

Not everyone can make a 797 with a 36" bar look small.

View attachment 895103

I expect to see Eric posting soon under his screen name "Allseasonsunderground". He is an Engineer that like to play in the dirt with his excavators and has a tree removal business as a sideline to keep some of his equipment busy in the winter months.

Lately he has been on a terror collecting saws and has added some real nice units that he actually uses.

View attachment 895104

This is the 075 that we ran side by side with my junk yard dog SP125 some while back. Eric did a little work to it and while is still lags behind the 125 it has certainly closed the gap.

View attachment 895105

Mark

Sorry to inform you Jethro,you're not getting the engine just yet.I had a stroke of good luck today with the DE80 in getting that last screw into place.I put a clamp on that side to bring it together ,but still couldn't get that pesky screw to start.I pulled the screw out from the other side & tried to use that one & still a no go.I then tried to put the screw from the right side into the left side & it wouldn't go in there either.Finally I had a look at the threads & they were buggered a bit either that way from the hardware store,or from me trying to get it started on the right side.I found another screw on the workbench & it went right in! I figured I'd hook up the 2 piece choke rod & call it a day - yeah,right.The choke rod was clamped under the AV mounts,so had to loosen the screw.That's as far as I dared to go.Tomorrow I'll tackle the choke rod.

Update on the 7-10. First, with the rings aligned on the pins, the piston slid right in to the cylinder. But after I got it torqued down, the rod bolts were hitting. Pulled it back apart before the sealer set up. I can see little scratches on the oil tank side where the rod bolts were touching. I can get it to swing around free with both halves together, but not torqued down. Then, with the halves apart, and the piston in the cylinder, it will swing around freely. But, when the piston is at TDC there is a point where the crank turns, but the piston hasn't started back down yet, that you can feel a thud, like a little slop is catching up. Any ideas? I can probably get a video of the gap where the crank is moving, but the piston is not. Basically, when the piston reaches the top of it's arc, the crank journal moves a visible distance, before the piston starts to come back down.

The DE80 is on the back burner indefinitely now.I had to take the bolt out on the choke side again because the choke linkage got stuck up under the AV mount.I had a helluiva time getting the choke linkage out,but finally did.I then tried putting the f^%#*g bolt back in & after wasting over 2 hrs.on it I finally admitted to defeat.

Latest posts

Back