McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just waiting on a carb kit now for this one.
Its a mash up of a 1-10 motor/oil tank with a later 10-10 tank and covers. There were some definite changes made along the way on the 10 series, mostly related to fastener lengths, thread sizes and bolt locations. Also the muffler's 3rd bolt is in a different spot, but i made some bolts up and its together now.

View attachment 955769
Cut my own spike out of some plate, neither parts saw that i started with had one, so it was mostly just guess work.

View attachment 955770

hung a nice little 18" oregon roller nose on it for the time being.

Thats a nice saw

Looks very nice
About 3 or 4 years ago on Craigslist in Phoenix here was a guy selling a McCulloch diesel tractor. Apparently McCulloch was doing very well in Japan in the 60's and Bob McCulloch convinced one of the Japanese tractors manufacturers to brand a tractor for McCulloch, not sure if it was a Kubota, Yanmar or Iseki but I think Iseki. Apparently they brought in branded samples but never pulled the trigger on it.
This one was in great shape considering the age but needed injectors.
According to some of the old timers I worked with Bob had a hand in convincing one of the Japanese tractors guys to go into the US market.
Bob had a thing for diesels and held a lot of patents on diesel engines, even built a prototype diesel airplane engine which hung up from the ceiling at the head quarters on in L.A. after B&D sold them.
McCulloch almost ended up in the outboard business a second time in I believe the 80's with an Italian outboard manufacturer in a partnership arrangement.
Can't verify the stories except what old time marketing employees told me when I worked there, I did find a bunch of paperwork in regards to the outboard foray.

Asking for help, and shred knowledge.
My name is Eric, and I have started a small collection of McCulloch saws. Two of these are a 797 and a 6-10. Willed to my by a mentor and old family friend who passed from bone cancer. This prompted the early stages of my condition. Will looking on Craig's list for parts saws I came across a deal for four more saws( all needing some sort of repair) for $300. Seemed like a good deal 1 pro Mac 700, 2 10-10 A's, and a power Mac 6. 3 bigger saws all running right now. The fever is taking hold! Low compression on the 10- 10's and 700 makes me want to rebuild the 700 to start with. Before tearing down I would like to know if I can find parts. Such as quality piston and rings crank to rod needle bearing set. By the way this is the early version of the 700. Interested in light port work if cylinder is in salvageable condition. Saw will be used as a firewood bucking saw not a super racer.

I realize this is not the correct way to post either, but all I see under the ads is watch and jump to new?
Hopefully you can help me revive these old saws.
Thank you for time., Eric R.

I believe it was back in April there was a brief discussion about Pistons for the pro 700, a company in Greece offering a piston kit. I ordered one from them instead of LBR. I haven't tore it down yet. Compression on this saw is a bit under 50 psi, after 4 pulls of the cord. Wondering if it's seen that much use what are the bearings condition? Can you still sours bearing and seals?

I believe it was back in April there was a brief discussion about Pistons for the pro 700, a company in Greece offering a piston kit. I ordered one from them instead of LBR. I haven't tore it down yet. Compression on this saw is a bit under 50 psi, after 4 pulls of the cord. Wondering if it's seen that much use what are the bearings condition? Can you still sours bearing and seals?
Welcome aboard!!

I believe it was back in April there was a brief discussion about Pistons for the pro 700, a company in Greece offering a piston kit. I ordered one from them instead of LBR. I haven't tore it down yet.

Good lord Jethro,why not just put a 16 in.on it & watch it really throw some chips?Lol You'll still be able to take down a 32 in.tree.Serious under-kill.
When I got my 850 it had a 16” on it with a new chain. Cut some poplar the first time out with it and that was the fastest 2 rics of wood I ever cut!

PTO side bearings and seals are readily available. Flywheel side bearings are usually O.K. and the seal for the 63429 bearing (61618) are current stock so no problem there. Many 10-10 models used a different bearing, 67905, and the seals to go with those (67906) are getting hard to find. There are plenty of 67905 bearings available.

Mark

What is $100? The link I shared is a NOS spool for $19, I bought one already.

You must be referring to the upgraded spool kit....who is paying $100 for that??
I bought a plastic replacement real off eBay for my power Mac 6 put it all back together spring action was good and smooth. I pulled about 10 times to start the saw, and it twisted the center apart on the reel.
Now what?

Back