McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great story calamari! I never get tired of reading stories like that & like the ones knightmax wrote.Better yet is hearing those stories in person.
This last July 3rd we had a bunch of people at our house while roasting a pig for the 4th.My garage door was open & people could see my saws of vintage yrs.There were a couple of younger guys (40's) that were really interested in the saws,so I struck up a conversation with them saying that each one of those saws had a story to tell.One of the guys told me he'd never heard of a McCuilloch saw.I thought he was joking at first,but found he was serious..Obviously he led a sheltered life.The one fella I spent hrs.talking to about many different things told my son that I "was a very interesting man & I had great stories to tell".I'm only 63,but I guess one day I'll be able to terll stories like @ calamari just told.I've noticed that as we get older we gain respect,maybe because we earned it.

Great story calamari! I never get tired of reading stories like that & like the ones knightmax wrote.Better yet is hearing those stories in person.
This last July 3rd we had a bunch of people at our house while roasting a pig for the 4th.My garage door was open & people could see my saws of vintage yrs.There were a couple of younger guys (40's) that were really interested in the saws,so I struck up a conversation with them saying that each one of those saws had a story to tell.One of the guys told me he'd never heard of a McCuilloch saw.I thought he was joking at first,but found he was serious..Obviously he led a sheltered life.The one fella I spent hrs.talking to about many different things told my son that I "was a very interesting man & I had great stories to tell".I'm only 63,but I guess one day I'll be able to terll stories like @ calamari just told.I've noticed that as we get older we gain respect,maybe because we earned it.
Kind words. I'm 77 and have almost killed myself and others a few times in my life. Too many, too long and not on point for here.

It sure will. Ill be 46 on thanksgiving day this year. I get called old everyday at work. I started here at 28 and was the youngest in the facility. Not so much 17 years later. Im one of the oldest.
I’m just a pup at 52 but my favorite saw story was watching my nephew struggling on a big log with a 48cc plastic queen. I saw the log when I pulled up so I grabbed my 850. After I whacked off 4 rounds and he was still on his first, ( very dull semichisel chain on the plastic queen ) he says” I’ve got to run that!!!
I kept trying to explain that he had to keep ahold of it or it would kill him. I wasn’t convinced he understood so I gave it a little throttle and bumped the nose of the very sharp full chisel chain on the side of the log to demonstrate some real kick back. He saw that big saw go flying back and his eyes got big as dinner plates!! He was now ready!!
I explained different chains to him , how to sharpen teeth/ set rakers and got him hooked on magnesium all in one day!
Good day in the woods!

So Ladies and gentlemen I did a thing. While I know a bit about the 82cc series Macs. I dont know hardly anything about the 125s. But i found a Mac friend in BC who does. I asked him to find me one and restore it. Today it arrived. I am a proud owner of a 125. the addiction is realView attachment 940246View attachment 940247View attachment 940359View attachment 940360wow thats incredible :bowdown: :numberone: congratulations! that mac is friggn wicked. One day I hope to get to that 100cc + club. Happy sawing!

It sure will. Ill be 46 on thanksgiving day this year. I get called old everyday at work. I started here at 28 and was the youngest in the facility. Not so much 17 years later. Im one of the oldest.

A fellow Sagittarius, happy birth month hehe! Every now and then mine lands on Thanksgiving too. I'm on the backend of 40 somewhere, but stopped counting long ago. I was just at the ophthalmologist and she asked how old I was, then laughed when I told her I literally don't know and she had to do the math. 😄
My intro to Macs was from my Grandfather when I was "knee high to a grasshopper" as he used to say, he had a 110 and a large frame. I remember the large frame having the dual black buttons, and a cup that covered the mouth of the carb when you pushed it in to choke it. 1-42 maybe? Regret every day not keeping that. Anyway, I still have the 110 and it still runs hard for what it is. Man that thing has seem some abuse too!

If there's anyone in the West Carrollton OH area that picked up a large frame like that from an auction house 20 some years ago let me know (seriously), it might be his. 🙂

The bar came for the 125 today. I just had to try her out. Carb tune and into the wood!

<div style="padding:75% 0 0 0;position:relative;"><iframe src="" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; fullscreen; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen style="position:absolute;top:0;left:0;width:100%;height:100%;" title="125 run.mp4"></iframe></div><script src="https://player.vimeo.com/api/player.js"></script>125 6.JPG

A fellow Sagittarius, happy birth month hehe! Every now and then mine lands on Thanksgiving too. I'm on the backend of 40 somewhere, but stopped counting long ago. I was just at the ophthalmologist and she asked how old I was, then laughed when I told her I literally don't know and she had to do the math. 😄
My intro to Macs was from my Grandfather when I was "knee high to a grasshopper" as he used to say, he had a 110 and a large frame. I remember the large frame having the dual black buttons, and a cup that covered the mouth of the carb when you pushed it in to choke it. 1-42 maybe? Regret every day not keeping that. Anyway, I still have the 110 and it still runs hard for what it is. Man that thing has seem some abuse too!

If there's anyone in the West Carrollton OH area that picked up a large frame like that from an auction house 20 some years ago let me know (seriously), it might be his. 🙂
Thankyou for the birthday greetings.

The bar came for the 125 today. I just had to try her out. Carb tune and into the wood!

<div style="padding:75% 0 0 0;position:relative;"><iframe src="" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; fullscreen; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen style="position:absolute;top:0;left:0;width:100%;height:100%;" title="125 run.mp4"></iframe></div><script src="https://player.vimeo.com/api/player.js"></script>

Haha you'll be eyeing big logs laying along the road now!

