McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a very strong 800 & 850,plus my SP81 is no slouch either.Never done an actual timed test with a stopwatch but really cant tell any difference between them performance wise. Have a SP80 parked that needs some carb & ignition work (at least),I'll get to it one of these days.Am curious to see how it compares.Some say the SP80 & 81 have no difference,with a slight edge over the newer 82cc models,dont know if that's a fluke,in the same wood or what have you.

Any of you fellas had both the pm 850 and the sp 81? I have the 850 but the is an 81 close to me and I’m starting to twitch!!!!
I have several of both. IMO the SP81 and 850s are the two best of the 82cc 10 series saws. My best runner is my dads old SP81 he blew it years ago (a friend straight gassed it) and at that time uncle put an 850 block in it. so basically its an 850 with an SP81 tank. we switched several to 850 blocks over the years. and have some of the original SP81s still also. Find you a strong one and you will be super happy you did. the 800, 805, DE 80 and 8200 all run great. but Black and Decker just started cheaping things out some. The SP81 and PM850s were/are just all around solid saws. but don't get me wrong and 800 805 DE80 or 822 is a fine saw too.

Thanks guys. Don’t know if I’ll jump as I have the 850, a 700 and an 054 but it is very tempting.
Go ahead and get it...Remember they aren't making any more of them and they are only getting harder to find. Ya can always make more money, you will only run into so many of these old girls.

North East Tennessee MAC Report

Beautiful two days in North East Tennessee - yesterday and today. I forgot to check the temperature, but it was two shirts and long drawers this morning. I was more interested in the wind speed as I had resolved not to fall any dead ash if the recent winds kept up. Fortunately, there was little wind to contend with either day.

I took off work early yesterday to get some wood on the ground so I don't have to contend with locating other workers while felling. Only one MAC worthy tree yesterday, a dead twin trunk ash. As I explained to my friends over in the logging forum that tree is an example of why I liken my falling to the blind squirrel that occasionally finds an acorn. I tried to save a small eastern red cedar when falling the ash.

Ash.
IMG_6511.JPG

Cedar safe and sound. Ash split right down the middle with the trunks falling on different sides of the cedar.

IMG_6513.JPG

Looks like I did good. Actually, I misjudged the height of the twinning and thought the trunks would stay together.

My actual skill level is better shown here - the poor little cedar lost its top and most of its limbs thirty minutes later.

IMG_6517.JPG

I was trying to swing the tree to the right of the now splintered tree but didn't quite make it so the falling tree slid into the cedar.

Today, I mainly ran the tractor moving brush and loading trailers. Brian ran his 10-10S. It was nice to hear the MAC crackle among all the high revving off-brands.

Blurry picture of Brian in the thick of it.
IMG_6521.JPG

Lunch was provided by a local church - homemade chili and chain pizza. Brian and I both opted to skip the pizza. Hot and tasty. The chili really hit the spot and took the chill off. I was tempted to rub a little on my aching knees as they don't like cold weather tractor duty.

After lunch, we scouted out our next assignment at the range - clearing shooting lanes for a sporting clay course. Plenty of MAC worth trees coming your way soon.

