McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure where to post this , but does anyone know of a place in central Indiana where an old fashioned guy can just walk in to a store and buy a crab kit the old fashioned way??? Round here it’s always the same story...... I can order you one. Well even I can handle buying one off eBay and skip their mark up and do at times. I’d be glad to pay the mark up if it was in stock. Seems they want the best of both worlds Carry zero inventory but charge like you do! Grrrr
Yeah, I have one good saw shop (not dealer, but shop) that carries every carb kit known to man kind. I learned how lucky I was when I stopped into a Stihl shop in a different town to try and find a carb kit for an Echo. I’m used to setting the carb on the counter and having the guy say “Oh, that‘s a Zama C3H-RYH, it needs a C3H-X10 kit, lemme go grab one.” At the Stihl shop the guy wanted the make, model, etc and had no idea of how he could find out if one of his Stihl kits would work on it. He actually asked me if any of the kits he carried looked like they would work! The Echo shop he recommended I try said it would be 2 weeks for the kit to show up, but they even checked their bag of leftover carb bits to see if they could “build” a kit for me. Back to the O.P., I don’t know of any good shops, sorry.

It had to have been 3-4 yrs.ago I walked into a NAPA store that I used to frequent when I was in my teens & 20's.Of course they moved to a different location & had new owners too.I got to talking with the fella who worked on small engines (if you could even say that) & it came about that I told him I worked on vintage chainsaws.The conversation led to rebuilding of carbs.He said "oh we don't rebuild carbs anymore,we just put a new carb on,much easier".I was shocked! But I suppose I shouldn't have been since the Stihls & Huskys they sell are mostly made in China,so just throw a cheapie China carb on & bill the poor unsuspecting sap up the keister.

I've been down for the better part of a week now with either Covid or pneumonia.I did a lot of sleeping,not by choice.Today I actually had a bit of energy,so I decided to repair a RH start clutch.I'd had it all ready to go for quite a while.I'd ground off the rivet & popped it out of the spider some time ago,so all I had to do was hunt up a new rivet & spring.I'd never repaired one of these clutches before,so getting it in the right order took a bit & then figuring out how the spring goes on took a bit too.I'm happy to say that I now have a fully functional RH clutch.It seems to me that I had another RH clutch that needed the same repair (it could be on one of my saws yet).

I've been down for the better part of a week now with either Covid or pneumonia.I did a lot of sleeping,not by choice.Today I actually had a bit of energy,so I decided to repair a RH start clutch.I'd had it all ready to go for quite a while.I'd ground off the rivet & popped it out of the spider some time ago,so all I had to do was hunt up a new rivet & spring.I'd never repaired one of these clutches before,so getting it in the right order took a bit & then figuring out how the spring goes on took a bit too.I'm happy to say that I now have a fully functional RH clutch.It seems to me that I had another RH clutch that needed the same repair (it could be on one of my saws yet).
Best get yourself a big ole steak Ed , it'll make you feel alot better.

Now here's something that I wasn't aware of.

ITEM DESCRIPTION

Brand New Part and Fast Shipping!

Fitment:
MCCULLOCH
1-10,2-10,3-10,4-10,5-10,6-10,7-10,8-10,9-10,10-10,155,165,355,
365,375,515,605,610,650,655,700,805,850,855,SP-70 and pro mac 55,60

Just waiting on a carb kit now for this one.
Its a mash up of a 1-10 motor/oil tank with a later 10-10 tank and covers. There were some definite changes made along the way on the 10 series, mostly related to fastener lengths, thread sizes and bolt locations. Also the muffler's 3rd bolt is in a different spot, but i made some bolts up and its together now.

20220110_190042.jpg
Cut my own spike out of some plate, neither parts saw that i started with had one, so it was mostly just guess work.

20220110_190017.jpg

hung a nice little 18" oregon roller nose on it for the time being.

Just waiting on a carb kit now for this one.
Its a mash up of a 1-10 motor/oil tank with a later 10-10 tank and covers. There were some definite changes made along the way on the 10 series, mostly related to fastener lengths, thread sizes and bolt locations. Also the muffler's 3rd bolt is in a different spot, but i made some bolts up and its together now.

View attachment 955769
Cut my own spike out of some plate, neither parts saw that i started with had one, so it was mostly just guess work.

View attachment 955770

hung a nice little 18" oregon roller nose on it for the time being.
That looks really nice and straight.

Back