McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it will hold, I've got at least 2 clutch covers and a set of starters that a mostly made of JB.
Before I started using Redcote for the tanks I completely filled the bottom of my ProMac 60 with JB and it hasn't leaked in 2 years.
Well that’s encouraging! I hope to get all my toys errrr I mean important tools all together for a pic soon. Appreciate all the good pics on here. I’m VERY tech stupid but working on that!

Is there anything that I should be careful or aware of about changing the wire out in a Mac coil? Twist and pull like usually? Looks like an sealant of some sort at the base of the wire?

Attachments

• 95291F33-8A80-4E69-A0E1-3CFF17D6D919.jpeg
    95291F33-8A80-4E69-A0E1-3CFF17D6D919.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
Is there anything that I should be careful or aware of about changing the wire out in a Mac coil? Twist and pull like usually? Looks like an sealant of some sort at the base of the wire?
All I know is they “McCulloch” says to use 2 part epoxy on it to assemble. So it might be factory.

Trevor,the Mac coil wires are NOT like the Homelite wires where you just twist them out.The Mac wires are epoxied in& they can be a real challenge to get out in one piece.You might want to plan on replacing the wire & having to dig the remnants out after it breaks off.Depending on which model saw you have,you could be looking at 5-8mm.wire.The 5mm is very difficult to find.

Sometimes you get lucky and they counter clockwise twist out no problems.
But honestly most of the time you have to dig the rest of the epoxy out with a pick which usually breaks the collar around the wire.
All that being said I have done at least 4 which work well.

@heimannm has a trick for cleaning those out using an extractor tool of some kind. I just saw a post about it somewhere recently.
Yes I seem to recall that post on the Homelite sticky. I’ll have to check that out again to see what Mark uses and obtain one. It looked very handy! I’ve picked the wire bits out of the C series saws. Not much fun.

Is there a screw that the wire screws into in the Mac coil?

The electronic coils are the same on the 10 Series and 600 Series saws, the 600 just have a longer plug wire.

I have this screw extractor I bought from Rocklers but I suspect you can find the elsewhere. The smallest ones I have found so far are just under 1/4" diameter so you can't use them on coils with the 5 mm plug wire.

https://www.rockler.com/screw-extra...bww2WyepRETfaYCBUzuApS-GavetBMWkaAoyXEALw_wcB
Mark

So Ladies and gentlemen I did a thing. While I know a bit about the 82cc series Macs. I dont know hardly anything about the 125s. But i found a Mac friend in BC who does. I asked him to find me one and restore it. Today it arrived. I am a proud owner of a 125. the addiction is real125 1.JPG125 2.JPG125 3.JPG125 4.JPG

2109 pages long and three years old! Quite a thread.
My experience with McCullough saws was the summer of 1962 when I got my first full time job right out of high school as a member of a TSI crew for the Forest Service. We lived in tent cabins out in the woods and used Macs with bow bars and straight bars. All Mac 10s with one BP-1 saw. That's the one with two cylinders one being to balance the other but not have any fuel mixture or spark plug. It was supposed to turn 13,000 rpm when saws at the time ran at 6-7,000. We tried to remove the governor to get it to max rpm (we were mostly 18 to 20 year olds with indulgent supervision) but the only thing that looked like a governor was a plastic funnel affair that fit in the throat of the carb to restrict air flow. I don't recall if it made a difference but since they developed a reputation for blowing up and injuring the operator that was bad enough McCullough bought all the BP-1s they could find back from the owners and crushed them, I'd say it didn't. Ours never exploded but it wasn't for lack of trying on our part.
They say that the most destructive thing on the face of the earth is an 18 year old American soldier with an M-60 machine gun and unlimited ammo but I think an 18 year old with a bunch of chainsaws to choose from and unlimited fuel and maintenance is a close second. We were working in a big old growth crown fire burn and had many huge trees to cut down. We weren't supposed to but what the heck? They wre big enough that the big bars on the saws had to be turned pointing straight into the tree to make the front wedge cut.
At that time the fallers for the mills in the area all used Homelites for their work. Macs were like a second class saw to them and ours were in the shop a lot but then we treated them poorly. I can still remember their sharp bark exhaust note. Before Osha and I'm sure they played a part in my hearing loss.

2109 pages long and three years old! Quite a thread.
My experience with McCullough saws was the summer of 1962 when I got my first full time job right out of high school as a member of a TSI crew for the Forest Service. We lived in tent cabins out in the woods and used Macs with bow bars and straight bars. All Mac 10s with one BP-1 saw. That's the one with two cylinders one being to balance the other but not have any fuel mixture or spark plug. It was supposed to turn 13,000 rpm when saws at the time ran at 6-7,000. We tried to remove the governor to get it to max rpm (we were mostly 18 to 20 year olds with indulgent supervision) but the only thing that looked like a governor was a plastic funnel affair that fit in the throat of the carb to restrict air flow. I don't recall if it made a difference but since they developed a reputation for blowing up and injuring the operator that was bad enough McCullough bought all the BP-1s they could find back from the owners and crushed them, I'd say it didn't. Ours never exploded but it wasn't for lack of trying on our part.
They say that the most destructive thing on the face of the earth is an 18 year old American soldier with an M-60 machine gun and unlimited ammo but I think an 18 year old with a bunch of chainsaws to choose from and unlimited fuel and maintenance is a close second. We were working in a big old growth crown fire burn and had many huge trees to cut down. We weren't supposed to but what the heck? They wre big enough that the big bars on the saws had to be turned pointing straight into the tree to make the front wedge cut.
At that time the fallers for the mills in the area all used Homelites for their work. Macs were like a second class saw to them and ours were in the shop a lot but then we treated them poorly. I can still remember their sharp bark exhaust note. Before Osha and I'm sure they played a part in my hearing loss.
Well everyone knows that the Homelite saws are made in fancy New York.
Cool story, and a beautiful saw congrats on the 125.

Latest posts

Back