Be safe.
Ron

Ok guys, it's time for me to thin the herd a bit. I want to put some money toward other hobbies that I can enjoy with my son before he doesn't want to hang out with me anymore.
Figured I'd give my friends here first shot.
The following saws are up for sale.
2 Homelite Super XLs one is an early, kind of rare manual oiler only, paint is a little rough but runs and cuts. Power head only $150
The other one is a little later, still blue, auto oiler only, paint is about 90% on this one, it will come with a 16 inch hard nose bar and chain $150
Mac SP81, runs and cuts great, has an ignition chip, wrist breaking compression, rebuilt carb, tygon fuel line with the aluminum tank bushing. $350. I have a 28 inch Oregon power cut bar and chain that can ship separate. $100
Mac PM700 condition is about 80% runs great, curs great has some Mag rot on the air filter lid $200. I have a 24 inch Oregon Power Match bar and chain that can ship separately. $75
Mac 6-10. This is a manual oiler only saw, paint is faded like it sat on a window sill for years. Good compression, runs and cuts good. Has a crappy 20inch bar and chain that can go with it if it will fit in the box. $175
Mac 2-10DSP. Runs and cuts good, rebuilt carb, new fuel line etc. Has a 16inch power match bar and chain that can go with it. Paint is peeling from inside of the fuel tank so it should be taken apart and cleaned. $100
2 Mac 3-10E. One is complete with battery box and has an SDC carb, the other had a bullfrog carb that is missing and is missing the battery box, I was gonna use it for parts. Both have good piston and cylinders but neither are runners. I have a 16 inch hard nose Mac bar and like new .354 chain to go with the SDC carb one. $175 for the pair.
2 Mac 610. Both run great, one won't oil, haven't really looked into it. Both are in good to great cosmetic shape. $75 for the one that doesn't oil $100 for the other. I have 20 inch bars and chains, one is a county line laminate, $30 the other is a Silver Streak replaceable sprocket nose $50
Mac 1-50 I rebuilt the carb and had it running about a year ago. Has 18 inch hard nose bar and chain $100
Mac 1-40 I rebuilt the carb, replaced the crank seals, I think I put a chip in it, I had it running but it was inconsistent $75
Buyer to pay shipping
PM me if you are interested or want better pics or info on any particular saw.
I may need to actually go look the saw over to remember all I did, it's been a while on some of them lol.
12565cae52cf46770b786ebd53d3b3df.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Ok guys, it's time for me to thin the herd a bit. I want to put some money toward other hobbies that I can enjoy with my son before he doesn't want to hang out with me anymore.
Figured I'd give my friends here first shot.
The following saws are up for sale.
2 Homelite Super XLs one is an early, kind of rare manual oiler only, paint is a little rough but runs and cuts. Power head only $150
The other one is a little later, still blue, auto oiler only, paint is about 90% on this one, it will come with a 16 inch hard nose bar and chain $150
Mac SP81, runs and cuts great, has an ignition chip, wrist breaking compression, rebuilt carb, tygon fuel line with the aluminum tank bushing. $350. I have a 28 inch Oregon power cut bar and chain that can ship separate. $100
Mac PM700 condition is about 80% runs great, curs great has some Mag rot on the air filter lid $200. I have a 24 inch Oregon Power Match bar and chain that can ship separately. $75
Mac 6-10. This is a manual oiler only saw, paint is faded like it sat on a window sill for years. Good compression, runs and cuts good. Has a crappy 20inch bar and chain that can go with it if it will fit in the box. $175
Mac 2-10DSP. Runs and cuts good, rebuilt carb, new fuel line etc. Has a 16inch power match bar and chain that can go with it. Paint is peeling from inside of the fuel tank so it should be taken apart and cleaned. $100
2 Mac 3-10E. One is complete with battery box and has an SDC carb, the other had a bullfrog carb that is missing and is missing the battery box, I was gonna use it for parts. Both have good piston and cylinders but neither are runners. I have a 16 inch hard nose Mac bar and like new .354 chain to go with the SDC carb one. $175 for the pair.
2 Mac 610. Both run great, one won't oil, haven't really looked into it. Both are in good to great cosmetic shape. $75 for the one that doesn't oil $100 for the other. I have 20 inch bars and chains, one is a county line laminate, $30 the other is a Silver Streak replaceable sprocket nose $50
Mac 1-50 I rebuilt the carb and had it running about a year ago. Has 18 inch hard nose bar and chain $100
Mac 1-40 I rebuilt the carb, replaced the crank seals, I think I put a chip in it, I had it running but it was inconsistent $75
Buyer to pay shipping
PM me if you are interested or want better pics or info on any particular saw.
I may need to actually go look the saw over to remember all I did, it's been a while on some of them lol.
12565cae52cf46770b786ebd53d3b3df.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
PM inbound.

Wire came out easy. No breaks. 7mm
Just finished cleaning this saw up. It’s been in the project pile for almost a year. I was able to put this bar to use. I’ll have say that this is one of my new favourites!

Attachments

• A97C7BD1-DC08-4A2E-884F-DF201B3E0F50.jpeg
    A97C7BD1-DC08-4A2E-884F-DF201B3E0F50.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 31
  • E931EA23-BC26-4BB4-AF03-BBDF05AF2164.jpeg
    E931EA23-BC26-4BB4-AF03-BBDF05AF2164.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 30
  • 2C06D7C1-C396-4401-88D7-59E39B09FC18.jpeg
    2C06D7C1-C396-4401-88D7-59E39B09FC18.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 29
Just finished cleaning this saw up. It’s been in the project pile for almost a year. I was able to put this bar to use. I’ll have say that this is one of my new favourites!
Super nice looking saw. If it gets crowded at your place I’ll “store it” for you! Love my 700!

A fellow Sagittarius, happy birth month hehe! Every now and then mine lands on Thanksgiving too. I'm on the backend of 40 somewhere, but stopped counting long ago. I was just at the ophthalmologist and she asked how old I was, then laughed when I told her I literally don't know and she had to do the math. [emoji1]
My intro to Macs was from my Grandfather when I was "knee high to a grasshopper" as he used to say, he had a 110 and a large frame. I remember the large frame having the dual black buttons, and a cup that covered the mouth of the carb when you pushed it in to choke it. 1-42 maybe? Regret every day not keeping that. Anyway, I still have the 110 and it still runs hard for what it is. Man that thing has seem some abuse too!

If there's anyone in the West Carrollton OH area that picked up a large frame like that from an auction house 20 some years ago let me know (seriously), it might be his. [emoji846]
I share the same birthday as Jimi Hendrix and Bruce Lee and I too am a Turkey baby some years[emoji512]

Homelite enthusiast in training [emoji879]

Latest posts

Back