McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have several saws with the fixed H jets and while all seem pretty fat out of the cut, they all clean up nicely under load and I have a high level of confidence they won't have any problems of running too lean no matter what I do with them.

Among the saws are a PM55, SP80, SP125 (very rich), and CP125. In my limited experience I'd say McCulloch did a good job of matching the carburetion to the saws.

I have been messing with a few Homelite XL and Super 2's lately and will say that one of those little piggies is so fat it hurts. I recommended to the owner that we disassemble the saw again and lower the metering needle to try and reduce the fuel flow a bit but for now he's running it that way.

Mark
This has been enlightening for me. Uncle hates them I have carried that bias for years...Now I think I might like them lol.

Ive gotten quite a few macs with those and truly those carburetors likely saved them for.all these years. Ive swapped out some and left others alone. I have a sp81 with the sdc51and it is a beast. My go to sp81 has a sdc37 on it and it is also a beast. As mark said the 125 saws were hit and miss. I truly enjoy your stories. Bad thing is youve gotten a shot now and now youll need more. Lol...its coming.

I have several saws with the fixed H jets and while all seem pretty fat out of the cut, they all clean up nicely under load and I have a high level of confidence they won't have any problems of running too lean no matter what I do with them.

Among the saws are a PM55, SP80, SP125 (very rich), and CP125. In my limited experience I'd say McCulloch did a good job of matching the carburetion to the saws.

I have been messing with a few Homelite XL and Super 2's lately and will say that one of those little piggies is so fat it hurts. I recommended to the owner that we disassemble the saw again and lower the metering needle to try and reduce the fuel flow a bit but for now he's running it that way.

Mark
I must say the bias I have had toward them has been greatly dismantled. I too like the idea the high side is not to lean. The 51 as helped me learn better high side adjustment Mark

Happily surprised to get this in the mail today! Uncles SP 81 block for his restore is in there. All I want to do is help him build that one last saw. I almost cried when I opened the box. I called him and he wants to go through it himself. It will be on his dining room table bright and early tomorrow.Parts.jpg

Update on Bob Johnson.I got an emai yesterdayl from "Miss Joan" (Bob's lady friend).
"Bob had 2 stents inserted into a partially plugged artery. He still has one 100% plugged, they can’t do anything with that one. The alternative would be a bypass but Bob is too weak at this time to endure it. The plan is for him to go to a rehab facility soon. Still has blood issues. He will be happy to know that his McCullouch family is praying for his health."

Not NOS....Those are US Chrome reworked. They clean them up super nice.
As I understand it U.S.Chrome had a price increase earlier this yr.to $275/cylinder.By the time ya add shipping round trip it's over $300.Might be better off getting the work done through Vinny WV's buddy at almost half the cost.Granted it's not a re-chromed cylinder,but I'd bet it'd still last a lifetime.

Update on Bob Johnson.I got an emai yesterdayl from "Miss Joan" (Bob's lady friend).
"Bob had 2 stents inserted into a partially plugged artery. He still has one 100% plugged, they can’t do anything with that one. The alternative would be a bypass but Bob is too weak at this time to endure it. The plan is for him to go to a rehab facility soon. Still has blood issues. He will be happy to know that his McCullouch family is praying for his health."
Hang in there Bob J !!! We're rooting for ya!!

The 82cc saw sleeves work just fine. Im trying to talk him into a 70cc cylinder.
I have not contacted him yet. I got several jugs here that need attention. I had one that US Chrome would not do, If I ever get it back I want to send it to Ohio and see if its salvageable.

Someone told me its cooling off down where you are ?
Yeah mate had a big old southerly dump a good bit of snow around. Had a soft easy start to winter but was only a mater of time. Jack frost is here to stay for a while now.

How's summer??

Back