I've been working outside since last spring & the last few days I've been putting things back in the garage for the winter.I love working outside,the lighting is much better & if I drop a part,no matter how small,I can find it muchj easier on the blacktop driveway than on the ancient pitted concrete floor (that is until the leaves started falling off the trees,Lol).I've also been finding things that have been missing for quite some time like my tube of MotoSeal & my needle nose vise grip pliers.Normally the transition is kinda slow moving back into the garage,but this yr.I hadf to get things done in a hurry due to upcoming surgery next week.I'll have a long healing period & I don't know if I'll be able to go back to working on saws again.This has been my life since I got into it 4 yrs.ago.I met the co-surgeon today & he eased my apprehension a bit,but there are still risks involved.In any event,I've met a great bunch of people here who have helped me a great deal when I had questions,needed advice,or even needed an engine rebuilt (cuz I suck at it,Lol).

I've been working outside since last spring & the last few days I've been putting things back in the garage for the winter.I love working outside,the lighting is much better & if I drop a part,no matter how small,I can find it muchj easier on the blacktop driveway than on the ancient pitted concrete floor (that is until the leaves started falling off the trees,Lol).I've also been finding things that have been missing for quite some time like my tube of MotoSeal & my needle nose vise grip pliers.Normally the transition is kinda slow moving back into the garage,but this yr.I hadf to get things done in a hurry due to upcoming surgery next week.I'll have a long healing period & I don't know if I'll be able to go back to working on saws again.This has been my life since I got into it 4 yrs.ago.I met the co-surgeon today & he eased my apprehension a bit,but there are still risks involved.In any event,I've met a great bunch of people here who have helped me a great deal when I had questions,needed advice,or even needed an engine rebuilt (cuz I suck at it,Lol).
Never met you but that won’t keep me from praying your surgery goes well and that you are back at the saw bench soon! I sure understand the apprehension but remember too , sometimes they get going on the procedure and find things were much better than they thought!
Hang in there!!

You got no shortage of people pulling for ya here. I have had a few bouts with going under the knife and was graced with recovery. We all pray for your speedy healing and appreciate all your time here on the site. Keep us in the know saw wise and with your recovery, we are listening all the while.

Haha you'll be eyeing big logs laying along the road now!
Well i leave for a month long business trip tomorrow, and I could not imagine waiting another month to try her out. I have been waiting on this saw for many months. The wait for the build didn't bother me, but once she came and I had her in hand I suddenly became anxious and giddy like a kid to put her in wood. There is a BIG block of white oak at my uncles i want to put her in as the 18" Poplar in the clip i use for test cuts at the house feels just basically in the saws way and is an annoyance to it lol. I can say I have run the 82cc macs for years and have several very stout ones. my two best 82cc saws are screamers but they can't out cut this 125. My PM 1000 is, (never was a fan of the 1000 not a Mac to start with but I wanted one for the collection) well a joke next to this saw. I always wanted a 125 and I don't regret it for a second. I appreciate the help of one of the members here in making it happen. Once I get her in the big oak block to see what's she can really do, I will clean her up an sit her up and start her once in a while. The wife can sell her when I die lol. Now the only trouble is i want another one!

PS... walking to the test log i passed by a few oaks and one cherry all 24" plus. The cherry tree particularly seemed to be shaking a bit as me and the 32" barred 125 idled by LOL.

Listen I dont know you personally, but attitude and faith are everything! You recover quickly! we will be sending good energy and prayers. look forward to seeing your posts here soon!

Well i leave for a month long business trip tomorrow, and I could not imagine waiting another month to try her out. I have been waiting on this saw for many months. The wait for the build didn't bother me, but once she came and I had her in hand I suddenly became anxious and giddy like a kid to put her in wood. There is a BIG block of white oak at my uncles i want to put her in as the 18" Poplar in the clip i use for test cuts at the house feels just basically in the saws way and is an annoyance to it lol. I can say I have run the 82cc macs for years and have several very stout ones. my two best 82cc saws are screamers but they can't out cut this 125. My PM 1000 is, (never was a fan of the 1000 not a Mac to start with but I wanted one for the collection) well a joke next to this saw. I always wanted a 125 and I don't regret it for a second. I appreciate the help of one of the members here in making it happen. Once I get her in the big oak block to see what's she can really do, I will clean her up an sit her up and start her once in a while. The wife can sell her when I die lol. Now the only trouble is i want another one!

PS... walking to the test log i passed by a few oaks and one cherry all 24" plus. The cherry tree particularly seemed to be shaking a bit as me and the 32" barred 125 idled by LOL.
Lol, cherry shaking....that was just reverberations from the thump of the engine. I have been fortunate enough to find some big saws. I have a very healthy sp105. I have a 2 owner me being #2, cp125. I also have the sp125 and a sp125c. I love the sp105 and i think the cp125 is the strongest runner. Those are all so much fun to operate. Rather easy as well. They just seem to cut with so little effort. And the sound is unbelievable!!! Great video

Lol, cherry shaking....that was just reverberations from the thump of the engine. I have been fortunate enough to find some big saws. I have a very healthy sp105. I have a 2 owner me being #2, cp125. I also have the sp125 and a sp125c. I love the sp105 and i think the cp125 is the strongest runner. Those are all so much fun to operate. Rather easy as well. They just seem to cut with so little effort. And the sound is unbelievable!!! Great video
Any of you fellas had both the pm 850 and the sp 81? I have the 850 but the is an 81 close to me and I’m starting to twitch!!!!

Latest posts

Back