McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob always sent them to Woody anyway so why not go the more direct route?

If anyone wants Woody's contact information I can help but I won't post it unless he says it's O.K.

Finished up a PM650 today, while this one had been used and neglected, it still had over 150 PSI compression. My first encounter with a Walbro HDB with the high speed governor. I had to plug the governor circuit to make it run properly...I could turn the H jet in all the way and it was still pig rich with the governor in play.

Then this afternoon a local guy gifted me a PM610 that looks to be in really good shape. I'll have another saw up for sale shortly.

Mark

So the last PM 10-10 on the bench for now was this one. Super compression, the little saw hunkers down so good I videoed it. Little thing hates wood apparently lol.
View attachment 996556
There's a lot to be said about a good running 10-10. I know we like to post about the fire breathing beast in the upper CCs but man you can get a mess of work done with a crisp 10-10.
I do have one that is a very good runner and I discovered it was a. 020 over bore block.
As soon as I get moved to a new house I have a .030 over bore that I'll do some build thread pictures of, finding a house has been eating most of our time lately.

Hi guys, it's been a while!!!!! Apparently this site is not supported an tapatalk anymore????
Anyway, I've been away from saws for a while, my father had a massive heart attach last year a week before Christmas and ended up passing away a couple months ago in April. His passing was unexpected and really took the wind out of my sails as far as shop work goes. My 14 year old son has been keeping the business afloat with lawnmower repairs.
Anyways, enough about that, on to the saws. I finally, tonight, felt up to dusting off my workbench and getting to a couple problem Macs that I previously couldn't figure out. First up was a PM610 that I couldn't get to oil. Turns out the bar, even though it was marketed to fit the Mac did not have the oil port to the adjuster slot drilled 🤦. I drilled it out and it works fine now.
Next up was the Super 250. Some of you may remember I had a problem where it seemed to run way too lean, when a carb rebuild didn't fix it I assumed an air leak and tore it down for rebuild, well an NOS piston, rings and all new gaskets and seals later, I still had the same problem. A pressure and vac test proved a totally sealed crankcase. Three different carbs all yielded the same results. In frustration I shelved it for the better part of a year. Well tonight I went back to basics....... the fuel filter was plugged 🤦. When I initially got it running I replaced all of the fuel lines and used a Stihl style fuel filter in the tank but I did not flush the tank in any way. Well, I'm not sure what was in the filter, but when I broke it open it was all packed with a gray sand like substance. A new filter and we are off to the races. Hope to put them in some wood this weekend. I'm way behind on firewood.

Hi guys, it's been a while!!!!! Apparently this site is not supported an tapatalk anymore????
Anyway, I've been away from saws for a while, my father had a massive heart attach last year a week before Christmas and ended up passing away a couple months ago in April. His passing was unexpected and really took the wind out of my sails as far as shop work goes. My 14 year old son has been keeping the business afloat with lawnmower repairs.
Anyways, enough about that, on to the saws. I finally, tonight, felt up to dusting off my workbench and getting to a couple problem Macs that I previously couldn't figure out. First up was a PM610 that I couldn't get to oil. Turns out the bar, even though it was marketed to fit the Mac did not have the oil port to the adjuster slot drilled 🤦. I drilled it out and it works fine now.
Next up was the Super 250. Some of you may remember I had a problem where it seemed to run way too lean, when a carb rebuild didn't fix it I assumed an air leak and tore it down for rebuild, well an NOS piston, rings and all new gaskets and seals later, I still had the same problem. A pressure and vac test proved a totally sealed crankcase. Three different carbs all yielded the same results. In frustration I shelved it for the better part of a year. Well tonight I went back to basics....... the fuel filter was plugged 🤦. When I initially got it running I replaced all of the fuel lines and used a Stihl style fuel filter in the tank but I did not flush the tank in any way. Well, I'm not sure what was in the filter, but when I broke it open it was all packed with a gray sand like substance. A new filter and we are off to the races. Hope to put them in some wood this weekend. I'm way behind on firewood.

Glad to have you back.

Hey Kevin, sorry to hear about your loss.

In regards to the Super 250, at least you have a good saw after that. I went completely through a 32 cc plastic Mac (rings, seals, gaskets, etc.) only to find the metering lever was too high...

Mark
Hi Mark!!! Good to hear from you!!! Thank you for the kind words. I hope all is well in your neck of the woods!

Sorry for your loss.

Bummer man :( sorry to hear that
Atleast you got many many good years with him mate.

Nice to see you around again

SO Sorry to hear about your Dad. I lost mine in 08, after years of bad health.

Hey Kevin, sorry to hear about your loss.

In regards to the Super 250, at least you have a good saw after that. I went completely through a 32 cc plastic Mac (rings, seals, gaskets, etc.) only to find the metering lever was too high...

Mark
And I though I was the only one to throw the baby out with the bath water on occasion. Like the 850 with the cracked pulse nipple I rebuilt twice because I could not find the air leak lol.

Latest posts

Back